Super Itchy Skin - Older Dobe

Kirty

I was thinking the same thing Erny. If it is his thyroid then it is easier than dealing with the problems individually.

I would personally test his thyroid earlier rather than later purely because it is a potential issue for Dobes. If it was a breed that it was rare to non-existant in then I wouldn't but if it is his thyroid then it will potentially save you a lot of stress and other medications.

Goodluck and I hope he is feeling much better very soon.

The reason they think its not his thyroid is because all of the symptoms have been attributed to something else (which has been proven).

What's the 'something else' Kirty?

TBH Im surprised the vet said no to the thyroid test. Usually it's a process of elimination - being that he is showing some symptoms and it's something the breed is prone too, I would have thought a vet would rule it out medically rather than guess work.

I am guessing this boy is costing you a fair bit of money? :(

Try some Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, added to his food, if its thyroid related this may help, this is used by someone I met who had a dog with throid issues and he was a BIS winner who looked the peek of health . I think it was about 1 tablespoon full a day he got and he was similar size/weight to a Dobe. Fish oil capsules daily can be beneficial too for itchy skin.

The vet didn't say no to the test, the vet said lets try these things first because he doesn't fit the profile for hypothyroid. He is skinny, not fat. He doesn't have general hairloss. The wobbly legs could be caused by a huge number of things. The skin seems to be just allergies. The eye seems to be just dry eye. He also has some seriously dodgy teeth that may need to be pulled.

Yes, he is costing me a fair bit of money! I am lucky that the vets at work have checked him for me for free, but obviously the meds cost me and the trips to the local vet cost me. He is currently on 3 types of tablets, 2 supplements, 2 creams and a spray! LOL! Unfortunately we don't get a discount on path so that will be another hundred plus dollars.

Thankfully, he is already MUCH less itchy after just 24hrs so fingers crossed he stays that way.

The vet didn't say no to the test, the vet said lets try these things first because he doesn't fit the profile for hypothyroid. He is skinny, not fat. He doesn't have general hairloss. The wobbly legs could be caused by a huge number of things. The skin seems to be just allergies. The eye seems to be just dry eye. He also has some seriously dodgy teeth that may need to be pulled.

Kirty - I'm not arguing so I hope it doesn't sound that way (but I know it will, hence my disclaimer). Thing is there are Vets around who only think *thyroid* when the typical symptoms are showing.

My boy is young.

He is skinny/lean (lean now, thankfully).

Shiney coat (although back in the skin eruption days this could change almost inside 24 hours).

High energy.

Yet he was proven hypothyroid (against Vet opinion at the time).

Your Vet could be right, but I wouldn't be using a symptom such as "no inexplicable weight gain" as reason enough to think it not likely.

Edited by Erny

Your Vet could be right, but I wouldn't be using a symptom such as "no inexplicable weight gain" as reason enough to think it not likely.

It seems that between Kirty's vet and a derm nurse, a nice in house work up has been done, a course of treatment laid out and a plan put in place if things do not improve? Saying that you will test for thyroid dysfunction if the conditions do not respond to treatment is not discounting it as being a possibility. If there are limitations to funds, then conservative treatment of the existing and identifiable problems is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Thanks Rappie, thats what I am thinking. I am not ruling out thyroid either, but its not cheap so we are trying other options first. If there is no real improvement in the next week or so, we'll test thyroid function.

It seems that between Kirty's vet and a derm nurse, a nice in house work up has been done, a course of treatment laid out and a plan put in place if things do not improve? Saying that you will test for thyroid dysfunction if the conditions do not respond to treatment is not discounting it as being a possibility. If there are limitations to funds, then conservative treatment of the existing and identifiable problems is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

You're right, Rappie .... and I'm sorry Kirty. The thyroid check (I sent mine OS) cost me approximately $230.00 AUS. This figure includes the international courier fee as well as the local Vet fee for drawing. Just for your info and comparison purposes.

Edited by Erny