Desexing Puppies

Stitch

I know that the RSPCA has a policy of desexing everything it can get its hands on.

This practice is not supported by all vets and dog breeders.

What would be the youngest age that a male pup that was say monorchid could be desexed and I wonder if the RSPCA would carry out that operation on a young pup?

Stitch, if the pup is monorchid, you should also get the one that hasnt "dropped" removed as well. It would depend on the breed of dog, but in all honesty I wouldnt do it before the dog was 6mths (at a minimum) ideally 12mths for a male.

Jacqui

ETA: Once I would have said 12-16 weeks but have changed my mind after reading alot of info & speaking to our vets at length about it.

J

Edited by bommy

I seem to collect monorchid dogs :thumbsup:

All I can tell you is that after finding one of the "lost" testicles in the STOMACH lining!!!, that it was a BIG operation and I would NEVER do that on a dog under 6 months. I would actually leave it until fully grown except for that the undescended testicle can become cancerous.

You wanna know how many monorchid dogs I've had? FOUR - and I'm getting another one on Friday. This is getting ridiculous.

Yes, the RSPCA would carry out the op on an 8wk old pup. So would I if it was going in to be desexed anyway.

Better out than in and at a younger age, the testicle is 'usually' easier to find in a monorchid than it is in an adult.

Quicker recovery all round.

my male pup was desexed at 6 weeks and he weighed under a kilo (thru the RSPCA)

I don't know if the RSPCA would carry out that proceedure due to increased costs???????????????

our local council has now dropped the age of compulsery registration from 6 months to 3 months, to try and encourage early desexing, as the fee is a lot cheaper.

I know a couple of vets who won't spey female puppys, they say they almost need a microscope to find the right bits.

I know a couple of vets who won't spey female puppys, they say they almost need a microscope to find the right bits.

Then they don't have enough experience in doing them.

My vets have no trouble at all locating the 'right bits' within seconds of opening the pup up. Over and done with within minutes and 1 stitch to remove 7 days later.

All depends on the vets experience level with early desexing. Mine do over 15 a day 4 days a week so it isn't an issue. :o

Early desexing is DEFINETLY necessary at shelters because if the animals wern't desexed at adoption, they would be contributing to the large number of unwanted strays. The policy years ago at all shelters was when a puppy was adopted out, it would have to be returned at 6months of age for desexing. Well, guess what? Alot of dogs never came back, but instead, their puppies did!! I have had alot of experience with early desexing and in my opinion, I am all for it. Puppies and kittens have a quick recovery and can even go home the same day of surgery. My poodle x was desexed at 12weeks of age, she is now 9yrs and she has had no problems from early desexing. It seems harsh for a kitten or pup to go into surgery at such a young age, but their recovery is just amazing.

I agree 100% with Cordelia - if they cant find the right bits, they musn't have much experience in desexings.

Pug and Cordelia - They are VERY experienced vets, they don't agree and will not preform de-sexing B4 6 months of age, therefore they may not have a lot of experience in de-sexing very young animals.

Just to clarify that's all, as I said one of my boys was done at 6 wks, and no probs,

I just think for me that they are only babies and it seems a bit mean, i'd prefer to wait till the 6 month mark.

Pug and Cordelia - They are VERY experienced vets, they don't agree and will not preform de-sexing B4 6 months of age, therefore they may not have a lot of experience in de-sexing very young animals.

Just to clarify that's all, as I said one of my boys was done at 6 wks, and no probs,

I just think for me that they are only babies and it seems a bit mean, i'd prefer to wait till the 6 month mark.

Hmm I don't understand that. Dogs have no reasoning... Puppy's don't think

"Hey I am a baby and I think it would have been fairer to desex me when I was older!"

There is no more pain for them as puppies than when they are older (probably less actually as they heal quicker as pups). Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Look Noone was saying puppies think like this but it does pull at your heartstrings putting a baby through such a major op and if I ever loose that feeling of loving my pups and wanting to protect them from pain when they are babies I think it will be time to give up breeding . Apart from that I would consider my vet extremely experienced and one of the few Ive seen with a major in canine medicine and she wont desex before 5 months. Its not that she cant or doesnt know how or hasnt done enough of them . She desexes my kittens at 8 weeks . Its because she doesnt believe its good for the dog to do them as early as this. Thats because her perspective isnt just on a welfare point of view . It wuld be in her best interest to do them so young as she would then get the money instead of some other vets when they are 6 months old

Early desexing is DEFINETLY necessary at shelters because if the animals wern't desexed at adoption, they would be contributing to the large number of unwanted strays. The policy years ago at all shelters was when a puppy was adopted out, it would have to be returned at 6months of age for desexing. Well, guess what? Alot of dogs never came back, but instead, their puppies did!! I have had alot of experience with early desexing and in my opinion, I am all for it. Puppies and kittens have a quick recovery and can even go home the same day of surgery.

Animals adopted from animal shelters do not automatically contribute to the large amount of unwanted pets. Bad owners do and thye do not adopt from shelters! There were very, very few animals that were not desexed at the required time at the shelter I managed and I was there 10 years. Most pets can come home the same day they are desexed.

I understand why shelters do the early desexing but I don't agree with it and got my 2 kittens from a "free to good home". Getting a pup or a kitten from a shelter is no longer possible for me because of the early desexing. My vets do all the shelter's desexing but they don't agree with it.

My Vet has the same stand Steve, and she is not an inexperienced soul either.

She simply does not believe it is in the best interest of the puppies.

We actually do not have a Vet in this area who will desex baby puppies.

Look, when it comes down to it, it is personal preference. Agree or don't agree as long as a pet dog ends up desexed at some point prior to having a season/litter, I don't care!

My comment regarding a vet being inexperienced was based on the comment that a vet wouldn't early desex because the 'bits' were too hard to find. Sorry, but that is the poorest excuse not to desex and I seriously would worry and not allow a vet who couldn't find organs in a pup to do early desexings on my babies.

I usually suggest 16wks as a good age to desex when talking to other pet owners. Pup not so small that the owner feels 'bad' about putting them under anaesthesia.

Personally, I just don't trust the general population enough to not desex early. The risks for me just don't outweigh the enormous potential for desexing to fall by the wayside in a busy, normal household and too many people have proven this right. (I currently have 2 bitches who whelped here, another litter I'm handrearing, another pregnant bitch and picking up 2 more pregnant girls this week.

At least for me, I know I'm stopping the cycle for the dogs/pups in my care. That not one of mine will ever contribute to the problem of undesexed animals and unwanted litters (or wanted litters for that matter).

For a Rescue......there should be no other choice.

We desex our puppies early. When they go off to new homes in other towns, how do you know the new owners will desex them?

Our pups are dropped at vet in morning and picked up in the afternoon. They recover a heck of a lot more quickly than the older dogs.

It would be insane for us to rehome entire pups here... the mindset being a litter is good or 'fixed' dogs won't work (which is just so much crap).

I do not breed so many puppies that I cannot keep track of them, I am very very careful who I place puppies with. It is my choice not to desex early and I have that right. Certainly, for rescue organisations they are dealing with a whole different ball game. If I sell older puppies to pet homes, they are desexed before leaving. Same goes for any adults that may be placed out as pets.

I agree Cordelia that it is a personal choice, and for me, and my vet, we choose not to do it. If other breeders feel happy to desex their babies then that is up to them and it is their choice. I have no problems with Rescues doing it, it is what they have to do.

What sticks in my craw is that you get the feeling that we are seen as not being RESPONSIBLE by selling baby puppies that are entire.

My babies are planned, lots of planning goes into a litter. They are raised and sent off to their new homes having been given every opportunity to be the happiest healthiest little folk I can make them be. By the time one of my babies passes into someone elses hands we all have had time to get to know each other and I am happy that they are going to responsible, caring, forever homes. For me part of raising a puppy to maturity is allowing its body to grow as naturally healthy as possible. I feed a varied and very healthy diet, I allow the puppies to play and experience lots of different things. I keep them healthy but do not subject them to too many chemicals or drugs. Allowing the puupy to grow with its hormones interacting as they should, to me, is part of its growing process.

If I didn't think I was doing the best I could for my puppies then I would be irresponsible.