Bazil Isds Sheepdog Trial

shortstep

Nice music and the feel of Brazil while showing some excellent working dogs.

Brazil is the worlds largest producer of beef and sheep are on the rise.

They have an active interest in working border collies and have imported and now breed some of the best working dogs in the world.

I mentioned recently the ISDS will now be accepting dogs registered in Australia Working Border Collie register into ISDS.

This will make them internationally accepted, such as for the registry in Brazil.

Most of the dogs in this video were bred in the UK. However Brailians have been very interested in investigating the Australian lines,

which they will now be able to intergrate into their registry.

Hope you enjoy.

Adios!

Edited by shortstep

Hope they value dogs more than they value horses. I would never send a dog I bred there, but thank dog I don't breed. :laugh:

Anything else nasty you would like to say about the Brazilians?

Any comments or comparisons about the DNA testing at the Brazil sheepdog trials as compared the the DNA testing offered at the Australain sheepdog trails?

DNA CEA or CL testing in Brazil can find them hosted by ISDS of Brazil registry.

February 24, 2011 through March 12, 2011 - Brazilian 20/20 Clinic

Blood collect for DNA CEA exam on ACOPAS 2011 1ª sheepdog trials, ISDS Registros on Brazil.

Breed: Border Collie

Here is the CEA testing list, only those who wanted to list their dogs on the international disease register are on here.

http://bordercolliehealth.com/Brazil.html

Lots of the best show kennels in the world are mentioned on this list of dogs or their parents. Australian, New Zealand, America and Uk show kennels have not had a problem exporting to Brazil.

I am glad to see that not all Australains feel the way PAZ does about the lovely people of Brazil.

Anyway, back to Brazil.

Did you know the Brazil is the second largest consumer of pet foods in the world?

Dog dancing with a very a happy border collie.

BTW PAX near the end of this video, the dog knocks over his handler and then makes a motion with his back feet, I think he would motion the same to your comments about Brazilians.

Edited by shortstep

Ooh, Ill be checking this video out tonight Shortstep!!! Will be interesting to see how the Brazilians work their dogs!

Bit disappointed they use BCs and not Kelpies :) .....LOL

I wish one of the ABC channels would televise Sheepdog trials on a regular basis...I would watch all the time!

Any comments or comparisons about the DNA testing at the Brazil sheepdog trials as compared the the DNA testing offered at the Australain sheepdog trails?

Similar to what we do here. We have had DNA collection available (with negotiated reduced rates for some testing) at quite a few trials recently.

I think there are already some Australian dogs in South America. A rancher from Argentina came out specifically to buy dogs maybe 15 years ago (the story is that they offered a blank cheque for a certain dog, but her owner wouldn't sell her), and ended up buying a couple. They've had some semen sent over as well- not sure if it was the same people buying it, though.

Lab Rat, you should try writing to the ABC- they've had some plans for televised sheepdog trials on and off for a while now, there was a program that almost happened last year, it was being advertised in newsletters etc- but for some reason they keep falling through. Maybe if they got a few emails requesting coverage they'd get onto it?

Similar to what we do here. We have had DNA collection available (with negotiated reduced rates for some testing) at quite a few trials recently.

Can you tell me the names of a couple of these trials, and who was doing the actual collection? For CEA CL TNS?

I am keen to get a couple of examples to pass on to someone who is interested.

Sure- of the top of my head there was last year's Mayanup 3 sheep trial and possibly also Esperance +/or Ballidu 3 sheep trials- of those we only went to Mayanup, so I'm not sure. The year before I think they did collection at the State Arena Champs, and possibly one other trial. They could collect for anything you wanted- most people did TNS and some CL, but the collectors are vets so if someone wants to test for CEA it's available, you just need to let them know and arrange paperwork ahead of time. The state association (like SAWSDA, who have also had collection days) have negotiated a discounted rate for TNS with the Uni of NSW, and that's the major identified problem in local dog populations, so that's what most people were doing.

Sure- of the top of my head there was last year's Mayanup 3 sheep trial and possibly also Esperance +/or Ballidu 3 sheep trials- of those we only went to Mayanup, so I'm not sure. The year before I think they did collection at the State Arena Champs, and possibly one other trial. They could collect for anything you wanted- most people did TNS and some CL, but the collectors are vets so if someone wants to test for CEA it's available, you just need to let them know and arrange paperwork ahead of time. The state association (like SAWSDA, who have also had collection days) have negotiated a discounted rate for TNS with the Uni of NSW, and that's the major identified problem in local dog populations, so that's what most people were doing.

So did the trial assocition pay the vet to be there to do the collections or did he charge each person a fee?

Also did they require microchips? Tatoo OK? Or no ID of dog was required?

Edited by shortstep

So did the trial assocition pay the vet to be there to do the collections or did he charge each person a fee?

Also did they require microchips? Tatoo OK? Or no ID of dog was required?

Hi Deb,

The vets are volunteers. One is a current trialler, another is a relative of a trialler. I don't know whether in SA they have paid vets or volunteers.

No ID required for TNS/CL testing, although some dogs are microchipped/tattooed. Of course, we're a small enough community that the vets actually know almost all the individual dogs. I'd anticipate that eventually microchipping will become more standard and will become part of the process.

If you want more info, email me and I can put you in touch with some of the organisers.

Edited by mjk05