Great Equipment But No Idea

*Lolapalooza*

Hey Y'all

I have my first show tomorrow with my 7d and 70-200mm 2.8f IS lens.

Whats the best setting to have the camera on for great show pics? It is an outside show should be a nice day. I am aiming for stacked and moving.

I have read various things, some say have the TV on more than 1/640 for action, others say have it on AV and open the lens up as wide as possible or one stop down.

Any hints would be appreciated its my babies first shows and I want to set the camera right.

Thanks in advance :D

My advice would be do some shots of breeds in the ring before your guys go in and experiment with a couple of things and see what results you get.

hopefully someone with more idea of the equipment you are using will come in and give you some more useful help :D

Outside? Sunny day?

Easiest would probably be ISO 100, F/2.8, AV mode.

For stacked shots, One Shot Focus and single frame shooting.

For the action shots, AI Servo, and High Speed Continuous.

Are you confident with focusing? If you aren't it may pay to shoot at f/4 or even f/5.6 (and boost ISO to 200).

F8, ISO 400 and speed 1/1000th on a sunny day - if a dog is moving you want it set on AI Servo or the photos wont be so good. But please go and get the magic lantern book on the 7D as it goes into more depth on how to set the camera up to take the photos you want - its a more complex camera than the XXXD or XXrange

Embarrassingly I have the magic Lantern book. :)

We did the shots on AV at f3.2 ISO 100 they look good. Tomorrow I will have a crack at other breeds and practice, today I was a bot late cos the babies ran on the wet grass and I had to re-dry them :) .

Thanks everyone for your ideas, I really appreciate it.

I have the same camera and lens as you and for the whippet fun days I used to use AV and let the camera choose the shutter speed. It was a bit hit and miss. Lately I've had more success using TV of at least 1/2000th and let the camera choose the aperture. I also tried auto ISO and WB. I shoot RAW though so I can change the WB later if I want.

I've also used Manual with success, it's taken me a while to get the hang of the camera though.