Vie Is It Sew?

Why it is so?

Late this afternoon, when I should have been doing housework, for fun I wanted to teach my labs something new.

I thought of teaching waving. I used a clicker.

One dog caught on relatively quickly, in two sessions, five minutes apart. Session duration about 6 minutes.

When teaching and confused he would offer the drop and back. As I was wearing shorts and sitting down he accidently scratched my legs when dropping. He is fast.

I eventually stood up after he waved consistently a few times, and was astounded with his subsequent correct waving. When I sat down again he was not as correct.

Why????, was he more correct when I stood up?

Hmmmm...

If you do the vast majority of your training standing, dog may be confused when you're sitting. Reflecting dog (in)ability to generalise perhaps? So he reverted to things he knew well. Also, you standing, perhaps easier for him to look at you, remain balanced and wave. Wonder what said dog would do if you sat down during retrieving training...

Now back to the housework :thumbsup:6.gif2.gif12.gif

Showed my husband the dogs waving. Dogs were as cute as could be, husband rolled his eyes and added "that will come in handy". Party popper.

Edited: Gosh, aren't I hopeless. Pooper but popper!!!!

Edited by Lablover

Been told single paw waving is an easy behavior to train. Distance not a problem, that is..... moved 3 metres away, with no errors. Tried two leg waving then moved to spins.

TSD, I lay down and dogs performed well.

Need suggestions for difficult tricks.

Not really difficult tricks, but lately I have been working on opening their own crate doors (by tying a rope to the door which they can pull), heeling (perfect heel takes skill and time), walking around an object, pivoting with front feet on object, hand touch and grabbing a toy (which will become 'pick up a toy in the distance and put it in my hand).

It's all done by shaping, so it required brain power. I also shaped a roll over with my puppy, which was surprisingly easy, only took about 4 sessions and a total of 20 minutes (when he was 3 months).

And yes, waving dogs are cute! I teach my dogs all sorts of useless tricks that I think are cute. They are not just useless tricks, besides being cute they are also shaping practice and mental stimulation.

Off topic but I watched this show on Foxtel at the weekend called blue collar dogs.

It was about dogs that are used for medical work (cancer sniffing but also assistance dog).

There was 14 year old lab, the first graduate of an assistance programme who had been taught to execute commands like sit, drop speak, off large cards with either the word written in spanish or english or a picture.

I am still not sure whether this is actually possible or whether the person was giving them sneaky hand signals. I thought dogs had problems with 2 dimensions, bar that cleverest border collie in the world who lives somewhere in Austria :)

Was great to see a 14 year old dog still enjoying her "work" and giving back to the community by giving the odd demonstartion here and there.

A lot of the cancer footage I had seen before but it is still very interesting. Some scientists had tried to creat a robot "nose" which would have the same capabilities as a dog, the machine took up a whole room and was still not foolproof.

just proves what we already know, dogs are superior in so many ways.

BTW back on topic is the waving from side to side or forward and backward?

Perhaps you could train the dogs to do the housework LL?

(then when you have got them doing it right you could send them to me for a bit or I could send you the Whippets to housework train too)

Annie

I think my dogs as rather clever, but they ain't no Lassie! ha ha.

My word labradors drop coat, all five of them. Two vacuum cleaner home.

Talking about not clever, recently had floor coverings redone, but stupid stupid me, still thought carpet in the lounge and dining rooms would be AOK.

Perhaps you could train the dogs to do the housework LL?

(then when you have got them doing it right you could send them to me for a bit or I could send you the Whippets to housework train too)

Annie

I think my dogs as rather clever, but they ain't no Lassie! ha ha.

My word labradors drop coat, all five of them. Two vacuum cleaner home.

Talking about not clever, recently had floor coverings redone, but stupid stupid me, still thought carpet in the lounge and dining rooms would be AOK.

I have cream carpet and a black labrador.... ;) :(:rainbowbridge:

teach them to get the phone for you when it rings :o

though, the slobber is not nice....

Five black labradors here, with cream carpet! ha!

I am not educated regarding computer use...so will try and answer questions.

My labs are very hand orientated (obedience and retrieving) I wiggle my index finger, for the "waving" cue. They wave up and down. Amazing how all five labradors wave differently.

I have definitely trained mostly standing up.

Edited by Lablover

Been told single paw waving is an easy behavior to train. Distance not a problem, that is..... moved 3 metres away, with no errors. Tried two leg waving then moved to spins.

TSD, I lay down and dogs performed well.

Need suggestions for difficult tricks.

Well not difficult tricks but if you have wave then you probabaly have the makings of many more tricks, hi 5, cross your paws, turn the light on (depending on your light switches), which paw (holding something hidden in one hand and present both closed fists to the dog to choose), targeting with paw, who do you love?(dog raises paw and places it on owner), limp, high march, stinky dog/shy (paw over nose). I always like to teach targeting with nose and paw as once you have that you have so many tricks already halfway learnt.

Impressive trick that looks hard but are really simple to teach are blow bubbles in your water bowl, yes, no, slamdunk (also can be used for put your toys away or pick up the beer cans after a party)and quoits. Check out youtube for ideas, I always find new ideas there and also post my dogs there too on OZPAWFX. Any training you do with your dog is useful as it helps build the bond and the more you exercise your dogs brain the easier it is to train plus your dog is less likely to find mischief to stimulate it. Have fun, you are only limited by your imagination, our dogs are smart cookies. The way a trick is presented can make it more interesting too so if you use sutile hand signals as well as commmands it can be handy. ie instead of just telling the dog to say yes or no, ask it a question and then give a sutile hand signal so it appears to be answering. :thumbsup: