Phantom Pregancy?-maiden

Irish Lassy

Hi every one!!

We just went through the first time trying to have babies with our bitch..

The first ultrasound pregnant

The second- nothing.

Apparently she has reabsorbed.

The question i have is- could she still be having a phantom pregnancy if they havnt been pregnant before and dont know what it is all about?

ie- have never had a litter before

She still has boobies!!

Could it just be a hormone thing?

Edited by Irish Lassy

Yes - my 2 1/2 Rottie bitch (maiden) had an impressive phantom, she not only gained a little weight, dug a bloody great hole under my grooming shed and she sounded like she was going through labor. I called a friend and she said if she didn't know better she would have thought we were in the middle of whelping. The poor bugger was looking everywhere for her imaginary puppies, so much so that I searched the yard and under the shed. I toileted her on lead or she would have stayed under the shed, she gathered all sorts of toys - some I had not seen for a very long time and was "mothering" them, so they were removed. I have her brother also but they are only together when I am with them so there was no hope in hell they had a chance of mating.

All my girls have phantoms but that was the worst one by far - and they all produce milk. When I had a litter of Pugs Piper (mother of the above) had milk for 5 weeks hoping to feed the pug pups.

Just remove all toys, don't give them a reason to stay clucky and get on with life - they do get over it.

Yep and yep. Our Ursula recently had a doozy after her first season, had boobs and milk for a couple of months!! And then completely dumped her coat afterwards. Sigh. Girls.

edit - can't spell, should sleep...

Edited by Alyosha

• 2 weeks later...

Ari had phantoms every season up til this time around when she was mated. I expected it each time with her.

I know of someone who had a mating, didn't get an ultrasound as they were sure that the bitch was pregnant. Posted photos up close to the time she was due - she was huge - had people on FB guessing 10-12 pups. Due date came and went - went to the vet for ultrasound - no pups. Was the most convincing phantom ever. She was huge, producing milk and went through some of the whelping behaviours...

in saying that IL, is there any chance that she could still have one hiding in there and the vet missed it?