Learning About Agility

Hi, Im looking at getting my BC puppy into agility and maybe flyball (later on down the track). He's only 17 weeks at the moment and has been doing pretty well at obedience classes.

Is there a step between basic obedience and agility (Is he still too young to be jumping that much?) I'm only learning about it all so if there are classes that's a bonus :(

I appreciate any advice on this...Thanks!

a lot of agility groups won't take you until the dog is over 12mths of age and at a certain level of obedience training as agility is off lead work around other dogs ..... well thats what happens at the classes where I am, I know some places offer "puppy agility" or pre-agility classes as well ....

I'd contact your local obedience/agility club and find out what they run and what they recommend ....

a lot of agility groups won't take you until the dog is over 12mths of age and at a certain level of obedience training as agility is off lead work around other dogs ..... well thats what happens at the classes where I am, I know some places offer "puppy agility" or pre-agility classes as well ....

I'd contact your local obedience/agility club and find out what they run and what they recommend ....

I've had a look at some of the local ones but the earliest is 11months to take him to start properly. I wasn't sure if there was something that lays down the foundation before they start jumping etc.

oh there are lots of books and dvds and website your can get information from as a lot of people do the foundation work with their dogs before they look at doing actual agility work with them - I'm not really that knowledgeable on all the different trainers but I have a few Susan Garret DVD's and found the Crate Games one was really good for pre-anything training .... she has some foundation ones as well out - I'm sure someone can recommend some good resources....

We were told to basically teach the dog recall & focus in a highly distractable enviornment also basic commands, movements, following hand signals and familiarising yourself with the rules and techniques for the handlers used is also a good thing ... we have been taking our boys to agility and obedience trials since they were pups - neither are ready to compete but its about getting them used to the environment, noise, smells and the excitement - they love going along.....

An excellent DVD is the six DVD set called Foundation Fundamentals from Clean Run

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...p;ParentCat=175

It is for puppies & is just like being in the class even though you havn't left your lounge room......it is excellent & my next pup is certainly going to benefit from it

Thanks guys! Ill look into the books and DVDs- its a shame they have to post it all the way from the US! Im heading down to the Agility Trials at Durack next weekend to have a bit of a sticky beak as well :)

An excellent DVD is the six DVD set called Foundation Fundamentals from Clean Run

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...p;ParentCat=175

It is for puppies & is just like being in the class even though you havn't left your lounge room......it is excellent & my next pup is certainly going to benefit from it

Thanks guys! Ill look into the books and DVDs- its a shame they have to post it all the way from the US! Im heading down to the Agility Trials at Durack next weekend to have a bit of a sticky beak as well :)

Doesn't cost much & takes only about two weeks to get here. It is a Clean Run production & I got mine before Christmas when they had all their DVD's on free postage.

I trained my dog in obedience until she was 11 months then we switched to agility. We entered our first competition when she was 26 months old. You can start competing at 18 months, but I decided to wait until we were working really well.

Obedience was a good foundation for me as it is important to have a reliable stay. If you compete it is very handy to have a good start line stay. Also obedience is important as you need your dog to be under control off lead with lot of distractions (other dogs). A strong recall is handy too - if the temptation to run off is too much!

I would definitely get the DVD's recommended. You will learn foundation games, important for motivation, which can start with you puppy at a young age. I also recommend the crate training DVD - although this is not agility it teaches good foundation skills. Not to mention it being very handy to be able to crate your dog. You will find all the foundation games and exercises are not any agility - but this stuff is important and you will set you up for when you actually start on the equipment. I did not start these games at a young age because I did not make up my mind to start agility until she was about 9 months - but I wish I had!!!

Also check the agility clubs, some also run obedience classes also.

Good luck!