Pet Containment Systems

GoldenGirl85

Im looking at getting some sort of electric fencing to keep my JRT away from the fenceline of my backyard, she has become a bit of a houdini and keeps digging under the fence (into a secured yard, but still) I rent so a dog run isnt an option

At the moment she is staying inside when Im out, but I think my flatmate/landlord is a bit sick of her being in every day, she also much prefers to be outside, and I prefer her to be outside

Sooo anyway, more to the point, just a few questions on these systems

*What is a good brand to use?

*Ive noticed that they seem to say from 5kg up, why is this? my girl is just on or just under 5kg

*Are they portable? by means of can the be dug up and moved to a new location, or do you need to buy new wire to move them?

*What sort of collar do they have? back in the day I tried a bark collar on her, it didnt really work but the prongs on the collar rubbed the fur off her neck, I didnt like that

Its an average sized suburban backyard, all I want to do is keep her off the fenceline

I have a solar panel one, that is used to keep horses in. My dogs were digging under, so I connected it to the fence about 20cms off the ground, right round my yard. When we move I just have to remove the electric wire from the fence and reput it on the new fence. It works fantastically, and can be used for small animals as it just bites it doesn't kick. I know I had to touch it a few times to check it worked and to show the kids how it worked.

Shell :o

Try doing a search on this forum as the topic of containment systems has been discussed previously.

I believe the weight recommendation is because the stim from most containment systems is a 'one size fits all' so when the dog goes up to the fence it gets the same level stim irrespective of whether it is a big dog or small. For a dog under 5 kg the stim therefore would generally be considered too strong.

Also you should never leave an e-collar on a dog for longer than 10 hours max, otherwise you will get necrosis of the skin under the electrodes - probably shorter in a hot humid environment. For a bark collar, a citronella spray collar that works on vibration may be better if it has to be left on for long periods.

An alternative is an electric fence type system called a 'Pingg String'. Try this site: Sureguard