Protien Levels In Kibble

I am thinking of using a grain free kibble (Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural) to supplement my boy's diet instead of the Nutro he gets but the protien content seems really high? How would this effect the dog? Do you feed less? Or no difference?

Toby is a moderately active, about 20kg Kelpieish if that helps.

Toby is allergic to grass and over the summer (when the grass is dead) he is fine and has no episodes however when there is grass around and he is closer to threshold giving him certain foods (dairy and some really processed things) will set him off.

not all the grain free are high in protein, seems to be mainly the fish based one's

I'm not sure what they are in the brand you mentioned but Canidea

All life stages is 24 %

lamb and rice 21%

grain free life stages 0% grain is 34 %

the salmon I think is 40%

not all the grain free are high in protein, seems to be mainly the fish based one's

I'm not sure what they are in the brand you mentioned but Canidea

All life stages is 24 %

lamb and rice 21%

grain free life stages 0% grain is 34 %

the salmon I think is 40%

The All life Stages and Lamb and Rice aren't grain free. This is why they have lower protein contents i.e. 21-24%

All grain-free foods that I have seen have more than ~30% protein.

canidea are in the process of bringing out pureland 24% protien

Bison, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, potato protein, tomato pomace, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, natural mixed tocopherols, taurine, suncured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta-carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, papaya, pineapple

of course not sure how long it will be until we can buy it

i will be putting mine on it when it arrives

Yes I am going to try avoid grain at all, he is alredy on a no wheat,corn,soy diet with nutro.

Hi RallyValley

The reason why Grain Frees have higher proteins is because the meat content is much higher than your average dog food.

No rice, No fillers you actually feed less than most dog foods because they get more Meat and not fillers

Canidae's Grain free, 80% of the protein derives from the Meat

Hope this Helps

G.G

Artemis also does a grain free one but is fairly high in protein. If your dog is full grown then I suppose you can feed less as long as your pooch isn't left too hungry for the rest of the day. High protein can cause young dogs to grow too quiickly (so my breeder says anyway)

My shepherd was showing a skin allergy while young and we removed all commercial dog treats and it calmed down and doesn't seem to suffer often with it now. Just food for thought on the allergy front. Nothing proven just worked for us.

:vomit: