Heartworm Preventatives

Leema

What products for heartworm can be used without the dog being tested beforehand?

What products for heartworm can't be used without the dog being tested beforehand?

ETA: I know the term 'preventative' is a bit misleading in this topic title. They are, in fact, treatments... But anyway, you get my gist!

Edited by Leema

I've been meaning to ask this same question. I have friends who live in the country and they have dogs and want to start giving them heartworm protection but don't want to drive ages to the nearest vet just for a blood test. They've asked me what they can give the dogs without the test (they have no symptoms) but I don't know.

I am enquiring for someone else. Personally, I do not treat my dogs for heartworm and do not plan to.

The dog in question has a flea allergy and they are finding Frontline ineffective. They are looking for alternatives, but are concerned that some of the other spot on treatments contain heartworm treatments and that this may be harmful to their dog.

I actually did suggest Comfortis. :eek: And also the new 'shoo tag', which I've never heard any personal accounts regarding, but is still interesting.

I am still curious about my original question, though!

What products for heartworm can be used without the dog being tested beforehand?

What products for heartworm can't be used without the dog being tested beforehand?

ETA: I know the term 'preventative' is a bit misleading in this topic title. They are, in fact, treatments... But anyway, you get my gist!

Most of the monthly chews seem to be safe - Sentinel and Interceptor are as is the yearly injection, but if the dog has heartworm, these products will only kill the young stage and anything older than this can still progress to adult stage. It takes 6 months for them to develop into the adults which you can test for.

Revolution is also safe to use in heartworm affected animals, but again, like with all the products, they recommend testing either at the time of starting and again 6months later, or 6months after starting.

The daily tablets are not safe to give to a dog with heartworm.

I moved from a non heartworm area earlier this year to a heart worm area. I rang the vet to enquire about the test etc and she said to start them on heartguard and get them tested in 6 months. I dont think mine will need the test as I had only been here a matter of weeks before I started them on it and it takes 6 months for the worms to mature. Can anyone tell me if I should still get them tested or should I be right?