Deposits For Puppies

janeses

I'm expecting my 2nd litter in about 3.5 weeks time. I have had alot of interest in this litter & have now quite a big waitng list. I haven't promised anyone a puppy yet, I have had a lovely long chat with all of these potential puppy owners, taken their details & the sex of puppy they would preffer & told them I will get back to them, when my bitch has her puppies & we find out what she has.

I will then choose the people on my list that I like the most & that I feel would be the best homes for one of my babies (even though everyone on my list sound fantastic, so its going to be hard to choose ) I will ring them back, & if they are still keen on a puppy I will then ask them to foward me a $200.00 deposit.

Only refundable if the puppy dies, doesn't pass vet check or if I change my mind about the suitability of them being a good home for my puppy. They will not be refunded for simply changing their mind.

If a potential puppy person doesn't want to give me a deposit, then they won't get a puppy, simply as that, & I will choose someone else on my list. I have too much interest in this litter for people to stuff me around, & there's not too many other breeders with a litter of my breed in Australia at the moment, so a puppy is very hard to find.

Anyone on my list that doesn't get a puppy this time, is quite welcome to wait till my next litter, or are free to purchase a puppy from another breeder if one comes available. :(

Only refundable if the puppy dies, doesn't pass vet check or if I change my mind about the suitability of them being a good home for my puppy. They will not be refunded for simply changing their mind.

This is the exact reason why we don't do deposits,when you take one you have already proceeded with a transaction of sale & if those people decide to pursue they will win.

many breeders got caught out for this & that is why they no longer do deposits.

We don't & never will,if people change there mind then i am more than happy they have chosen that path then take pup & either lie & on sell or it not part of the life i had hoped for.

Exactly Showdog. A deposit from a purchaser is part of the contract of sale, once you accept a deposit you are legally obligated to complete the sale and provide the puppy. You cant just change your mind and give the deposit back, unless the purchaser also agrees to void the sale.

We dont keep a list as such and we dont take deposits from people that we haven't met. We usually meet the prospective owners at 6 weeks and once we offer them a puppy, we ask for a $200 deposit. $200 really represents a commitment from the buyer, but of course they can still walk away and not buy the pup. But at least it gives us a better idea of how many puppies we have left for sale!

Exactly Showdog. A deposit from a purchaser is part of the contract of sale, once you accept a deposit you are legally obligated to complete the sale and provide the puppy. You cant just change your mind and give the deposit back, unless the purchaser also agrees to void the sale.

We dont keep a list as such and we dont take deposits from people that we haven't met. We usually meet the prospective owners at 6 weeks and once we offer them a puppy, we ask for a $200 deposit. $200 really represents a commitment from the buyer, but of course they can still walk away and not buy the pup. But at least it gives us a better idea of how many puppies we have left for sale!

I didn't know that was the law, might have to reconsider taking deposits then, I don't want to be obligated.

I must have been lucky with my last litter...I had what I thought at the time a lovely family that came to see the pups at 6 weeks old & put a deposit down on one of my female pups...everyone was happy & I was told they would pick the pup up in 2 weeks time.

Anyway a couple of days later I got a call from the lady to say that they where picking the pup up at the end of the week instead (pup would be 7 weeks old ) because the family had decided to take a road trip Qeensland holiday for the school holidays & they wanted to bring the pup with them. :laugh:

When I explained to her that being a registered breeder I am bound by a code of ethics & that I can't release a pup until it is atleast 8 weeks old, & that the pup needs to be with its litter mates & mum till that time anyway, she started swearing at me & abusing me, telling me that I was being unreasonable & over protective....I then tried to explain that I didn't feel comfortable with them taking a baby puppy on such a long road trip anyway & that at that age the pup should be settling into its new home, not being driven half way round the country for 2 weeks, & also that it wouldn't be safe for the puppies health & she wouldn't be fully vaccinated yet & could pick up parvo in public places. I then offered to keep the puppy here for them till they came back...but she just kept swearing at me & saying that I was letting her children down, as they where looking foward to bringing the puppy on holiday with them. :o

I then told her that there was no way I was releasing the pup to them till 8 weeks, there's no way I was going till let them take one of my babies to Qeensland, & if they still wanted the pup, they could pick it up after they come back. I also said I wasn't happy with the way she was speaking to me..& being the pups breeder, I deserve a little more respect than that ... she then yelled at me & said "why should I give you any respect,?" "Your just the puppies breeder!!" & your just a control freak, you can't tell me what to do with my puppy after I pay for it !! & "I have kids here that are crying now & heart broken because of you,"....She then called me a snob & an over protective bitch & then told me to f**k off!!

By this stage I was so upset with the way she was speaking to me, that I couldn't even think straight,but I did know that there was NO WAY she was going to get my little girl...

I then told her that I would be sending her the deposit back, & that they would not be getting the puppy due to the way she was speaking to me.. & that as the puppies breeder I would like to have a good relationship with my puppy owners, & after this ph call that would never happen..Then I just hung up on her, as I didn't want to hear any more of her abuse. :D

I was actually shaking when I got of the ph & had a lump in my throat..like I was going to burst into tears, I just couldn't believe the way she spoke to me...After all the work I put into raising the litter, I didn't deserve to be spoken to that way. :)

I half expected her to ring back & abuse me some more....but she never did, & I sent the deposit back & never heard from them again. There was no way this nut case was going to get one of my babies. :D

So I am relieved they didn't take it further, especially after you telling me that the law would be on their side if they had.

I think I actually might not take deposits then, I would hate the thought of one of my puppies being stuck in the wrong home. :laugh:

Edited by Baileys mum

Bailey's Mum, you definitely dodged a bullet with that family, OMG!! :laugh:

Yeah I know,I couldn't believe some one could be so nasty :o It still upsets me when I think about it, I remember at the time saying to my OH that I would never breed again after dealing with that nutter. :D

I ended up finding a gorgeous home for this little girl with a lovely middle aged couple whose kids had all left home, & they spoil her rotten & treat her like a special little princess. They keep in contact with me via facebook & I love looking at all there lovely photos. :)