Pulling When He Sees Other Dogs

Sometimes, fuzzy, you could be me. I mean that in the nicest possible way! You said it all. :)

I fail to see the similarities. If Fuzzy82 was anything like you there post would have been 10 times longer, they would of made an association between training dogs and training wild hares and they would of thrown in random links to Panksepp. :love:

:) I'm sorry Corvus!!

Oi! Jeff Jones clearly needs to read more of my posts. ;) And some Panksepp. :rofl:

Sometimes, fuzzy, you could be me. I mean that in the nicest possible way! You said it all. ;)

I fail to see the similarities. If Fuzzy82 was anything like you there post would have been 10 times longer, they would of made an association between training dogs and training wild hares and they would of thrown in random links to Panksepp. :love:

:) apologies, corvus , but

:)

Judging whether a dog is over threshold or not is often a skill that needs to be learnt, yet it is integral to treating a lot of problem behaviour including this sort of thing and I think asking whether the dog is over threshold or not is always a good place to start. But whether it solves any problems on its own or not depends on all the stuff folks on the internet can't see and therefore can't comment on. My thought is if someone doesn't know about whether their dog is over threshold, we tell them how to tell and tell them the most common way to deal with it and then they are on their own. Seems likely to me they'll need help to learn how to read their dog better and to give them a more tailored approach to solving their problem, but in the meantime maybe a rule of thumb can help.

Also, when I'm training my hare, the shit hits the fan if he goes over threshold and the only thing he learns is to be afraid of whatever was present when he went over threshold. Having just spent 9 months fixing one of those moments, I sure as hell try to avoid them! Of course, my dogs are a fair bit more resilient and "over threshold" for them is a completely different ball game, so there's really nothing much at all we can learn about dogs from that.

And here's a 50 page document written by Panksepp that should help: http://www.indin2007.org/enf/downloads/pan...nsciousness.pdf Well, it won't, but it's the only Panksepp link I have and I wish more people would read it because it's so freaking interesting!

:love: It feels good to deliver what my public wants. :)

Judging whether a dog is over threshold or not is often a skill that needs to be learnt, yet it is integral to treating a lot of problem behaviour including this sort of thing and I think asking whether the dog is over threshold or not is always a good place to start. But whether it solves any problems on its own or not depends on all the stuff folks on the internet can't see and therefore can't comment on. My thought is if someone doesn't know about whether their dog is over threshold, we tell them how to tell and tell them the most common way to deal with it and then they are on their own. Seems likely to me they'll need help to learn how to read their dog better and to give them a more tailored approach to solving their problem, but in the meantime maybe a rule of thumb can help.

Also, when I'm training my hare, the shit hits the fan if he goes over threshold and the only thing he learns is to be afraid of whatever was present when he went over threshold. Having just spent 9 months fixing one of those moments, I sure as hell try to avoid them! Of course, my dogs are a fair bit more resilient and "over threshold" for them is a completely different ball game, so there's really nothing much at all we can learn about dogs from that.

And here's a 50 page document written by Panksepp that should help: http://www.indin2007.org/enf/downloads/pan...nsciousness.pdf Well, it won't, but it's the only Panksepp link I have and I wish more people would read it because it's so freaking interesting!

:)

;)

Edited by persephone

:) Good work.

Why on this adds here people ask about training and the most response is getting a trainer, and asking myself why is this?. Is very good to talk about training and much we learns from that. Yes, obviously should get a trainer, but is good to chat about the training too, just my opinion I am thinking for some knowledge widen for everyone.

Joe

I'm pretty wary about people giving specific advice on a public forum about either corrections or aggression, there is just too much potential for things to go wrong.

I think it is good and useful to talk about these things in general. But a forum is a tricky medium to give advice on - you may give the wrong advice (due the owner describing the problem incorrectly), or the owner might misinterpret what you say, or they may understand what you say but not have the skill to competently do what you advise.

You're right that pulling on the leash is a minor problem compared to many, but giving a correction is a skill to learn hands-on I think, not by experimentation. Some soft dogs will crumble if you over-correct them, many dogs will get confused or upset if you correct them unfairly or at the wrong time, some owners lack the experience to tell these things are happening until too late.

You sound pretty knowledgeable, though, so I look forward to you sharing your advice. Can I ask, what's your background in dog training? :)

Yes, I began training with the German Shepherd dog for decoy work at a kennel in Germany when a young man for the Schutzhund passing the working test for registration. Then the boss give me the pup for training and handling for the Schutzhund test, not the competition dogs, but for the breeding bitch I train 5 female to the Schh1 was a lot of fun if you love the Shepherd dog. Then we go to the Czech Republik where I train protection dogs in the working lines. We live is several places around Europe with much training on the German Shepherd Belgian Malinois and the Dutch Shepherd, a little bit on the KNPV mostly Schutzhund and protection. Beautiful country in Australia, we love very much, but I very careful to train the protection dog here and go to jail for dog like a weapon is no good for the laws here. Is good to chat about the training, I like very much and I learning better writing skill in the English is fun. My last working was for many years the protection dog in the pet and work very much on suitability for lovely pet dog to work on command where I learn the importance of the nerve of the dog and the genes for pet and working animal which is spanning with dog now for 27 years. Still plenty lo learn about the dog and is good here with many people to chat about the dog, very enjoyable thanks.

Joe