Ouch! Puppy Teeth Sure Are Sharp Little Buggers!

Nadine83

I was bitten recently in a place not usually associated with puppies...on the bum! :rofl: I was sitting on the floor watching the news while Bella was playing with a chew toy just to the side/behind me and next thing I know her little teeth are through the soft material of my PJs...and yes it hurts! Because I was focused on the TV I reacted before I realised so she copped a bit of an involuntary thwack - I doubt she'll do it again! Poor little bugger, she didn't meant it, chew toy and rump just got too close together. Apart from that, the only time I notice her sharp teeth is when I'm teaching her to drop something and have to pry it from her mouth, otherwise she has never snapped. But I feel I should touch some wood now, having said that....

the only time I notice her sharp teeth is when I'm teaching her to drop something and have to pry it from her mouth,

;) An easy way to avoid this ..is to play 'SWAP' swap her a tasty something.. or favourite toy for what she has in her mouth!! it works well , and , if you stick with a short happy command - carries over to adult hood - and means nasty /dangerous things can mostly be easily retrieved by you :)

the only time I notice her sharp teeth is when I'm teaching her to drop something and have to pry it from her mouth,

;) An easy way to avoid this ..is to play 'SWAP' swap her a tasty something.. or favourite toy for what she has in her mouth!! it works well , and , if you stick with a short happy command - carries over to adult hood - and means nasty /dangerous things can mostly be easily retrieved by you :)

Thanks Persephone :) I should have been more clear...I meant swap when I said drop, it's kind of in the same motion. But even with super tasty treats, sometimes there is just nothing nicer to chew on than whatever she's found, so sometimes prying is necessary. But she's getting better!

Edited by Puppybella

• 1 month later...

I know it's normal for puppies to bite.

But my GSD puppy is biting my feet whenever I go outside.

When I go to grab a toy she can bite she follows me and keeps biting :(

Also she is biting our hands.

I try to walk inside and leave her alone for a couple of minutes, but then she races me to the door like it is a game?

I also tried yelping but she just thinks the game gets funner then.

I've tried saying no sharply and giving her a time out.

Is it something puppies generally grow out of? I don't know what to do.. any advise would be marvelous. I don't want to have to wear shoes whenever I go outside to be with her. :/

When we were kids we'd stir up the pups into a frenzy, then lie down on the grass, cover our ears and enjoy the attention! As long as they can't put those tiny knives through your ears you're OK. Once my friend poked his tongue out at a pup and the pup licked his tongue. Gross, but I remember thinking how it could have easily bitten into it...

When she grabs you reach down and scruff her, growl and walk off. If she comes and wont bite offer her a toy or treat. She doesnt know any better but biting needs to stop ASAP

I actually read this in another of your posts that persephone linked, so I tried it,

it worked the first time I did it. But then after that she'd think it was a game and it would rev her up more.

I tried a different type of yelp this morning and it seems to work, she left my feet alone then. Then I gave her a nice roo bone to chew on.

If the pup tries again you have not done it hard enough. Remember to offer the dog something different. Conversely a squirt bottle with water and some lemon juice in it tends to get the point across.