Should We Give Our Puppy Back?

Jumblyjunior

just to clarify - did you say that your breeder produced a litter before knowing if the results of the PRA test?

If so, that would be of concern- do you know what the parent's results are? Just so you know, if you breed a PRA carrier to another carrier, you will statistically run the risk of having puppies that are affected with the condition in that litter. If your breeder is in Vic, they may also be in violation under the code of inheritable diseases - PRA is a recognised disease under that code - it says the following in terms of carrier to carrier breeding:

1. Breeding is not recommended. Must only occur as part of an approved breeding program.# 2. All progeny must be tested for the heritable defect. 3. A diseased (Affected) animal must not be disposed of to another person without advice of the animal’s heritable defect status 4. Affected progeny (or any juvenile off spring confirmed as ‘Affected’ on test) should be de-sexed unless they are to be used in an approved breeding program, must not be permitted by their owner to suffer from their condition if it develops and should be under the supervision, advice and monitoring of a veterinary practitioner.

Note that this is far carrier to carrier matings, and for Vic breeders only.

Yes she did not have PRA results for the parents before breeding them - and it was not their first litter - this was a concern that is why we had the proviso in writing of giving the puppy back if both parents were carriers or worse. We now have certificates that both parents are clear. Apparently we were the only people out of the other 8 getting a puppy that wanted this, which worried us back thne for the new owners and about the breeder but felt if it was being done we would know.

So we were waiting on tenterhooks on that one which she delayed getting to us and then we get this yucky surprise hip certificate that we have been misled on.

I agree with both replies before - we should give her back because we would not have taken her in the first place but also if mum was 0/0 we could still have a puppy with problems - but we have always been aware it is not purely genetic a better score just improves the odds for the puppy how the puppy is nurtured has a massive effect.

Your opinions really help my hubby and I are trying to the right thing by our family and this puppy - the sad thing is I know if she has a problem we will be the best family to look after her but at what cost emotionally and financially.

Thanks for listening and posting so far guys ...she is so lovely..... - the vet we are seeing on sat is an orthopaedist who offered pen hip xrays at her desexing in 3 weeks - but obviously we will not proceed with any desexing if she is going back.

Okay sorry to say this but how are you doing the right thing by the puppy?? by taking her back after she has bonded with you!! Then what the puppy will go back to the breeder and probally get given to a poor owner who dosent give a crap.. the best thing you could do is give her the best life you could.. you wouldnt give your child back if she didnt come out perfect so why should you give a poor innocent puppy back.. id be happy to take her!!

EDIT: okay sorry i didnt read the whole post was just upset that so many people said to give her back.. SHAME ON YOU.. I read debates on here with dog owners who in one breath go on an on about how terrible some dog owners are irresponsible and what about the RSPA who are killing dogs everday because owners 'give their puppy back' then in another breath they are saying ohh no you cant have a dog who hip and elbow scores are high blah blah blah.. Yes humanity sucks and their are evil people out their who breed for the money but you are talking about an innocent puppy who is not at fault but just needs a loving home..

Edited by chellz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s such a hard situation.

One of my Staffy girl's cost me thousands in Vet Bills the first 12 months we had her, I even got a hamper from the Vet the first Christmas for being a great customer.

During this time I was asked if I was disappointed I didn’t choose one of the other pups from the litter and maybe wouldn’t have so many issues ( I actually took 2 from the same litter and have no medical issues with the other one). My answer is no, I am so glad I have Zena, the thought of her being with someone who doesn’t have the money or patience to get her issues resolved and possibly having to suffer in so much pain, kills me. She is the most special girl, the best temperament you could imagine, I am so glad she found me to look after her.

Even if the dog doesn’t end up having HD problems, can you live with the knowledge of your Lab going back and possibly having to suffer at the hands of someone less loving than your family? Personally I could not have sent my girls back; I had bonded with them in one week so much more than I thought I would have. (My early posts relate to having two female Staffy's, the general advice here was to send one back)

It sounds like you are going to the right lengths to make an informed decision, sometimes you just need to go with your heart, which is what I did and so far so good.

Best of luck for yourselves and the pup whichever way it goes.