Feeding Pups Between Flight And Long Car Ride

mini girl

Hi all again - just want to get a couple of opions on this one - I am putting two 9 week old mini poodles on the plane from Brisbane to Adelaide they fly out at 6 10 am in the morning so will have them at the airport before 5 o'clock and they will arrive at Adelaide at 9.30 am - of course no food allowed on the day before they fly - but they do have a 5 hour car trip after being picked up to go home with their new owners - I've suggested they take some cooked chicken - not too much and water and give them very small amounts along the trip - as its going to be quite a while before they are home - I don't want to suggest they give them a full meal before the car trip as we all know how pups can get car sick - do you think I'm on the right track as if they hold off feeding them till home will be around 3 o'clock in the afternoon before having anything to eat - told her of course to have water for them. They are pretty chubby so a few hours without food shouldn't be too hard on them - but never sent any pups yet with quite as long a trip before getting to their home.

I'd offer them water before they start the cartrip and perhaps a small handful of something (or something to chew on - chicken neck, 2x2 biscuit on the trip). I'd probably opt for the latter.

Edited by Aziah

What are they like in the car now ? My puppies never get carsick after the first ride and I make sure they have lots of car trips before leaving to get them used to it. If you can drive them around without them being sick then they should be fine to feed when they arrive. I hope you also mean that you won't feed them just the night before, not the whole day before they leave. That would be way too long for babies to go without food.

I would give them there evening meal a bit later the night before.

Offer them water before putting on the plane and again once arriving in Adelaide.

I would wait till the new owners got home before feeding, it does make it a long day without food and the pups may look a bit hollow but they will be fine.

Leanne

Hi all again - just want to get a couple of opions on this one - I am putting two 9 week old mini poodles on the plane from Brisbane to Adelaide they fly out at 6 10 am in the morning so will have them at the airport before 5 o'clock and they will arrive at Adelaide at 9.30 am - of course no food allowed on the day before they fly - but they do have a 5 hour car trip after being picked up to go home with their new owners - I've suggested they take some cooked chicken - not too much and water and give them very small amounts along the trip - as its going to be quite a while before they are home - I don't want to suggest they give them a full meal before the car trip as we all know how pups can get car sick - do you think I'm on the right track as if they hold off feeding them till home will be around 3 o'clock in the afternoon before having anything to eat - told her of course to have water for them. They are pretty chubby so a few hours without food shouldn't be too hard on them - but never sent any pups yet with quite as long a trip before getting to their home.

I read this the first time as no food allowed the entire day before the day of their flight :)

Water during the trip and a small meal when they get home would be the way I'd go, but I think Stafford pups probably have a bit more meat on them than Mini Poodles :laugh:

A little cooked chicken probably wouldn't hurt if they're good travellers, nutrigel if they're not so good.

Just keep emphasising the importance of water above all else.

I read this the first time as no food allowed the entire day before the day of their flight :thumbsup:

Water during the trip and a small meal when they get home would be the way I'd go, but I think Stafford pups probably have a bit more meat on them than Mini Poodles :)

A little cooked chicken probably wouldn't hurt if they're good travellers, nutrigel if they're not so good.

Just keep emphasising the importance of water above all else.

Sorry to worry you - no will not be withholding food the day before they fly just their breakfast on the day they fly - also will pick up a tube of nutrigel and send some - just in case - they have been in their crate to and from the vets but thats not a real long way - will feed them as suggested a little later tonight and send some nutriget along and see how they go - as long as they get plenty of water they should be fine. Thanks everyone for your advice.