Toileting Inside

Hi,

My cocker is toilet trained, or she used to be!!!!! 99% of the time she is a good girl and goes outside to the toilet. But there are occassions when we will get up in the morning and be greeted with a wee on the carpet. Doesn't happen very often but often enough to have riuned my carpet. Whats even worse is that last week we got up and she had done poo on the carpet! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We are usually in bed by 10pm and are up by 6am so somewhere in those hours she's using the carpet as her toilet! We have a doggy door leading outside that she has been using since she was 14 weeks old and she always has access to the door. I've tried removing her water by about 9pm and taking her to the toilet before going to bed but it doesn't seem to work.

We want to rip the carpet up and replace it in the near future as I am pregnant and we dont want baby crawling on dog pee carpet! However we need to sort out my naughty cocker first! Any suggestions for getting her to go outside ALL the time?

She hasn't been crate trained but we have bought crates and will start training once we are back from our honeymoon (we leave next week). I'll try removing her water earlier though.

She barrels through the doggy door most times chasing after her beagle sister! She does have issues with her anal glands and we have them expressed by the vet every 2-3 months. Other than that no health problems. I'm one of those crazy dog mums that takes her dog the vet for the slightest thing just to make sure she's ok! lol

She hasn't been crate trained but we have bought crates and will start training once we are back from our honeymoon (we leave next week). I'll try removing her water earlier though.

She barrels through the doggy door most times chasing after her beagle sister! She does have issues with her anal glands and we have them expressed by the vet every 2-3 months. Other than that no health problems. I'm one of those crazy dog mums that takes her dog the vet for the slightest thing just to make sure she's ok! lol

Has she ever seen a chiropractor?

Has she ever seen a chiropractor?

No. She runs around like an idiot most nights so I've never thought that she might need a chiro.

No. She runs around like an idiot most nights so I've never thought that she might need a chiro.

I'd recommend you check it out. I know dogs that will run on three legs given the right motivation.. doesn't mean they ain't in pain.

Lack of bladder/bowel control can also have a skeletal/spinal origin.

Edited by poodlefan

I'd recommend you check it out. I know dogs that will run on three legs given the right motivation.. doesn't mean they ain't in pain.

Thanks poodlefan - no harm in checking it out. This bloody dog. Good thing she is my heart dog as she's costing me a fortune!!!

Thanks poodlefan - no harm in checking it out. This bloody dog. Good thing she is my heart dog as she's costing me a fortune!!!

My other question would relate to her vision.. how well does she see at night? Is she from PRA tested parents?

Her parents were tested and she seems to see very well at night.

I'm not sure that she's worried about going out at night as 99% of the time she does go out when she needs to. being outside is her favourite place especially if there is a cool breeze and its dark. Madam sits in the middle of the yard with the breeze blowing gently through her ears!