Who Feeds Canned Dog Food?

Hello there,

I currently feed Sally(Rescue kelpie) good quality dry with some raw mixed in, only because i want her to eat something! (She's not a food freak, except if she finds it at the park :rofl: ) Vet said she need good nutrition as she has a few joint problems

So, I guess it depends if your dog is a glutton or fuss pot or needy?

Our old dog Zac passed on last year at age 17. He was a very "hardy" dog, and not fussy whatsoever. We gave him dry food and mixed it with canned fish (cat food) only homebrand I'm afraid, but it was mainly whole fish plus jelly.

Everyone said how good he was for his age...vet said he was amazing considering he was a large dog.

So go figure :rofl: I guess it comes down to the dogs "consistitution" and individual needs.

I've given my dogs i/d cans when they were unwell, but otherwise I would not feed cans.

I find the smell quite horrendous actually.

It gives a lot of dogs diarrhoea if they are not used to it. It can't be any good for their teeth either.

Then there is the problem of what to do with the leftover, my dogs have never been big enough to receive a whole can. I don't want it to stink out my fridge either... :rofl:

Mine gets whatever. One dog is really lazy and doesn't like bones so he gets dry and canned fish for dogs/holistic select/tuna cans, commercial barf n home-mix offals+meat+pureed veg. I feed whatever is convenient.

Eta: I use pet can covers to store leftovers in my fridge or use small cans :rofl: defrosting barf or mixes in my fridge leaves smells too which I counter with baking soda.

Edited by minyvlz

Mine get it occassionally but it is either NG or Optimum and it is only a spoonful mixed in with their dry food.

I would prefer to give raw meat ontop of the dry but Lewis cannot handle it so either I cook meat which I am sometimes too slack to do or I give them a little tinned from time to time.

They also get sardines, yoghurt, cream cheese and other meat and raw meat off cuts and bones.