Sire Record-keeping

toshman

This is just a general question to breeders out there who have male dogs at stud. I don’t breed, but I am a “consumer” so to speak!

Do most (or any/some) breeders keep records of the bitches their stud dogs serve, and the outcome of those services? I’m guessing that breeders using their own dog over their own bitches would probably do that, but what if your dog serves outside bitches? Do you keep notes? By outcome I mean number of pups produced, number of males/females in the litter, etc.; and, more subjectively, what the pups are like conformation-wise, whether any go on to be shown, gain titles (both conformation and performance) etc?

If you do keep records, does the information you obtain then influence the choices you make regarding the dog’s future as a sire?

This is just a general question to breeders out there who have male dogs at stud. I don’t breed, but I am a “consumer” so to speak!

Do most (or any/some) breeders keep records of the bitches their stud dogs serve, and the outcome of those services? I’m guessing that breeders using their own dog over their own bitches would probably do that, but what if your dog serves outside bitches? Do you keep notes? By outcome I mean number of pups produced, number of males/females in the litter, etc.; and, more subjectively, what the pups are like conformation-wise, whether any go on to be shown, gain titles (both conformation and performance) etc?

If you do keep records, does the information you obtain then influence the choices you make regarding the dog’s future as a sire?

I keep a copy of the pedigree of all bitches that come to any of my dogs ... on that I note the resulting litter details.

Apart from that I don't keep much other info, if any end up being shown I keep track of them via updates from the breeders etc.

I have a copy of the bitches pedigree and health testing. I also keep a database of things like number and sex of pups, colours produced, date bitch was served, DOB of pups. I don't keep notes on conformation as it would depend on it I got to see the litter and that isn't always possible. I do have a section for 'any other comments' for any other stand out point that wants keeping a note of.

No, it doesn't really influence my decision on my dogs future unless something unexpected came up.

I attempt to keep records of the few times I have allowed one of my boys to be used, however I have three occasions where once used and paperwork signed, I was never told how many pups were born, gender or anything else for that matter. On one occasion the only other time I heard from the breeder of the litter was when there was a problem and she tried to blame the stud dog!

Other peoples litters and their plans for the breed in the future play no part in my breeding program on the whole. Those that breed outside my co ownerships or my breeding program seldom come back to my 'nest'. I don't allow much stud work anyway, so it's really not a major part of my time with the dogs.

I am keen to know what my all my dogs produce, even those boys I have sold to others. :thumbsup:

I even let people know that if they run into any problems (health/temperament) that I am eager to know and when I suspected I had a problem popping up in my lines I sent emails to everyone who had my dogs in show/breeding AND owners of their offspring. It basically said "heads up this could be problem, please be on the look out for these symptoms, please check all your dogs" so far had nothing but good responses. My suspicions were unfounded.

I also host/run the pedigree database for the breed, so I have all my dogs offspring that has been registered. I have integrated it into my website so that all the offspring of my dogs are listed. If you go here you can see that I dog I sold overseas has all his offspring listed.

I'm also the kind of stud owner that helps to sell the pups.

Yes, I have an excel spreadsheet on dam, her DOB, health test results, date of mating, date of whelping. Live and dead whelps, any problems to do with mating, whelping and whelps. Any disqualifying marks and so forth. I also have a database of all progeny that is health tested and results.

I certainly keep records in regard to my boys' outside matings, including dates of mating, birth date, sex and colour of puppies and ask the owner of the girl to keep me updated on the development of the puppies. Prior to the servicing I obtain pedigrees of the girls and photographs and keep those on file as well. Yes, it's an added way of monitoring how the boys perform with different pedigrees and dogs and is equally as important a record keeping as those kept for our own dogs.