Litters Due In April 2011

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question from a complete newb... I'm taking the bubs to get their dewclaws removed tomorrow... do you bring mum along or leave her at home?

I know she would have to be out of the room when it was actually being done because the minute her babies so much as squeak she's on top of them, but I think she'd be much worse if she was at home alone without her bubbas.

I'm just not sure what people generally do.

Take her and leave her in a crate in the car while you take the babies in...

ETA: I'd not take her into the surgery unless she HAS to go in.

Cool thanks :) I may end up taking her in to get checked anyway, she was having a bit of trouble this morning. I think the babies aren't really getting onto the last nipples and I cant seem to get them to latch on for very long. I've milked a bit off them and she seems much better.

I alway's take the Mum in on a lead with the Babies in a crate....

Lola is only a small breed so no reason not to... it helps her to know her Babies havent been taken away from her, and i very much doubt the Bubba's will even squeak when the dewies are removed.. any squeaking is usually caused by being , removed from their comfy warm little huddle and disturbed from their snoozing :) and they usually dont like being held upside down either :rofl:

If mum hasn't already had a vet check, then I take her too. My current vet takes the pups into a back room to do the dew claws, so mum and I wait in the consult room. I carry mum in as I don't want her walking through any nasties in the waiting room. They also stay in the car until it is our turn to go in.

I wouldn't be walking mum around at the vet either. Normally if I have to take mum & babies to the vet, I get someone else to come with me. I carry the bitch and they carry the babies. I also take a blanket or towel to put on the table as well.

Just to prove the reason why, when I was at the vets with mum and pups (there for dew claws and check up) the dog to come out of the consult room before us was a scottie with green goo in his eyes and he kept sneezing all over the waiting room while the owner stood there with the dog over her shoulder as she waited to pay.

Good luck labs26. My girl is due tomorrow, I thought today was going to be the day, last night her temp had come down a bit and she was very restless, nesting, a bit of panting on and off and didn't eat much dinner last night.

Bit of panting today, and not eating today. So maybe tonight!

Bebes had their dewclaws off today..

That was more stressful on me and Lola than I would've liked, but it's over now and the bebes are back at home having noms.

Glad that's over.

Why was it stressful? anything happen or just first timer nerves?