Swmming Pools & Dogs

Beagle Mum

Hi,

Well finally we have moved into our new place. The dogs have a huge yard and love it. The property has a below ground swimming pool and is fully fenced. I have checked that they can't get through the fence. But just as a precaution I want to be extra safe.

My boy beagle knows (only when I am in the pool area and he is following me) how to get in the pool via the steps. The only thing is he swims from the steps to the edge and then trys to clamber out and struggles, I have been turning him around trying to show him how to swim back to the steps as he can then get out himself.

As a precaution is there anything I can put in the pool or at the side of the pool so he can get out himself. The steps are built in the pool and the same colour so I don't know if he can actually see them.

As mentioned the pool is fully fenced but it is just as an extra precaution.

Advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Some people say if you put a pot or something near the ramp or step it gives the dog something to swim too if they fall in ...

You can also buy devices that are designed to trigger an alarm, if for example, a child falls in the pool.

There is also devices that can be attached to the dog collar which will also sound an alarm if they get wet ...

Edited by Tilly

We also have the skamper ramp, we had to add a little half noodle on the bottom of it as the dog's legs kept slipping off it. But it works. But our dogs aren't allowed in the pool without us.

We did buy some cheap 'plastic guttering' from bunnings ($3-$4) and we threaded it through our pool fence just to be double sure they couldn't get through.

We have an unfenced swimming pool so we built a dog run for Chase. He HATES the water with a passion and refuses to go near the pool though. However when we go to other peoples houses he can still get through the pool fence.......10 cm wide/off the ground is no problem for him to get through. Most of my friends put up chicken wire around the bottom end of the fencing for their small dogs as a precaution

* make sure your dogs are not able to get through the fencing at all.

* only have them in the pool area supervised then you will have nothing to worry about.

* teach them where the stairs are, being in a new pool they can't see under water and have slim chance of knowing where they are without some direction/help so teach them.

* one they start to get the idea test them with you in and out of the pool rewarding with a game/food just as they step out.

our pool has been unfence for a while due to renovations

but the dogs go no where near the pool unless we invite them in and they have learn't where the steps are.

we taught them by putting them a 1m away from the stairs let them swim to get out lots of praise on there exit.

Then 2 m away from the stairs etc etc. eventually we got them in the pool the furthest away from the stairs and they swam straight to the stairs so they knew by us teaching them.