Flea Allergy

Kaffy Magee

It's amazing, isn't it, how fast & nasty those flea allergy flare-ups are.

Yep :D

Our poor old bloke had been treated for a few weeks for a staff dermatitis with antibiotics. Seemed to be settling but he suddenly had a few red sore patches where he'd been chewing. Because we haven't had fleas in the house in five years, and I didn't see any on our black dogs, I didn't even think it might be fleas upsetting him as well! The groomer mentioned he'd seen fleas when I had him clipped :mad - late on a Saturday when the vet wasn't available, of course! Groomer didn't want to give him a flea wash because of the broken skin. After that I caught several on him and some on Jodie.

We've used Capstar (left in the cupboard after treating some rescue dogs), Revolution, Fleatrol Plus, washing, vacuuming, sunshine and some new bedding. I *hope* we're finally on top of the rotten little bugs.

We have a supply of cortisone and antihistamine in the cupboard because Stevie can sometimes have extreme allergic reactions (cause unknown), always after vet hours :eek: Old Mate is on Meloxicam though, so can't give him much else.

Our cat gets allergy to even 1 flea bite, so bad she rips out all the fur around the area. Makes you start to be really vigillant! It's a horrible thing. Luckily my dog doesn't appear to have the same issue.

Our cat gets allergy to even 1 flea bite, so bad she rips out all the fur around the area. Makes you start to be really vigillant! It's a horrible thing.

Alyra & Katdogs, the same vet told me with allergy-prone pets, to keep watch on the inside of their ears. He said that a simmering allergic reaction showed up first there with a bright pink colour. It can help in getting treatment going early, like ridding of the even 1 flea which is triggering it, popping an antihistamine etc.

Don't bother with the Frontline...go with Comfortis - a bit more expensive (depending where you buy) but works within hours and is incredibly effective!

A firm believer in Confortis. Miss PC was down to blood and skin before we started her.. 6 months later.. clear skin and full coat and not a flea within 25 sqm.. not even the neighbors dogs !! Two doses and no residual fleas for in house MEDIUM sized dogs. WE SWEAR BY IT. When a vet is scratching his head at what to do with an OCD dog with flea and mite itch dermatitis.. CONFORTIS..

Don't bother with the Frontline...go with Comfortis - a bit more expensive (depending where you buy) but works within hours and is incredibly effective!

A firm believer in Confortis. Miss PC was down to blood and skin before we started her.. 6 months later.. clear skin and full coat and not a flea within 25 sqm.. not even the neighbors dogs !! Two doses and no residual fleas for in house MEDIUM sized dogs. WE SWEAR BY IT. When a vet is scratching his head at what to do with an OCD dog with flea and mite itch dermatitis.. CONFORTIS..