Adjusting New Puppy To Crates, Kennels And Dog Runs.

Naomi

My Aussie pup arrives in a few weeks. When we are home I would like the puppy inside with us and I would also like it to sleep in it's crate of a nightime (near our bed). Of a daytime when we are at work or away I plan to keep it outside in a dog run with a kennel.

I want to train it to get use to these situations from day one as this is how it will be all it's life. We have a long weekend when he comes home which gives him three days to settle and on day four we are both back to work/uni. So by this time I want to make sure he is well adjusted to the idea of being outside in the pen and comfortable in using the kennel.

How do I get it to like the crate? He will be sleeping in it on the first night so this is one of the first things I need to get him to like. My doggie book tells me to start by feeding him treats with the door open, but it doesn't really explain when I should start to shut the door and how long I should leave it shut for when he is getting use to it?

Then next we want to introduce him to his dog run and kennel. I have kong toys to keep him busy while we are away.

Hey Naomi

See if you can get a piece of blanket or something from their mother's den to take with you to put in the crate. I've been told that it will make the transition a bit easier.

I found the books you can download from http://www.dogstardaily.com/ really helpful in explaining crate training - apparently you close the door the first time for only a minute and then open. I've read that a rule of thumb is that they can stay in the crate for 1 hr for every month of age - though that does sound like a lot!

Hey Naomi

See if you can get a piece of blanket or something from their mother's den to take with you to put in the crate. I've been told that it will make the transition a bit easier.

I found the books you can download from http://www.dogstardaily.com/ really helpful in explaining crate training - apparently you close the door the first time for only a minute and then open. I've read that a rule of thumb is that they can stay in the crate for 1 hr for every month of age - though that does sound like a lot!

That's a stupid rule.... and when you consider how long people, and puppies sleep for overnight, it's not a lot at all. If people followed that rule you wouldn't be able to crate train properly!!

I think that rule is for during the day - not for when the pup is asleep.

It seems that in the US, some people crate their dogs all day when they're at work (10+ hours) and then at night too. I think the point of the rule is that you shouldn't crate your dog for long periods during the day.

IMO, the rule only applies to when they are a few months old. I certainly wouldn't crate a 10 month old dog for 10 hours during the day.

...I found the books you can download from http://www.dogstardaily.com/ really helpful in explaining crate training - apparently you close the door the first time for only a minute and then open...

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I don't plan on leaving the pup in the crate during the day while I'm away. He'll be outside. The only time he'll be in the crate is for sleeping. Maybe I should just get him use to the crate, and shut the door after he is asleep?

I can only highly recommend Ian Dunbar's site quoted about :rofl:

What I would do is have the crate on the floor, door open and treats inside. Every time the pup ventures in it, he gets treats and gets positively reinforced for getting in on his own accord. Once your pup is comfortable doing so, I would stuff a kong on a rope (or similar toy) with some really yummy smelly food. Show the kong to your pup, tie it up safely at the back of the crate and shut the door with puppy outside the crate. If everything goes according to plan :rofl: your pup will want to get in and paw / bark at the door.

Open the door and let him go in so he can have a good lie down and chew at the toy.

Repeat this process a few times until your pup is completely happy about going inside and understands that going in means getting a super yummy toy to chew on quietly. Only then would I start shutting the door on your pup.

Good luck with your new pup, and don't forget to post a million photos!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just reviving this thread again. Archie is home now and whilst he is great with the crate then outside pen is a different matter. We have been home with him since he has arrived. But tonight we are going out to dinner with friends and we want him outside while we aren't home. We have him outside now as a test run for tonight and he won't stop crying. I have toys and a kong out there for him but he is showing no interest. Any advice?

You 've left the training a bit late ... I would have suggested a few minutes each day, a few times a day ..to eat his meal, or treats..gradually lengthening the time . If he cries.. do NOT talk to him, or let him out. Even if he goes for a hour. he now has to learn that his noise brings no relief . When he's quiet, preferably sleeping or playing ..THEN go and just let him out... No talking or fuss. Just open the gate and carry on with what you are doing . NO "poor charlie, now I'll get you out ..." :laugh: Not even a "hello" ..HIS reward for being quiet is NOT your attention, really, but to be back with his pack .....

Sorry, I should of mentioned, we have been taking him out each day and playing with him in the crate and giving treats etc. Gradually introducing him to the pen a little more each day. It's just today is the first time we've left him alone. I will try what you've suggested. Thanks!

I too think it is a bit sudden to leave him outside at night when he has not been trained to stay alone in the pen.... could you crate him indoors while you're out?

I am all for pups being taught to stay alone and outdoors !!!

But this is all a bit hurried and will probably not be a nice experience for pup :)

The dinner tonight didn't end up happening. So that's a good start. Now I can focus on positive training. I have tomorrow off as well but I'm back to work on Wednesday. So he has been out there with us to play and hang out. Treats have been rewarded when he uses the kennel.

I will feed him his dinner out there tonight? And I might give him 5 minutes by himself afterwards and bring him back in when he is calm? I guess I'll do the same thing tomorrow but slowly increase the amount of time? How long does the crying usually last?

I always cover my puppy's crate with a sheet or blanket, it makes him heaps calmer.

On his first day here everything good happened in the crate, he was fed treats and meals in there, played with his toys, encouraged to go in for a pat etc. We didn't close the door at all until nighttime when he was put away (the crate is in our bedroom). He was pretty tired from his big day so he settled pretty quickly, no issues with it at all.

Since then he gets put away in his crate for a couple of hours twice a day, both while we are home and while we are out. The first couple of weeks he would cry a little bit for a few minutes and then settle down. Covering the crate was a huge help in getting him to settle in there. Now he loves his crate. He gets a special crate only treat when he gets put away in it. When he hears me getting it out he runs to his crate and sits in it waiting for me to give him his treat and shut the door.

He is never put outside on his own, whenever we are out of the house he is crated. We work from home so normally it's only 2-3 hours at a time, but we occasionally go out for 8-10 hours and he is crated the whole time. He is perfectly fine with that, and I also know people whose dogs are crated at night and all day while they are at work. Dogs sleep 16 hours a day anyway, so they just sleep in their crate and are awake in the afternoon/evening when they are let out.

Fuzzy, thanks for the crate advice. Archie does really well with the crate over night. But I would never leave him in it while I am at work. I'm away for 8 hours on the days I work and I would like for him to have room to move outside. Also, he is only a pup and wouldn't be able to hold on for 8 hours in a crate. Although I can understand how this would work for older dogs.

So here is the update. I've been trying to get Archie use to being out in the run over the last couple of days. But he is still crying and howling and it is so sad to listen to. I can't imagine what my neighbour thinks. I only take him out of the run when he has been quiet for a few minutes and I never make a fuss about getting him out. But how long will this last? I work tomorrow and I will be away from home for 8 hours. It isn't possible to check on him at lunch because I work too far away. Do I just keep doing what I am doing? I assume this is normal? At the moment he is crying anywhere from 15 - 45 minutes. I try to increase his time in there a bit longer each time.

I leave a kong, fresh water and a few different toys out there but he is too busy worrying to show any interest in them. I'm a bit worried about leaving him alone for the first time tomorrow. :confused:

He was fine. He was still crying when I left but I left treats hidden about the place as a treasure hunt, a kong with some peanut butter, and a little toy which he had to roll around to get treats from. All the treats were gone when I got home so I assume it kept him busy. My mum and aunty checked up on him during the day and he was happy. :laugh:

Guest english.ivy
He was fine. He was still crying when I left but I left treats hidden about the place as a treasure hunt, a kong with some peanut butter, and a little toy which he had to roll around to get treats from. All the treats were gone when I got home so I assume it kept him busy. My mum and aunty checked up on him during the day and he was happy. :)

I find freezing the kong filled with dry food and peanut butter is a hit! Lasts them longer too :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I think we are back at square one. He was doing okay for a while it seemed but at the moment he is still taking forever to settle. He is barking or howling every now and then but when he does it, he keeps it up for a while. I'm expecting a complaint from the neighbours any day now. :thumbsup:

I don't get it though. I'm leaving him with pigs ears to chew on, treats to find, and a treat dispensing toy (which I switch with the kong some days) as well as toys to play with (which are rotated) but when I watch him from inside he just ignores them completely while he whines??

I'm going to pick up some bones on the way home from work to try on him tomorrow. I'm just hoping he isn't barking during the day but it wouldn't surprise me.

I put him in the pen half hour early today to see if he would settle before I left for work at 9. Just as I was typing he stopped. Only took him 25 minutes today. :D