A Happy Ending

Katdogs

Happy story:

Chipped, registered, undesexed female Staffy went missing 9 years ago. Toddler and family devastated but no sign of dog anywhere.

Family grows, gets a GSD, toddler grows up but teaches her younger sisters all about 'her' dog and always remembers.

Family got a call last Monday. Were they missing a Staffy?

Two years ago the dog was found on the street a wandering, thin girl. She was checked out, then chipped, desexed and kept by people who now can no longer care for her due to changed circumstances. (I'm a bit hazy on these details). When she was scanned on Monday to check the chip before rehoming/surrender, the first chip was picked up!

No idea where she was during those lost 7 years, but signs are she's had a few pups.

She's been lovingly cared for over the last two years and has no signs of any problems except overfeeding. She recognised her family straight away, is getting on well with the young male GSD, and all's good!

NINE years and she's home!!

what a wonderful ending :cry: , & it is so good that she remembers you as her family :)

wouldn't it be wonderful if she could tell you of her adventures over the last 9 yrs, & explain why, when she was microchipped the second time, they did not scan her to check to see if one already existed considering she was found wandering the street

still - so good to hear she is back home where she belongs with a family that loves her so much

Sometimes a chip wont show up in initial scans - ie the battery is almost flat etc.

We've had it happen where I work, I usually scan over with two scanners to ensure that there is not a chip if the 1st one doesn't register a chip on it.

oh ok :cry:

What a wonderful story with all the doom and gloom at present, so glad owners were found so she can enjoy her old age in comfort and safety.

Good warning for anyone moving who has had a dog go missing to update their details just in case years later the dog is found.

Sometimes a chip wont show up in initial scans - ie the battery is almost flat etc.

We've had it happen where I work, I usually scan over with two scanners to ensure that there is not a chip if the 1st one doesn't register a chip on it.

The other answer to this is sometimes the pounds just don't check, I had 2 of my dogs escape the yard once, while I was away (had housesitters in, but these things happen). I rang the RSPCA and the pounds a few times panicing about my girls and finally got a girl, who told me they had been there for the last 2 days, but as they had no collars on, they couldn't contact us. When i asked "Both of those dogs are microchipped and the address and phone is up to date, why didn't you call?" She couldn't answer me. Luckily for me alls well that ends well and now I have a electric fence that runs round the bottom of my yard. My dogs don't escape now. Hehehe

I know somebody who took a pup they found in poor condition beside the road many kilometers from the nearest town to the vet. The vet did not check for a chip, even worse they had been sent a photo and lost notice re the dog and still didnt make the connection. He had been stolen from his yard weeks earlier. Luckily his family got him back in the end.