How To Get A Dog To Gain Weight?

Hi all smart DOLERS, I am after some advice regarding a friends dog.

It is a medium size breed should weigh about 7 kilos but is 5.5 kilos. :winner:

The dog lived on acreage so is well muscled and used to excercise.

How can they put weight on her safely?

All medication is up to date and the dog is healthy.

The dog will still be walked everyday so it doesn't become bored or try to escape.

The other dogs in the household eat boiled chicken mince with pasta, mixed with dry food.

Plus big meaty bones & other treats.

Thanks

BB

Is it ribby , with spine showing?Does it look really bony?

If it really needs to put on weight .. then feed it meat with some fat on - lamb/ox cheek - for example .

These people have just acquired the dog?

My guess is that it will put weight on , if it is not racing around as much - a new ,more sedentary lifestyle may be all that is needed .Boiled chicken mince & pasta doesn't sound a wonderful diet ..even when combined with some dry ...

What breed, how old?

Simple answer is increase the amount of food consumed, the fat content of the food consumed or both.

Working dog or performance kibble is often good. So is lamb - ribs, necks and other fatty cuts.

Edited by poodlefan

I had success with porridge - normal oats made with water in the microwave and then made mushy with rice milk. Then mixed with kibble once cooled down a bit. Fed this once a day.

I also fed a 'power' formula (EP Power).

I got about 9kg on with this diet.

Make sure worming is up to date.

Feed twice daily - BARF will put weight on as will all the other things already posted.

I have found that getting the dog into a routine of eating is the major hurdle.

Once you have found the right amount to feed so that the dog eats everything that is given to it, then it is just a matter of gradually increasing the amount of food you feed.

Exercising picky dogs usually helps increase the appetite.

who says the dog needs to be 7kg? By the way this is not a medium breed if it's in this weight range, it's small.

if the dog is well muscled and healthy leave it alone. Up the amount of protein from red meat sources though it sounds a little lacking in that.

Agree - who says it needs to be 7kg? I never go by weight ever - I only go by look and feel. Like humans, the correct weight for the dog is the weight at which THAT dog is in a lean and healthy condition.

Is the dog lean and fit and looking in good health? If so, it is much better it stays that way. We humans nowdays have a habit of keeping our dogs way too fat. A fit lean dog that you can feel the ribs in under a light cover is a healthy dog.

Note that young dogs may stay lean for a couple of years - dont push them to put on weight too fast. Weight (or rather bulk) comes with the development of muscle and maturity.

If it is really thin with no covering and hip/backbone really prominent and coat not in good condition then maybe more weight is needed. Feed more fat and protein. As suggested, lamb is good.