Barking Dogs To Be Targetted

piperspal

Complainants don't need a doctors letter all they need to say is the dogs are causing them to lose their peaceful enjoyment of their property.

The reason Councils don't put a time limit on the barking is because everyone is different in how barking affects them.

And that, precisely, is the problem. If excessive barking is totally subjective, a neighbour can complain that even one bark a day is 'causing them to lose their peaceful enjoyment of the property'. If someone is so sensitive to noise, they should not live in a busy suburb.

I am not trying to ignore the issue of barking dogs. Some dogs do bark a lot and can be annoying.

I also think that some neighbours complain because it gives them power over their neighbours. How frequently have we heard on this forum that neighbours have complained about dogs barking, sometimes even when the dogs weren't home?

If we as dog owners allow people to be unreasonable about dog ownership and let subjective laws raise expectations that dogs need to be absolutely quiet, we may as well get virtual pets.

I would like to see time limits on the barking and excessive barking fully defined so that everyone can be aware of their rights and responsibilities.

Yes.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On behalf of the MDBA I called the LGA and talked to the acting CEO. The LGA services all South Australian Local Councils.

I ascertained that the article was a bit of a media beat up as the LGA had no knowledge of the proposal until the news article was published.

The LGA will discuss the proposal so I asked about the process which I have outlined below.

The process is:

- The LGA executive will discuss the proposal possibly at their May meeting.

- The proposal would need to have the majority of Council Representatives backing for it to be passed at that meeting.

- If this meeting recommends the proposal then the LGA officers write up a report with their recommendations.

- The report is sent to the Dog and Cat Management Board for their consideration possibly at their June meeting.

- If the Dog and Cat Management Board accepts the recommendation they endorse the report.

- The endorsed report is sent to the relevant Minister and if the Minister agrees with the recommendation it then goes through the Parliamentary process

- The Parliamentary process is required because for this proposal to become Law the Dog and Cat Management Act will need to be changed.

People who wish to object to this proposal can write to the Dog and Cat Management Board outlining their concerns.

To me it seems that there are a lot of hurdles for this proposal to overcome before it would be accepted. I think it will be very expensive for Councils to manage, it may not be the best way to manage barking dogs and it needs Legislative changes before it can be accepted.

The MDBA will be watching what is happening with this and writing a letter to the Dog and Cat Management Board if this proposal gets recommended by the LGA.