Family Attacked By Dogs On Melbourne Street

SwaY

sometime dogs are nasty peices of crap and should not be on this earth.

Yeah i feel bad for the people but i bet you 100% that its the owners fault no dog is ever nasty by itself its always the owner.

That just isn't true - genetics play a very big part in a dog's makeup.

This is why people need to make sure that they purchase dogs from stable lines.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are alot of red nose pitties in this area and it really does nothing to help BSL.

The saddest part about that is the 'red nose pit' being more aggressive is a complete myth. It's just a colour. A long time ago, before pitbull terriers were bred by every muppet with a desire to look 'hard', the red coloured dog was bred because it looked striking and came from a lineage where the dogs that were bred had a reputation as good fighters. These days it's just a colour.

When I talk to people about pitbulls I try and get them to focus on the 'terrier' and not on the 'bull'. Terriers - say the word, and people think of tenacious litte ratters; obstinate, determined little dogs who just won't quit. Play fetch with a jack russell terrier and a tennis ball, and at some point you might expect to be able to pick the entire dog up by the tennis ball that it's holding in its mouth and won't release.

However people expect terriers to be like that, and most terrier owners know what they're getting into and understand that they'll have to curb, train and moderate that tenacity.

However, stick those characteristics into an average 23kg dog body, and you get myths, legends, accusations of bite pressure per square inch akin to a White Pointer, anatomically unfounded claims of 'lockjaw' (do JRTs have lockjaw when they won't let go of the tennis ball?) and basically a whole plethora of total bollocks that makes pitbull terriers into larger than life devil dogs, who attract the wrong kind of people who then work to perpetuate the myths.

It's all about perspective. If people focused on the 'terrier' aspect of pits and staffs, we might not be in this state. (Similarly, if people understood that 'teacup' is a euphemism for 'runt of the litter', at least some of the BYBs would go out of business.)

There are alot of red nose pitties in this area and it really does nothing to help BSL.

The saddest part about that is the 'red nose pit' being more aggressive is a complete myth. It's just a colour. A long time ago, before pitbull terriers were bred by every muppet with a desire to look 'hard', the red coloured dog was bred because it looked striking and came from a lineage where the dogs that were bred had a reputation as good fighters. These days it's just a colour.

When I talk to people about pitbulls I try and get them to focus on the 'terrier' and not on the 'bull'. Terriers - say the word, and people think of tenacious litte ratters; obstinate, determined little dogs who just won't quit. Play fetch with a jack russell terrier and a tennis ball, and at some point you might expect to be able to pick the entire dog up by the tennis ball that it's holding in its mouth and won't release.

However people expect terriers to be like that, and most terrier owners know what they're getting into and understand that they'll have to curb, train and moderate that tenacity.

However, stick those characteristics into an average 23kg dog body, and you get myths, legends, accusations of bite pressure per square inch akin to a White Pointer, anatomically unfounded claims of 'lockjaw' (do JRTs have lockjaw when they won't let go of the tennis ball?) and basically a whole plethora of total bollocks that makes pitbull terriers into larger than life devil dogs, who attract the wrong kind of people who then work to perpetuate the myths.

It's all about perspective. If people focused on the 'terrier' aspect of pits and staffs, we might not be in this state. (Similarly, if people understood that 'teacup' is a euphemism for 'runt of the litter', at least some of the BYBs would go out of business.)

Sorry wasn't saying that red nose pitties are more aggressive(I love pitties), just that there are a heck of a lot around here belonging to idiot owners being bred in backyards from people who shouldn't own a dog let alone breed them and for some reason like to show how tough they are and parade them around the streets off lead, too many accidents waiting to happen and it makes all dog owners come up in a bad light because of the rednecks :)

sometime dogs are nasty peices of crap and should not be on this earth.

Yeah i feel bad for the people but i bet you 100% that its the owners fault no dog is ever nasty by itself its always the owner.

Instinctive aggression towards people (particularly strangers) can be selectively bred for just like any other trait. There are several dog breeds that have been developed to display aggression to anyone they do not know.

A few folk here have seen pups as young as 3 weeks demonstrate people aggression.

Any dog is a combination of genetics, environment and training. Aggression can be created by any or all of those factors.

Ditto dog aggression. If you blamed the owners of dogs that display dog aggression for all of their dog's problems, not only would you be wrong but unfair. It's simply not the case.

I was lucky enough to sit in on the last Restricted Breed Review Panel in Victoria and have seen how hard Manningham Council fought to kill those two dogs. The dogs had never been accused of anything except looking like "pit bull types". Victorian Councils sink massive resources (including big money) into fighting these battles. Those two Minter Ellison lawyers in the picture would not have come cheap.
DPI staffer reveals their secret weapon, the Pit-o-Meter

I'm not even going to dare ask how this tool Is being used to Identify a breed ;)

What In the world are they going to come up with next :confused: And how many more of these sorts of silly Id'n contraptions have to be proven worthless In accuracy before they realize there Is simply no guarantee Of determining a dogs breed 100% unless It's papered/or parents of the dog In question are avaiable for DNA tests

After five months being held at the pound, this 9 y/o family dog with no history of aggression is finally allowed to go home

What a waste of time and money! Lucky for him he had devoted owners willing to fight, not many get that chance unfortunately....but seriously Incarcerating a senior dog with no agression Issues or any other Issues for that matter, haven't they got better things to do?? I can surely think of better use of all that money too!

Sorry gone off topic, so dogs In question have been pts, what about the owners? Have they been dealt with I wonder