Adjusting New Puppy To Crates, Kennels And Dog Runs.

Naomi

I'm expecting a complaint from the neighbours any day now. :hug:

I don't get it though. I'm leaving him with pigs ears to chew on, treats to find, and a treat dispensing toy (which I switch with the kong some days) as well as toys to play with (which are rotated) but when I watch him from inside he just ignores them completely while he whines??

Be proactive and go over and tell your neighbours what's happening and ask them to bear with you whilst puppies gets used to your home.

What don't you get? A stressed dog isn't going to be interested in toys or food.

I reccomend you change your method, this one isn't working. As per my post above I reccomend Crate Games.

Naomi - also try listening to Dr Ian Dunbar's iWoofs program - ep 1.05 Home Alone - he talks about dealing with a lot of behaviour similar to what you've described. You can stream via his website (dog star daily) or find iWoofs on iTunes for free :hug:

Thanks Meh. I had heard crate games mentioned once before but when I wanted to find out more about it I couldn't find it again. I will definitely look into this!!

Stonecutter, thanks! I will check this out too. I appreciate the help.

Ok I think we are back at square one. He was doing okay for a while it seemed but at the moment he is still taking forever to settle. He is barking or howling every now and then but when he does it, he keeps it up for a while. I'm expecting a complaint from the neighbours any day now. :happydance:

I don't get it though. I'm leaving him with pigs ears to chew on, treats to find, and a treat dispensing toy (which I switch with the kong some days) as well as toys to play with (which are rotated) but when I watch him from inside he just ignores them completely while he whines??

I'm going to pick up some bones on the way home from work to try on him tomorrow. I'm just hoping he isn't barking during the day but it wouldn't surprise me.

I put him in the pen half hour early today to see if he would settle before I left for work at 9. Just as I was typing he stopped. Only took him 25 minutes today. :happydance:

I should clarify that this post was about him out in the run, not the crate. When I say 'pen' I was referring to the run. Sorry for any confusion.

Naomi - also try listening to Dr Ian Dunbar's iWoofs program - ep 1.05 Home Alone - he talks about dealing with a lot of behaviour similar to what you've described. You can stream via his website (dog star daily) or find iWoofs on iTunes for free :rofl:

I finished listening to this one this morning. He suggest to feed all meals from food dispensing chew toys. At first in the crate, and later on moving on to a play area, and then finally progressing to leaving the pup to have full run of the house with these food toys while you are away.

Archie won't be inside while we are gone. He is only a puppy and he would surely have an accident. Do you think his method would still work if I started Archie with dinner in chew toys in the crate, and then progress him to having these in his dog run instead of an inside play area like Ian Dunbar suggests?

It was a great listen though. I'll have to teach Archie how to 'speak' and then 'shoosh' like he suggested. Except I lack a doorbell so I will have to find some other lure to get Archie to bark. Hah.

Okay so today is the second day in a row that Archie has been out in his run with no whining or barking. He seems to sleep a lot of the time because I'm making the extra effort to tire him out before he is in the run.

When he is awake though, he is usually occupied with his food dispensing treats or the pigs ear. I followed the advice from the iWoof program and began feeding him all his meals from the treat dispenser toys. Keeps his mind active. I only give him the food in his run, or in his crate if he is inside. It appears to be working really well. I've also ordered the crate games DVD and that should be here next week. :)

As far as treat dispensers I have a kong, ball, and a tug-a-jug which I introduced to him a few days ago. I'm going to get a few more so I can rotate them. Anyone have suggestions?