Kong / Treat Ball Recipies

kirst_goldens

I was searching for some good recipies and though why not ask here so i figure lets make it a keeper so everyone can use it!! So pls post away!! My baby will love u all for it hahaha!

Heres some i found on the kong site!

Honey monster

Ingredients

Clear honey

Dried apricots, diced

Apple

How to stuff it

Dice the apple into small cubes.

Put the honey into a saucepan and heat until it becomes runny. Then remove the pan from the heat, add in the diced apricots and apples and mix well.

Allow the mix to cool a little before pouring into the kong with a bung in the small hole (such as tinfoil, you can remove it when it’s cooled). If it’s going into a container with large holes at both ends, such as a calcium bone, allow it to cool quite a lot first or it will pour right out again! You may find it easier to use a piping bag cut open at the end (ie without a nozzle) rather than pouring/spooning this sticky susbstance.

Allow it to cool completely before giving to your dog.

BANANA RAMA:

1 fresh banana

2 tbs wheat germ •

1 tbs plain yogurt (can use your pet's

favorite flavor as well) •

Any KONG Toy that best fits your pet's

chewing temperament.

In a bowl, mash up banana. Then, add wheat germ and yogurt. Mash all ingredients together and use spoon to add to KONG. Freeze for 4 hours. Makes 1 serving for Medium KONG. Double for every KONG size that is bigger.

Fruit Salad:

Apple and carrot chunks

1/4 of a banana

Appropriate KONG toy

Place apples and carrots in KONG toy. Mush the bananas in large hole to hold fruit in place. You can include other fruits and veggies: orange slices, peach and/or nectarine chunks, celery sticks, broccoli and/or cauliflower, tomato and black olive mixture.

Aunt Jeannie's Archeology KONG (for advanced dogs)

Fill your KONG toy (the larger the better!) in layers and pack as tightly as possible. LAYER ONE (deepest): KONG Stuff’N Beef and Liver treats. LAYER TWO: KONG Stuff’N Tail Mix or dry dog kibble, Cheerios, sugar-free, salt-free peanut butter, dried banana chips, apples and apricots. LAYER THREE: carrot sticks, turkey or leftover ravioli or tortellini. The last item inserted should be an apricot or piece of ravioli, presenting a smooth "finish" under the main opening. - by Jean Donaldson

Frozen Jerky Pops:

Peanut butter

Bouillon

Jerky Strips • Water

Appropriate KONG toy

Muffin tin. Smear a small amount of peanut butter over small hole in your KONG toy. Fill with cool water and add a pinch of bouillon. Place a Jerky Stick inside KONG toy and freeze. This can also be put (once frozen) in a children's size swimming pool for a fun day of fishing for your pet.

- by Terry Ryan

Edited by kirst_goldens

Mine havent had thier kongs for a while, I used them a lot when they were younger, not so much any more. I use mostly savory stuff, left overs, chicken cut up sausage what ever I have on hand and layer it in the kong with dry food, and a paste of some sort, either liverworst, peanut butter, cream cheese etc. Not to much of the paste stuff just enough to get it to stay in, so they have to work a bit harder to get it out.

I am lazy and usually mix up whatever is handy in a bowl and stuff it in - I just put one with dry food, some diced lamb and yoghurt in the freezer for tomorrow morning. Peanut butter and cream cheese are both great for covering the holes.

Billie bounces the food out then licks the inside clean. I should try something stickier to challenge her a bit. I crammed a whole steak in there a few months back and she had it out in less time than it took for me to put it in there. :thumbsup:

I do peanut butter and/or cheese spread with a sprinkling of dried treats, usually. Incidentally, I have some Kong stuffing I used in my pilot study back in December. Dogs love it. It's mostly just cheese extract. I don't use it because it's really expensive and kind of difficult to get it where you want it, but I have no doubt my dogs would think it incredible.

I am boring... I just fill the Kongs with Natures Gift tinned food and freeze overnight :confused:

Me Too!!

Occassionally he will get some left over chicken or vegies stuffed in there as well. But generally i am lazy when it comes to his kongs and he doesnt seem to care.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I was wondering.

For larger puppies, exuberant chewers, I break the wing tip off a chicken wing & stuff the other 2 sections in the kong, pointy end 1st. Takes that little bit longer.

I use one layer of peanut butter and one layer of normal kibble or cut up apple cubes.

I then layer the kong like this several times and freeze.

do you guys fill the whole kong with peanut butter? That doesn't seem too healthy, which is why i try to break it up with more healthy foods. But I guess it is ok for some dogs?

Chicken and beef stock make my dog get the runs.

I like the idea of the honey monster!

I do peanut butter and/or cheese spread with a sprinkling of dried treats, usually. Incidentally, I have some Kong stuffing I used in my pilot study back in December. Dogs love it. It's mostly just cheese extract. I don't use it because it's really expensive and kind of difficult to get it where you want it, but I have no doubt my dogs would think it incredible.

You can actually get "cheese in a can" for humans too! Yuck! One of my friends brought it back from america and it totally reminded me of kong stuffing!

It also comes in cheese and bacon flavour :)

ewww cheese in a can!!! bahaha

Dallas isnt great at the kong yet hahah she gets distracted easily and peanut butter seems a bit too hard but honey is a hit but an outside or crate treat only as makes a HUGE mess bahaha

she will get there!

• 2 weeks later...

Ewwww - cheese in a can - must be about the only thing that is more wrong than processed cheese slices.....

I sometimes soak kibble in lactose-free milk for a few hours, or bung it in the microwave for a minute if I am feeling lazy, and then mix minced chicken frames or ox cheek through it and stuff and freeze - the mix is thick enough that you don't need to plug the holes either :)

Also vegies that have been whizzed in food processor can be added to the above mix, and a bit of yoghurt for fart reduction

Is chicken or beef stock ok for a puppy?? or is it too high in salt?

Whoops, Just saw this.

I use the salt reduced one, and water it down a fair bit. I use just enough to give it some flavour.

I haven't done it for a puppy though (Rileys 10 now)