Muscle Tone In Senior

Tara and Sam

Tara is now 14 years old

over the last few years I have kept syaing to the vet about her looseing weight

and was only told it is her age

Ok fair enough some older ones can loose weight but it has been bothering me

after Sam passed away 2 months ago , she was fretting and didnt apear to like the food they were both eating

so have changed her diet and now she eating better

when she was clipped by groomer I mentioned her weight loss to her and finally someone mentioned loss of muslce tone and explained it better to me than the vet did

weight loss due to muscle tone

we have non slip matting on floor which helps with her legs slipping on her ( we had them last few years due to Sam's hip problem he had ( HD )

from Bunnings , can buy it in metre lenghts )

she eats from her bowl and her little back legs do the splits on her

the mats are helping her

but is there anything else medication wise that would help build up the muscle tone ?

Sam was on Glucosamine and fish oil caps , but he never lost muscle tone in his back legs

another thing Tara does is to be calm and just walk around then all of a sudden she just takes of and runs madly around house or yard , almost like out of control

to the point I have to try and stand in her way to try and stop her before she breaks a leg

did mention this to vet few weeks ago and possibly neurological :rofl:

she is deaf , and almost blind and has become so insecure last few years , but worse since Sam passed away

she wants to be with me the whole time if she can

and wont stay outside by herself

Thanks

Ive been keeping an eye on my older dogs muscle tone as well, she has lost a little muscle although she is a very lean gsd around 32 kg.

I make sure she has two short walks a day. I believe exercise is the key, same as us humans . She is very wobbly in the back end so we dont overdo it. I give here a rub in the hip area to get her going. I believe that helps.

A good orthopedic bed to sleep on at night. I intend on getting a harness for when Sophie gets worse to help steady her when we walk. Do you walk your girl on a lead? I,m outside a lot and my dogs follow me around, they like to come inside when I do. I have no problem with that.

I make sure Sophie eats some fat food to keep her weight up, Glucosimine, fish oil and a monthly cartrophen injection.

Can you make Tara sit to eat or put her bowl up higher?

It must be hard for them to loose a mate they have been close too. Do you plan on getting another dog?

My nearly 13 year old has lost a lot of muscle in his hind legs over the past couple of years. He has spondylosis in the spine, which I'm sure is a big contributing factor. He now weighs under 20kg which is very light for a male Vizsla, even for a small one like him. More recently though he's had noticable muscle loss on his head which is a bit sad even though I know it's just an age thing. When I mentioned it to my vet all she suggested was fish oil tablets.

My nearly 13 year old has lost a lot of muscle in his hind legs over the past couple of years. He has spondylosis in the spine, which I'm sure is a big contributing factor. He now weighs under 20kg which is very light for a male Vizsla, even for a small one like him. More recently though he's had noticable muscle loss on his head which is a bit sad even though I know it's just an age thing. When I mentioned it to my vet all she suggested was fish oil tablets.

I,m surprised your vet didn't say to take a glucosamine supplement as well, my vet said try everything fish oil, glusc/ chondroit, sardines. The cartrophen injections before winter sets in(now monthly). They are supposed to slow the joint deterioration down.

It looks like our dogs are not overweight, its just old age catching up with them and all we can do is keep them mobile and happy and hopefully free from pain. I have noticed when I dont walk my oldie for one day she is much stiffer the next time around. The sun is out for a change so we are off for a walk now :rainbowbridge:

I,m surprised your vet didn't say to take a glucosamine supplement as well, my vet said try everything fish oil, glusc/ chondroit, sardines. The cartrophen injections before winter sets in(now monthly). They are supposed to slow the joint deterioration down.

Probably because he's already getting all that :rainbowbridge: But, for directly helping with the actual muscle loss she seemed to think that the fish oil was the most beneficial??

Edited by FHRP

Probably because he's already getting all that :rainbowbridge: But, for directly helping with the actual muscle loss she seemed to think that the fish oil was the most beneficial??

Maybe Flynnie needs a weight program and protein supplements. He could be massive.. fully sic maite.

That or more fish food. :rainbowbridge:

Maybe Flynnie needs a weight program and protein supplements. He could be massive.. fully sic maite.

That or more fish food. :rainbowbridge:

I'm sure he's wiling to try both options, at once :rainbowbridge:

I would like to take my oldie swimming but the cost is just to much for it to happen often enough to be of any benefit. She no longer goes on regular walks as she was coming up lame so often. She is also a bit wobbly on the back end and has lost 2kg in muscle mass, mostly from the rear, although some from her shoulders and head to (but that can only be felt, not seen yet). She seems to have a nuero problem with the rear end as I can turn her back feet under and she doesn't put them back immedieatly like a younger dog would.

But, she still likes a game of fetch and the occasional trot around off lead so long as she can stop and rest every so often

They say if a person takes fish oil and works out at the gym it helps build up muscle mass faster. I dont know how this relates to an older dog as most have trouble moving and are not very active.

Regardless I,d say its better for them to take fish oil than not take it as its known to have an inflammatory benefit.

I can see my girl going down hill each day, yesterday she was very wobbly.

Edited by dianed

Tara has lost weight over about 2 years

just over 3 kilos

as mentioned I have mentioned to vets but didnt mention muscle tone

only my groomer explained it more to me

we have a 1/4 acre house yard , so both her and Sam had good exercise around the yard , and also to the local park near by

yes she is on lead when walking or the park as she is deaf and safer for her to be under our control with the lead on her

she use to stay outside with me when out there , but since Sam passed away she seems more secure inside

we have started her on the Glucosimine and fish oil

we use to have Sam's bowl up higher for him as it did ease his HD and arthritis

so will try that with her as well , the water bowl has stayed up higher

I would love another dog for her , but at the moment I chose not to as mum has had a cancer op and feel as though didnt have the amount of time to devote to a new addition at the moment

allthough Tara got on well with mums dog when mum stayed here after the op

her muscle tone seems to around her hind legs area

I am also thinking there is a problem with her back / lower spine area

going to look into x-rays to check soon

Tara isnt stiff in her legs , they just tend to do the splits on her

just made me remeber also , other day she had like spasms in her hind quarters while she was sleeping on the floor next to me

maybe a pinched nerve?

would the swimming or hydro pools help with the muslce tone also ?

I can turn her back feet under and she doesn't put them back immedieatly like a younger dog would.

I forgot about that test as the vet did that to Sam , and his foot didnt come back quicker

Thanks for replies

This is such an accurate description of Grumpy. Today he jumped up on the bed, got about halfway and got stuck. I had to very quickly give him a shove up, poor little man.

This is such an accurate description of Grumpy. Today he jumped up on the bed, got about halfway and got stuck. I had to very quickly give him a shove up, poor little man.

Yes have to do the same with Tara ( 14 kilo )

Sam we know had a backproblem and last few years we let him get his front feet into the car then he looked at us to lift his back of body up into the car

Sam was 40 kilo , but we did it for him as he loved sitting / laying in back seat of the car :thumbsup:

Sam didnt loose Muscle tone in his hind quarters though or do the splits

Is it just the moving they do when dreaming?

I would make sure the feet are well trimmed so they have better grip on the floor and keep toenails well trimmed.

Its like the movement they do when dreaming but I think its more than that. More like a shaking/spasm type movement of the limb. I am sure its related to the deterioration of the leg due to arthritis and muscle loss. The other day I noticed only Sophie,s worst leg doing it while she was asleep.

Had the old boy at the vet yesterday for a bit of chiro and general check up, he's going great guns at the moment :love: I discussed the muscle loss in the head (this is different vet) and we can also attribute it to Flynn being chemically castrated last May. Without the testosterone, there is some muscle tone loss. I know it's not going to be the case in all old dogs, but it did comfort me a bit :love:

Edited by FHRP

Had the old boy at the vet yesterday for a bit of chiro and general check up, he's going great guns at the moment :thmbsup: I discussed the muscle loss in the head (this is different vet) and we can also attribute it to Flynn being chemically castrated last May. Without the testosterone, there is some muscle tone loss. I know it's not going to be the case in all old dogs, but it did comfort me a bit :love:

No worries FHRP. With all the weight pulling and sledding Flynn will be doing, he'll be beefed up in no time! :love:

• 2 weeks later...

Had Grumpy at the vet today. Vet didn't think Grumpy's muscle tone was too bad at all. He's suggested that to keep an eye on him and that if I think he's getting worse, we'll discuss cartrophen injections.