Ongoing Skin Problems/itchiness

I've seen a few labs with skin problems as pups, and either a change of diet or some treatment for skin mites and the problem has resolved itself.

Heard one vet says it was linked to puberty and hormone changes as well.....but I would of thought not in a young pup.

Good luck though....I do hope it is something simple and not major like some poor dogs get.

Aussielover, is the dog on medical insurance? If you take her over if she wont be used for a GD will she still be covered on the insurance, if not and you keep her you are going to be in for a lot of vet bills, you probably know this already though :confused:

NO medical insurance as GD covers all the medical costs of puppy raising, and technically she does not belong to me, so I would have been unable to get insurance anyway.

Luckily, I am a vet student and vet nurse, so I get good discounts on treatment and no consultation or dispensing fees, if i go to the vet i work for. I know if this is an ongoing issue, she will end up being a very expensive dog!

Aussielover, is the dog on medical insurance? If you take her over if she wont be used for a GD will she still be covered on the insurance, if not and you keep her you are going to be in for a lot of vet bills, you probably know this already though :confused:

NO medical insurance as GD covers all the medical costs of puppy raising, and technically she does not belong to me, so I would have been unable to get insurance anyway.

Luckily, I am a vet student and vet nurse, so I get good discounts on treatment and no consultation or dispensing fees, if i go to the vet i work for. I know if this is an ongoing issue, she will end up being a very expensive dog!

Yip, we spent around $4500 at the dermatologist last year with all the tests and 12 months worth of immunotherapy, sadly it does not look like the immunotherapy is really working for us...

I have a dog who has suffered frequent periodic bouts of hives (I'm talking hives in numbers enough to cover his body), a period of inter digital cysts and also a lesion on the inner side of his ear tip which then refused to heal and slowly but progressively became bigger. I cannot attest that his problems are all over now, but testing and finding him hypothyroidic (OS tests) and medicating for that seems to have made huge inroads to his improved health. The ear lesion, which was an open wound for over 1 year, healed within 2 weeks of thyroid medication. For that matter, he used to whack and open up the end of his tail frequently as well. I haven't seen that happen since medicating either. And that's not only great for my dog, but also for my walls which were continually blood splattered.

Puberty could have something to do with it - his problems began at 6-7 months of age and he's now 2.5 years old, but I think detecting the thyroid issue and medicating for that has provided resolution to the main issue.

Edited by Erny

i have a dog that has some very specific grass allergies. Allergic to kikuyu, but not santa ana couch. She is fine on the grass at home, but gets itchy when spending time at parks etc with kikuyu. Local vet told me many dogs have sensitivity to this grass - and it is the most common in the country. Could this be an issue with your dog?

i have a dog that has some very specific grass allergies. Allergic to kikuyu, but not santa ana couch. She is fine on the grass at home, but gets itchy when spending time at parks etc with kikuyu. Local vet told me many dogs have sensitivity to this grass - and it is the most common in the country. Could this be an issue with your dog?

I'm sure it could. I guess we won't really know until we do the food trial and allergy testing. It is pretty hard to avoid grass though! Especially as she should technically be able to go everywhere with her handler.

I am still waiting to hear from GDs as to whether they want to go ahead with further investigation. I hope they decide to look into it further, because my vet is convinced it is atopy and also you guys here have confirmed it is not likely to go away and apparently the younger they start desensitization injections the higher the success rate.

She has rubbed all the hair off her tummy :laugh: I noticed this when I was rubbing the tummy of another lab and it was all hairy. Mindy's tummy still looks like a naked puppy tummy.

But at least there is no sign of a rash or infection.

Grass pollens are a very common for dogs to be allergic to. My dog is allergic to most of them. Contact allergies are actually quite rare