Desexing Puppies

Stitch

Cordelia - There is definately a bigger risk in de-sexing young animals, I'v seen 2 kittens die because they could not cope with the anaesthetic.

These poor kittens were from a shelter and had homes waiting, the new owners were devastated when they came to pick up there new babies.

That is why these vets won't de-sex to early, they don't think it's safe, and by saying a females 'bits' are to small to see, that tells me that the animals are to small and young.

Yes it's personal choice, but I do think some vets preform these proceedures simply for the money. I better clarify, SOME not all vets.

I don't think a dogs recovery rate has a lot to do with age (with the exeption of old dogs) It's an individual thing, From observations in the hospital, recovery differs greatly for animals aged the same.

I know a couple of vets who won't spey female puppys, they say they almost need a microscope to find the right bits.

i would find another vet can't find the right bits, needs a microscope wouldn;t want to take a toy breed to these vets would you.

I have a 7 week old bitch at the vets now (today) being desexed and she goes to her new home on Sunday. I will pick her up at 4pm and she will be running around as normal by 6pm.

I have had older pups done at 6-10 mths and it is very hard on them. So the people that say wouldn't do it on a young pup i don't think you realise its a very small operation on a young pup but a major one on a older dog. i have seen it again and again.

very hard on adult dogs and older pups the young pups bounce back very quickly

Tracey

My vet deals with my toys very well, she just doesn't agree with early desexing. Has nothing to do with their size. She wouldn't desex my hound puppies either.

This could go on forever, those who do vs those who don't.

If those that do desex early are happy thats fine with me, I don't but it doesn't make me irresponsible, it was an informed descision.

Thanks for the fan mail too guys!! Nice stuff in my inbox today!! Took a lot of thought some of it.