Which Airlines Fly Dogs?

angelsophie

I find Virginblue is cheaper than Qantas.

Qantas charge by cube and weight. Virgin charge by weight.

Jetstar I believe to not take animals.

Check with Dogtainers or Jet Pets as some airports do not take animals by certain airlines. I know Canberra for instance will only accept animals via qantas/AAE.

Check with Dogtainers or Jet Pets as some airports do not take animals by certain airlines. I know Canberra for instance will only accept animals via qantas/AAE.

Not true actually. Virgin fly dogs to and from Canberra and you can collect them inside the terminal rather than having to go over to AAE if they fly Qantas.

Yes, it is cheaper to fly them with you as they will go as 'excess'. If you have your own airline approved crate, then you can make the booking yourself after you have your flight number and ticket number from the airline. If you have to hire a crate, Dogtainers or Jetpets will meet you at the airport. You can either get them to make the booking for you or you can do that yourself (so long as you know how heavy the crate is as you will be asked when you book).

The only thing we have found with Virgin is that they have a limit on how many animals they will board per flight so you would need to organise it as soon as you have arranged your own travel.

We have never had any trouble with either airline although it can be a pain waiting at AAE for the staff to bring your dog over from Qantas. Especially if it's late at night and most of the staff have gone home!!

Edited by idigadog

Not true actually. Virgin fly dogs to and from Canberra and you can collect them inside the terminal rather than having to go over to AAE if they fly Qantas.

Yes, it is cheaper to fly them with you as they will go as 'excess'. If you have your own airline approved crate, then you can make the booking yourself after you have your flight number and ticket number from the airline. If you have to hire a crate, Dogtainers or Jetpets will meet you at the airport. You can either get them to make the booking for you or you can do that yourself (so long as you know how heavy the crate is as you will be asked when you book).

The only thing we have found with Jetpets is that they have a limit on how many animals they will board per flight so you would need to organise it as soon as you have arranged your own travel.

We have never had any trouble with either airline although it can be a pain waiting at AAE for the staff to bring your dog over from Qantas. Especially if it's late at night and most of the staff have gone home!!

Not anymore. :laugh:

You now pick up and drop off large dogs, at least, to Gate 5. We had to do this over the weekend with an Afghan hound.

Gate 5 is currently a PITA to get to from the terminal and an even greater pain getting back to the terminal.

Not anymore. :)

You now pick up and drop off large dogs, at least, to Gate 5. We had to do this over the weekend with an Afghan hound.

Gate 5 is currently a PITA to get to from the terminal and an even greater pain getting back to the terminal.

Oh really???? Buggar!! Canberra airport is an absolute shamozzle at the moment. We flew two 8 week old pups with Qantas from Adelaide recently and I'm not lying when I say it took Qantas/AAE over an hour to get them from the terminal to us. Something about it being late at night blah, blah, blah and that they wait until all the late night flights arrive before they bring any of the animals over to AAE blah, blah, blah. In the meantime, pups were just sitting on the tarmac.

A little bit of jumping up and down from me saw one of the AAE guys get in his work van and drive over to the Qantas terminal and pick them up himself :thumbsup:

Sorry Mystiqview, I was wrong :)

Edited by idigadog

as the title says which ones fly dogs and is it cheaper to fly them with you?? I will be flying to same destination at same time??

Thanks in advance

Bec

You could have just texted me and I would have given you the answer :thumbsup:

Go with Qantas, puppy flies as carry on luggage, no extra charge (I believe) provided you don't exceed the baggage limit

One of my puppies is going to the Gold Coast and the new owner is picking her up from me. She is flying with Virgin and they are charging her $50 for the puppy to fly too.

Don't forget you have to have an approved airline crate (PP20) for puppy to fly in. If you call Dogtainers they can arrange for a crate to be available to you at the airport 90 minutes before your flight.

Edited by Havasneeze

Not anymore. :)

Oh really???? Buggar!! Canberra airport is an absolute shamozzle at the moment. We flew two 8 week old pups with Qantas from Adelaide recently and I'm not lying when I say it took Qantas/AAE over an hour to get them from the terminal to us. Something about it being late at night blah, blah, blah and that they wait until all the late night flights arrive before they bring any of the animals over to AAE blah, blah, blah. In the meantime, pups were just sitting on the tarmac.

A little bit of jumping up and down from me saw one of the AAE guys get in his work van and drive over to the Qantas terminal and pick them up himself :thumbsup:

That's ok. I only found out the rules late last year when I tried to book some pups to Canberra via dogtainers using Virgin. It was Dogtainers who said that Virgin does not fly pets any more into Canberra.

I had another pup fly to Launceston. I had to use Virgin for them and not Qantas. Was a right royal pain in the butt taking two pups to two freight terminals in Brisbane. I did manage to get them at the airport at roughly the same time for flights.

I had always preferred to fly Virgin. I had a bad experience getting a pup up here once via AAE and have been hesitant to use them again. But as I found out last year, it seems it now depends on which airport the dog/pup is flying into.

Also found it pays to shop around. I have had some big differences in prices between Dogtainers and Jet Pets as well as which airline carrier you choose.

Not anymore. :(

A little bit of jumping up and down from me saw one of the AAE guys get in his work van and drive over to the Qantas terminal and pick them up himself :)

That's ok. I only found out the rules late last year when I tried to book some pups to Canberra via dogtainers using Virgin. It was Dogtainers who said that Virgin does not fly pets any more into Canberra.

Well Virgin flew a dog in to Canberra last Friday and flew it out again on Monday - from and back to Brisbane. :(

Qantaslink are the only qantas planes that fly to Lauceston so thats probably why they wouldnt take animals its cramped enough inside for humans.

I flew Orbit on a Qantas Link plane when flying him back from Mildura. :)

Edited by stormie

Well Virgin flew a dog in to Canberra last Friday and flew it out again on Monday - from and back to Brisbane. :)

Virgin Blue will fly in and out of Canberra as long as pet pass attached to passenger ticket. They will not take them as freight!

As for lodgements/collections:

Canberra Address: Gate 5, Mccan Road, Canberra Airport

Directions: Turn left or right depending on direction of travel from Nomad Drive onto McCann Road. Gate 5 is on the left. When approaching gate 5, park in the 3 space car park and head for the grey building.

Also if you are flying Qantas/AaE with your pets as freight you now have to complete the Pet Shipper Declaration which is forwarded out to you with your booking confirmation.

Edited by wayrod