Transporting A Puppy Interstate

Baileys mum

Her Royal Wooness (Wikki) came to us in Brisbane from Perth at 12 weeks. She didn't really want to come out of her crate when she arrived at the airport, but once we got over that hurdle she set about her job of world domination and has not since taken a backward step - quite a confident young lady for a BC.

Although I'm not a breeder I wouldn't (and won't) hesitate to bring our next pup over from the same kennel. (Our breeder would have preferred her to come a little younger.)

I was also wondering what time of the day is best to put a puppy on a flight, would a morning flight be better?

Halo got into Adelaide just before 4pm with no adverse effects. She left Melbourne at about 2:30 from memory, and it was warmer - about 28C I think. She was drooling, but even now she still drools in the car because she gets car sick.

Cost us about $80 to fly from Melbourne to Adelaide, was shocked at how cheap it was. :(

With my last litter we flew little Halo to Adelaide for whiskedaway and Thor to Lobostar in Perth using Wayrod - he was very good and takes a lot of care with the transport organisation - can certainly recommend him. :)

I'd fly from 9 - 12 weeks - any later than that and you may hit a fear period. I'd probably do 10 weeks next time (although the litter wasn't far off it).

Oh, the flight from Melb to Adel was just the flight, we had a crate on loan from another DOL friend here (who also used Wayrod). However, we purchased a new crate for the flight to WA. Regardless of who you go through, I would recommend that you purchase a new crate for the puppy - I don't know how stringent some of the companies are in disinfecting their rental crates, and the last thing you want is for a healthy puppy to leave you but arrive at its destination with parvo or something else nasty.

Yep I actually have an air line approved crate here which I bought of another Doler when they flew a cat down from Brisbane for my parents, so I will probably just use that ... alot safer & I would hate for one of my babies to be exposed to somehthing nasty. :laugh:

Both my Aussies are from Qld, we flew up to get Buster as I wanted to choose for myself (4 males in litter) and he came back with us as excess baggage at 8 wks, then with Sheila I just got the breeder to pop her on a flight and we picked her up from airport at this end, she was 9 wks as the breeder hadn't been able to arrange earlier as she is quite a distance from Brisbane airport.

I have sent my pups through dogtainers and was really happy with them. Pups arrived well and happy. The longest flight was Tassie to Nth Qld at approx 6 hours travel. I have sent them from 10 weeks of age minimum. I never met any of my buyers but talked with them and I couldn't have asked for nicer people to my babies to live with. I was asked to visit them when I was in their areas and we still keep in touch. Trust your heart and your gut instinct on who you think would love your baby like you do.

I have sent my pups through dogtainers and was really happy with them. Pups arrived well and happy. The longest flight was Tassie to Nth Qld at approx 6 hours travel. I have sent them from 10 weeks of age minimum. I never met any of my buyers but talked with them and I couldn't have asked for nicer people to my babies to live with. I was asked to visit them when I was in their areas and we still keep in touch. Trust your heart and your gut instinct on who you think would love your baby like you do.

Thank lynst, I spoke with these people for a good 2 hours & have a great feeling about them,Of course I can't be 100% sure, & its always a gamble not to meet them face to face, but I really do feel that they will love my baby & give it the best home ever. They own & run a resort up there & have offered free accommodation if we ever want to visit. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

Dusty came to me from SA at 8 weeks with JetPets. Her flight cost about $135. She wasn't fazed at all by the flight, the fuss or being collected by strangers.

I recently had Shae flown to me from WA. I emailed both JetPets and Dogtainers for a quote. JetPets got back to me the following day, I'm still waiting for Dogtainers to email me their quote.

Shae came as a rescue dog from a registered rescue organisation and her flight was $305. The standard price (non-rescue) was about $380. Shae is not a puppy, she is 5 years old. When we collected her, she was very shaky and nervous........but whether that was because of the flight, the strangers or just that she doesn't cope well in those situations, I'll never know.

She recovered very quickly though.

I have found JetPets to be easy to deal with, fuss-free and very professional. I have no idea about Dogtainers, quote must have got lost in the mail.

I sent an email to Dogtainers after seeing this thread, and I got a response within half an hour.

It must have just been the particular Dogtainers office you sent the email to. The signature on the email I received back was from the Darwin DT office.

Dusty came to me from SA at 8 weeks with JetPets. Her flight cost about $135. She wasn't fazed at all by the flight, the fuss or being collected by strangers.

I recently had Shae flown to me from WA. I emailed both JetPets and Dogtainers for a quote. JetPets got back to me the following day, I'm still waiting for Dogtainers to email me their quote.

Shae came as a rescue dog from a registered rescue organisation and her flight was $305. The standard price (non-rescue) was about $380. Shae is not a puppy, she is 5 years old. When we collected her, she was very shaky and nervous........but whether that was because of the flight, the strangers or just that she doesn't cope well in those situations, I'll never know.

She recovered very quickly though.

I have found JetPets to be easy to deal with, fuss-free and very professional. I have no idea about Dogtainers, quote must have got lost in the mail.

I sent an email to Dogtainers after seeing this thread, and I got a response within half an hour.

It must have just been the particular Dogtainers office you sent the email to. The signature on the email I received back was from the Darwin DT office.

Funny you should say that, I put in a request for a quote about an hour ago with Dogtainers, & I just got back a response myself.

I've been quoted $150.00 from Melbourne to Cairns including crate hire...which IMO is pretty good, so I'll just have to see what Jetpets quote comes in at. :(

I used the webform too. It asked for a postcode, so I'm thinking the enquiry would have been passed on to the nearest office.

Sounds like the one nearest you isn't very reliable.

I sent an inquiry to Jetpets a little later in the afternoon, would have been after 5pm AEDST so hopefully I get a response tomorrow.

How long is a flight to cairns from Melbourne?...I'm guessing it would be about 5 hours.

I would Probably be best to put the pup on mid morning flight to enable the puppy arrive in the afternoon.

A direct flight is approximately 3 hours 25 minutes not including 90 minutes lodgement time and offloading/collection time of between 15-45 minutes.

A non-direct flight is approximately 4 hours 30 minutes plus transshipment (times spent between flights) time which can vary from 90 minutes between flights not including 90 minutes lodgement time and offloading/collection time of between 15-45 minutes.

Both Qantas and VirginBlue normally offer one direct flight per day between Melbourne and Cairns, normally a morning flight.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know whether Victoria has the same laws as NSW regarding car restraints for dogs?

I have a litter of puppies expected to be born in Mid April (Vet confrmed pregnancy on Tuesday & we saw 6 pups ) :confused:

I have had alot of interest for this litter & I already have a quite a long waiting list of potential owners here in Victoria.

I got a lovely call from a potential owner this morning, we chatted for about 2 hours & they sound like they could provide a perfect home for one of my babies. The only catch is that they live in Innisfail Nth QLD.

This is only my 2nd litter & with my last litter all my puppies went to perfect homes here in victoria, with all the owners picking them up from my home.

So this would be the first time that I have had to put one of my babies on a plane & the thought of it makes me nervous....but at the same time, these people seem great & I would really like them to have one of my puppies.

I was just wondering what other peoples experiences have been transporting pets interstate, especially puppies.

Can I transport the pup at 8 weeks old or is it better to wait until they are a couple of weeks older?

Is it better to book door to door service? Or would taking the puppy to the airport myself be better.

What is the best company to use? I have looked at the Jetpets website & Dogtainers, but haven't got a clue which one is better.

What price would we be looking at payin?.These people are quite happy for me to do all the travel arrangements & put the costs in the puppy price, they have even offered another $50.00 for my trouble & the cost of posting my puppy pack up to them, so they are very reasonable.

Thanks guys I'm probably making a big fuss over nothing, but seeing this will be my first time of sending one of my babies interstate, any Info & advice would be really appreciated. :thumbsup:

Bundy's mum - you will find there are moves afoot to make the minimum age for flying 12 weeks, which is stupid because of the fear period factors but doesn't surprise me as I've always thought that those people who want to make out they care about our dogs more than we do don't know squat about dogs at all.....

What is a fear period??