Obedience Training..

Bella T

run far away from that mob.

Find a decent obedience school and take yourself there as well. Obedience is part of having a relationship between you and the dog, not just sending it off. You need to learn too how to maintain the behaviours.

Guest Labradork
Obedience is part of having a relationship between you and the dog, not just sending it off. You need to learn too how to maintain the behaviours.

Great advice - a lot of Obedience Schools/Theorists will say it's more about "training the Trainer"! :laugh:

There is really no point in getting someone else to train your dog for you imo.

You need someone to show YOU how to train YOUR dog!

I don't think many of these places where you can "send off" your dog achieve lasting results.

Obedience training can be lots of fun and helps you bond to your dog :laugh:

Obedience is part of having a relationship between you and the dog, not just sending it off. You need to learn too how to maintain the behaviours.

Great advice - a lot of Obedience Schools/Theorists will say it's more about "training the Trainer"! :(

When I was an Obedience Instructor that's what we always told people - we don't train your dog - we train YOU! There is also the fact that dogs tend to bond to the person who trains them, which pretty much makes it futile getting someone else to train YOUR dog!

I agree with everyone else. Why own a dog if your not willing to train it yourself. I find it very rewarding training my dog and it has actually brought us closer together. I can't imagine passing my dog to a complete stranger to train, I would feel horibble not knowing how they would train her,how she would respond,how they would treat her etc. Plus when you get your dog back you would basicly have to train it again to listen to you.

boarding and training has its merits particularly with dogs that are a bit out of the owners skill level. Saying that the owner then has to learn to handle and consistently keep up with the training that has been done in order to have a 'well trained' dog

We take our young Border Collie lad to Blacktown Kennel & Training Club, and they meet in Glendenning. About 15mins from Berkshire Park.

My husband currently attends the classes with Dash, which go for 1 hour on a Tuesday night. He learns alot and has a great time.

Good luck with your training :thumbsup:

Christie

Lucy & Dash

NSW

Hi :thumbsup:

What problems are you having with your dog ? They may be ones solved easily without the need to purchase a residential training place...

The thing with training your dog .. is that YOU have to learn how your dog 'ticks' , and what works :love: Sure, you can send your pet to a facility to be taught, and they will do it. However, you will STILL need to learn the commands, and how to address problems etc , when the dog comes home...and you will still need to be able to command the dog's respect.