Late Night Puppy Arrival

obsolete

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for all the questions and the possibly incoherent post.

I'll be picking up a Great Dane/Catahoula cross puppy this Thursday night from the airport. The thing is he arrives at around 11pm and I'm trying to make the best start possible in terms of his experience with us at home and training. Is there any way I can make things easier for the little fella, especially since it's going to be late? We have another dog (3 years) and a cat (~ 2 years). They are not aggressive and usually keep to themselves. Should I keep them away for the first night while the puppy gets used to his new home?

Also, I'm intending to crate him but am a little unsure if buying a crate before I can confirm his size is a good idea. Any recommendations on this? Is it a good idea to have a crate and then a surrounding play pen? (I saw this in another thread). With the crate, is it okay to move it around, for example in the kitchen/lounge during the day and to the bedroom at night.

One last thing (for now), I've been trying to read up regarding training etc. and have been looking at Cesar Milan stuff. Are there any good books you consider worthwhile for puppy training?

Thanks for your patience!

Our dog got home at 11pm. We couldn't seperate so just started as we meant to continue. 16 months later they're best of pals. If you can seperate them though, it might not be a bad idea to reduce stress.

You can move the crate around, I did it with no problems, but found it easier to use a crate at night and just move a playpen around during the day. I never connected the two as they were seperate purposes. Pen for containment, crate for sleep.

I would bring him home, let him have a wee/poo then put him in the crate with some water and let him sleep.

You obviously dont know the temperament and how the pup will cope with the travel so let him have a break instead of immediately having to deal with a whole new dog/cat. I never let new dogs with my own on the first few days until they have settled in and I have control over the situation. By then my own dogs are used to the new dogs smell/noise and there is no excitement between that can turn nasty.

Many crates come with a divider so you can make it smaller while the pup is growing. Because its a cross it could be any size, how big were the parents? Catahoula/dane is a pigging mix, and the catahoulas are still a rare breed, I suggest you give these people an email http://www.currantcatahoulas.com.au/ ASAP for advice as few people will be able to give you better info on what kind of training for your dog then someone who has had the breed for so long.

Basics for training though are

- your pup knows nothing, physically show it what you want, then reward

- if your pup chews/pees/poos dont punish it, its your fault for not being vigilant

- be strict and work harder now at this age as you shape how the dog will be for the rest of its life

- be CONSISTENT with commands

- say a command once, show the pup, reward

- dont accept any biting, mouthing now. It wont be fun when its an adult in fact it can be dangerous. If the pup bites you slip your thumb under the tongue, press until you hear yelps then walk away.

- remember pups have very weak bladders, outside and say 'toilet' every half an hour or with every change of activity. If you keep saying 'toilet' every time your dog toilets you will end up with a dog that toilets on command. I dont use treats I just keep saying 'toilet! good dog, toilet!'

for basic training have a look at Ian Dunbar's website

www.dogstardaily.com

This was to be my suggestion & you can download his books before & after you get your puppy for free. easy to read & you will see the crate in the play pen idea.

Also youtube look up kikopup excelent vids.

Edited by luvsdogs