Dog In Car With Windows Up

Leelaa17

One of my foster pups steals my cups of coffee which is very dangerous to her health (from me on the days when it's my first cup of the day and she's just nicked it!).

I think it it wise to warn people about the potential dangers of leaving dogs in cars.

Howie found my bag of Clinkers when I was packing up at a show once. He opened the bag, tasted them all, ate the green and yellow ones and spat the pink ones out. :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't tie my dogs outside at the shop but I don't have a problem leaving them in the car with 1 one down a couple of cms if it's a cool evening or so... but it's never long, maybe about 10 minutes tops.. it all depends how busy the shops are.

I remember sitting in the car and Charlie was sitting in his booster chair, I had so many random people sticking their hands through their window trying to pat him... luckily he doesn't mind. But, I don't want to think what will happen if that was Emmy... she is wary of strangers and needs room to back away, but if she is in the car in her harness, she can't move to get away...

Charlie always comes with me when I get my petrol filled and i keep the windows up because I don't want him to smell the fume.

The dogs ate my Fil 'o fish once when I ran back into Maccas because I forgot to get a thickshake for the boyfriend...

Edited by CW EW

In cooler weather I leave mine in the car with the windows up, and even more outrageously, I sit in there as well, with the windows up :D I think you might have missed something in the message about leaving dogs in cars, it's about the temperature, not the fact the windows are up :o

I like this response lol

When I have to leave the dogs in the car for a very short period by themselves I actually leave the windows up to keep the cool air in from the airconditioning that has been going in my car several hours or so (depending on how long I've been driving around for). In fact I actually sit with them in the car for a few minutes and blast the air conditioner to arctic conditions so it stays even cooler! When I get back in the car it's still nice and cool. I've worked out that this is better than having the windows down and letting the nice cold air escape. This was just the other day I did this and it was only about 20 degrees outside. I have put a lot of thought into this, but I suppose I'm still irresponsible.

Edited by Akay

In cooler weather I leave mine in the car with the windows up, and even more outrageously, I sit in there as well, with the windows up :D I think you might have missed something in the message about leaving dogs in cars, it's about the temperature, not the fact the windows are up :o

I like this response lol

When I have to leave the dogs in the car for a very short period by themselves I actually leave the windows up to keep the cool air in from the airconditioning that has been going in my car several hours or so (depending on how long I've been driving around for). In fact I actually sit with them in the car for a few minutes and blast the air conditioner to arctic conditions so it stays even cooler! When I get back in the car it's still nice and cool. I've worked out that this is better than having the windows down and letting the nice cold air escape. This was just the other day I did this and it was only about 20 degrees outside. I have put a lot of thought into this, but I suppose I'm still irresponsible.

I've even gone to the lengths of getting another key cut for my combo. The dogs have their blankets and pillows in the back which is segregated by a grill and I leave the car running with all the doors locked. They can't get to the front of the car to cause issues and they soak up the a/c like theyre on holiday, LOL!!!

I like this response lol

I've even gone to the lengths of getting another key cut for my combo. The dogs have their blankets and pillows in the back which is segregated by a grill and I leave the car running with all the doors locked. They can't get to the front of the car to cause issues and they soak up the a/c like theyre on holiday, LOL!!!

But you might faint in at the shops and then the car will eventually run out of petrol and then the dogs will perish because the windows are up! Sooooo irresponsble! LOL I've often wondered how I can lock the car but keep it running!! I wonder if I could leave the key in the ignition and then use the electronic thingy to lock the doors. Although I don't have a grill and leaving the dogs free to roam in a running car would be irresponsible, EVEN if the windows were down! LOL

Edited by Akay

But you might faint in at the shops and then the car will eventually run out of petrol and then the dogs will perish because the windows are up! Sooooo irresponsble! LOL I've often wondered how I can lock the car but keep it running!! I wonder if I could leave the key in the ignition and then use the electronic thingy to lock the doors. Although I don't have a grill and leaving the dogs free to roam in a running car would be irresponsible, EVEN if the windows were down! LOL

I guess you probably could, but yes, I wouldn't do it if my dogs could get near the gear stick or hand brake.

If they are harnessed into a seatbelt clip though they shouldn't be able to get to the front!

I guess you probably could, but yes, I wouldn't do it if my dogs could get near the gear stick or hand brake.

If they are harnessed into a seatbelt clip though they shouldn't be able to get to the front!

That's a thought :-)

That's a thought :-)

In the cool weather I often take a couple of my own dogs or my foster dogs out in the car with me, to go shopping, to grab a cup of coffee or even have lunch. It's a good way to teach a dog to enjoy travelling in the car, they enjoy the outings because they get to see different things and go for walks in new places and most of my dogs just like going out with me ... even if they spend most of it in the car. It's not safe in the hot weather, but on a cold day the car is a nice place to me and I'll often buy a cup of coffee and a snack and drive somewhere pleasant sit in the warm and watch the view while the dogs nap in the back. One of my dogs loves the car so much that if I put him in he'll want to stay there and he's occasionally chosen to sleep in the car overnight.

I think there has been a long bow drawn from "it's not safe to leave a dog in the car on hot days" to "it's never safe for a dog to be left in the car at all".

Clearly human infants or dogs in a car on hot days are a whole different thing, but common sense means making a decision based on the context and circumstance.

When Darcy was a baby he went with me almost everywhere. The first time I put him in the car in his harness he absolutely screamed, he hated it, and did everything in his power to get out of his harness and into my lap :D If I didn't take him with me whenever I went out he would never have gotten used to it. He went with me to get petrol, he waited in the car while I ducked in to grab a couple of things at the shops, to go pick up pizzas for dinner etc. I never left him in the car during the day when it was hot or for long periods of time, he was always safe. And he now loves going for drives and will run out to the car and wait near the door when I tell him we're going for a drive ;)

Nothing wrong with leaving dogs in cars in cooler weather. On a hot day, leaving the windows down does nothing anyway and from the sounds of it the OP's dogs were left in the car a lot longer than the other lady's so I don't see why they would feel the need to get angry about it...

OH and I left our boys sleeping in the backseat for roughly 10 minutes when we where away over Easter. Nice cool day, windows down a little, parked in the shade.

When we got back, Ricky the GSD was sitting happily in the driver seat (Nice sand coating everything thanks to the fact we where just at the beach), apparently he decided we took a little too long so was gonna drive himself home :D