Advice On Desexing ?

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs, especially

immature male dogs, in order to prevent future health problems. The number of health problems associated

with neutering may exceed the associated health benefits in most cases.

On the positive side, neutering male dogs

• eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer

• reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders

• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas

• may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive)

On the negative side, neutering male dogs

• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a

common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.

• increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6

• triples the risk of hypothyroidism

• increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment

• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems

• quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer

• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers

• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders

• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

Sorry everyone,

Don't know how this other info got onto my thread but was just after some advice regarding desexing Stella, my almost 6 month old female Border collie. Can find a lot of info on desexing males but not much regarding our little girls. I have her on limited register so it must be done which is fine with me & I had in mind to book her into my vet next week when she is 6 months of age. Would appreciate any advice on this as I have heard some say that they think it is too young. But I certainly don't want her to come into season, so am I right in thinking that this could happen anytime after 6 months of age? Thank you in advance :eek: for you help.

Main risks of leaving it longer are increased risk of mammary cancer with each of the first two seasons she has, main risk of desexing early is the increased risk of spay incontinence with desexing before the first season. There are other risks & benefits resulting from the time of desexing, but generally small compared to those two things.

Most good vets I know will recommend desexing just before the first season, or after the first season, for a female pet dog.

Main risks of leaving it longer are increased risk of mammary cancer with each of the first two seasons she has, main risk of desexing early is the increased risk of spay incontinence with desexing before the first season. There are other risks & benefits resulting from the time of desexing, but generally small compared to those two things.

Most good vets I know will recommend desexing just before the first season, or after the first season, for a female pet dog.

When you say just before the first season, should that go by age, 6 mths. :eek: or are there signs that she is coming on heat or about to besides the obvious when it is too late. I am a newbie as far this girlie dog stuff goes. LOL just want to do what has to be done at best time for my Stella.

When you say just before the first season, should that go by age, 6 mths. :eek: or are there signs that she is coming on heat or about to besides the obvious when it is too late. I am a newbie as far this girlie dog stuff goes. LOL just want to do what has to be done at best time for my Stella.

It's not as safe to desex when she's on heat, since there's a higher chance of blood loss during & after the operation. By the time you notice her showing signs of coming on heat it's really too late, most vet clinics won't want to take her for elective desexing.

6 months is a good time to desex if you want to desex her before her first heat. Most dogs will come on heat for the first time between 6 and 12 months (although there are always variations!) so if you leave it too much longer, you may be too late. Or another option is to call your breeder (if she's from a breeder) to ask when their dogs typically come on heat for the first time.

Yes was in the process of emailing Stella's breeder ( she is very helpful & patient :eek: with me. Just been holding off as I know she is very busy at the Sydney Royal. Thank's for advice & help, I appreciate it.

Edited by BC Crazy

My Aussie girl was done at 11 months, before her first heat. Her breeder confirmed that her lines didn't usually come in before 12 months, so I wanted to wait as long as possible. If we'd had the facilities to care for a bitch on heat we would have left her until after her first season... but we didn't. If you have the facilities to keep her safe, you could always wait.