Scary Incident Yesterday

Kitt

gosh kitt, that is a scary incident indeed. I imagine all the adrenalin going though you would have caused for the lash out you gave the guy, hopefully he wont allow his dogs access to the window anymore, what an idiot!!

I hope you and Lucy are both ok Emotionally and dont let this stop you from enjoying your walks together :thumbsup:

Oh my - you poor thing. I had something almost identical happen to me. I was walking my boy - I had only just had stitches removed from my leg and it was very tender.

A bull breed jumped out of the window of a ute. I was with my husband and asked him to grab it as it headed for us - hackles up. He got it but it wrestled away - all before the owner came and got it. It headed straight for my dog. I put my leg in the way so it couldn't bite him. It bit my leg instead and tore open the stitches area.

Well that was it - I LOST IT. Even my husband said he had never heard language like it.

The attacking dog, the owner and my husband all just stood there dumbfounded. I then went to attack his dog - you have never seen anyone grab thier dog and nick off so quickly. I now understand when people say "temporary insanity". Apparently I went absoloutly ballistic. (as you do).

We reported him and eventually the dog was put down - not my preference at all. However he was fined thousands. So a suitable outcome at the end of the day. It could have been a child or elderly person who could not have faught back so much.

Today we had several stray dogs approach me while out walking our dogs - I am now so on the offensive most of the dogs just back off. Good idea!!

Hugs to you. Take it easy and your confidence will come back - but you will always be wary!

I just remembered... I was walking Max around the block one day and I was walking past a dental surgery... There was this very old cattle dog that wandered out of the parking lot and started following me and max... the dog kept trying to hump max and max was freaking out... at one point he actually threw himself onto the road (he was on a short lead) but managed to pull me almost onto the road with him and rolled on his back... We were on a very main road and I kept having to pull him back off the road because he was trying to get away from this dog.

The dog was very friendly but max didnt like it trying to hump him so he kept trying to get away from him by jumping and rolling everywhere... ultimately rolling and jumping onto the road a few times. Problem was - this dog didn't have an owner and just kept following us. Lucky I was close to home - I went in and grabbed a lead and put it on the dog, then called the owners and told them he was here with me.

it wasn't a nice experience because there was no immediate way I could get max away from this dog.

How scary:(

I lost it at a 12 and 9 year old when they were out walking a big dog they had no control over and it attacked my little poodle x. I swore at them and asked them what the f they were doing walking a dog they had no control over and various other things.

I would lose it any time someone's dog attack my dogs due to their stupidity.

I would have asked the kids where their parent were and then gone and sworn at them. I wouldn't be using language around kids of that age. It's not their fault, but the fault of the ignorant adults who allowed them to be in that situation. I wonder if you have kids and if you would appreciate another adult yelling at them in that fashion.

I didn't deliberately loose it at them, I had just seen my 4.5 kg dog attacked by their 40 kg dog, so I was pretty upset. They decided to make a run for it after I asked them repeatedly where they lived and said I wanted to talk to their parents, and I had to run after them to find out where they lived, and I did have a word with their father about it. I didn't swear at him though, I had calmed down slightly by then. If he had been the one walking the dog and not able to control, I would have sworn at him instead.

And btw, they knew that their dog doesn't like small dogs, because I used to be an Avon rep for my area, and I chatted to the wife once and she told me the dog doesn't like small dogs and had been behaving weirdly since they moved to this street, and they still let their kids walk it.

I don't have kids, but if I did and they did something stupid in my absence I would expect them to get yelled at. I grew up knowing that if there was an adult around and I did something stupid, they would tell me, despite not knowing them. Not like today when people can't handle any stranger correcting their kid for anything, and get their knickers in a knot over it.

Gosh I'm so sorry that happened to you! This is just yet another reason why my own dogs suffer. I refuse to do the normal thing and take them for a walk around the neighbourhood anymore. Too many morons with offlead dogs, and unrestrained dogs in cars. It affects my nerves too much and I don't want to ever put them at risk. Instead, I walk them around my parents neighbourhood sometimes, but more regularly they just get an offlead run several times a week down at the training grounds.

You reacted like anybody else would have. Hope your nerves have calmed down a bit now, I know how awful it can feel!!

Thanks everyone, for assuring me that my reaction was normal! Fuzzy, I understand about not intentionally losing it. It wasn't until after I had sworn and yelled at this guy that I thought "Oh gosh, was that me? Did I say that?... out loud??!!"

Sorry this happened to you Kitt. From experience, one thing to watch for incoming months is that it doesn't change how you respond to other charging dogs.

When my 2 were attacked by 2 loose and aggressive GSDs a while back it shook my confidence much, much more than I realised at the time.

In the months afterwards one of mine got a bit reactive with large dogs she didn't know coming up behind her.

She had never been like that at all previously, and I assumed it was because she had now been in a serious fight.

It took someone wise to point out that she was doing it because I was no longer acting like there was nothing to be afraid of, she had seen me not able to chase off the attacking dogs and now I was acting like all large strange dogs were dangerous, so she was stepping up to make the scary dogs keep their distance.

I still find it hard to act as calmly as I used to when loose dogs run over, but remembering I have to has stopped my dog thinking she has to deal with them.

How scary:(

I lost it at a 12 and 9 year old when they were out walking a big dog they had no control over and it attacked my little poodle x. I swore at them and asked them what the f they were doing walking a dog they had no control over and various other things.

I would lose it any time someone's dog attack my dogs due to their stupidity.

I would have asked the kids where their parent were and then gone and sworn at them. I wouldn't be using language around kids of that age. It's not their fault, but the fault of the ignorant adults who allowed them to be in that situation. I wonder if you have kids and if you would appreciate another adult yelling at them in that fashion.

I didn't deliberately loose it at them, I had just seen my 4.5 kg dog attacked by their 40 kg dog, so I was pretty upset. They decided to make a run for it after I asked them repeatedly where they lived and said I wanted to talk to their parents, and I had to run after them to find out where they lived, and I did have a word with their father about it. I didn't swear at him though, I had calmed down slightly by then. If he had been the one walking the dog and not able to control, I would have sworn at him instead.

And btw, they knew that their dog doesn't like small dogs, because I used to be an Avon rep for my area, and I chatted to the wife once and she told me the dog doesn't like small dogs and had been behaving weirdly since they moved to this street, and they still let their kids walk it.

I don't have kids, but if I did and they did something stupid in my absence I would expect them to get yelled at. I grew up knowing that if there was an adult around and I did something stupid, they would tell me, despite not knowing them. Not like today when people can't handle any stranger correcting their kid for anything, and get their knickers in a knot over it.

You didn't say in your first post that you asked where they lived and that you followed them nor did you say you had a word with their father.

Today is no different than in your growing up days. Your own words were you swore at the kids so this is not correcting them. I'm not getting my knickers in a knot, but just wondering if they are spoken in such a manner how you would expect them to have any respect towards their elders including yourself?