Agressive Dog In Brighton Dog Park

toy dog

just after people's thoughts on a situation that happened over the weekend on saturday at a local dog park at Brighton in Victoria.

I was walking my Kelpie cross GSP X (chocolate brown smooth coat) about the size of a lab with my brothers 2 golden retrievers and we were minding our own business and meeting and greeting dogs of all sizes and shapes with no hassles. in the past we have found most dogs here are pretty friendly and generally most owners are in control of their dogs except for this one young dog that was a big smaller than my dog who looked like a staffordshire bull terrier cross that was a bit timid and tried to hump my dog. ofcourse my dog Jake, didn't like it so turned around to warn the dog to get off him. but not agressively just moving out the way and growling usually enough for the offending dog to move on.

not this one, he/she turned around and starts grabbing hold of my dog and wouldn't let go so my dog goes into defense mode and this littlier dog gets my dog down on his back!!! i tried to grab my dog and move him off and away but this dog then bit me accidentally and i have now got a huge bruise on my hand and puncture marks also on my foot don't know how they got there. the owner of the other dog just grabbed his dog and pulled it off.

My dog was limping when we came away but then wasn't. the owner didn't even say sorry. i said as we moved away that dog is agressive!!!! they just looked at me clearly shocked.

my brother who regularly goes to that park hasn't seen this couple before so i think they are new. definately a cross bred with fighting breeds in it.

i always do this afterwards but i was thinking that dog should be muzzled or not taken to a free roaming dog park at all.

a lady came up and messaged Jakes legs for me which helped him a little bit i think, a very nice lady who said that once they get a taste of blood they keep on doing that to other dogs and will fight to the death.

pretty scary. i was thinking luckily i don't believe in walking my little chihuahuas in dog parks only take them to dog shows where the dogs are more controlled by more responsible owners, that dog would have killed my little dogs. this lady said to get the other dog to stop you lift the other dogs legs in the air, but i wouldnt' like to do that to a strange dog i'd get bittne for sure. I thought about hitting the other dog to get off my dog to deter it a bit, i had a canvas travelling bowl in my hand, but my brother reckons don't start hitting others dogs as the dog could turn on me also the owners but if they are attacking and nasty i am inclined to think stuff protocol, as i say the owners didn't even apologise for their dogs bad behaviour. :(

Edited by toy dog

just after people's thoughts on a situation that happened over the weekend on saturday at a local dog park at Brighton in Victoria.

I was walking my Kelpie cross GSP X (chocolate brown smooth coat) about the size of a lab with my brothers 2 golden retrievers and we were minding our own business and meeting and greeting dogs of all sizes and shapes with no hassles. in the past we have found most dogs here are pretty friendly and generally most owners are in control of their dogs except for this one young dog that was a big smaller than my dog who looked like a staffordshire bull terrier cross that was a bit timid and tried to hump my dog. ofcourse my dog Jake, didn't like it so turned around to warn the dog to get off him. but not agressively just moving out the way and growling usually enough for the offending dog to move on.

not this one, he/she turned around and starts grabbing hold of my dog and wouldn't let go so my dog goes into defense mode and this littlier dog gets my dog down on his back!!! i tried to grab my dog and move him off and away but this dog then bit me accidentally and i have now got a huge bruise on my hand and puncture marks also on my foot don't know how they got there. the owner of the other dog just grabbed his dog and pulled it off.

My dog was limping when we came away but then wasn't. the owner didn't even say sorry. i said as we moved away that dog is agressive!!!! they just looked at me clearly shocked.

my brother who regularly goes to that park hasn't seen this couple before so i think they are new. definately a cross bred with fighting breeds in it.

first of all... I am a true believer of its the deed not the breed. There are many 'fighting' dogs out there that have NEVER attacked or been vicious towards anyone, ever. So just because it is a 'fighting' breed doesn't mean that it is a bad dog. It is bad owners. ;)

i always do this afterwards but i was thinking that dog should be muzzled or not taken to a free roaming dog park at all.

DA dogs should never be taken to off lead dog parks. I get worried when I see muzzled dogs in dog parks, the reason being because my GSD was attacked by two much smaller dogs who had 'muzzles' on (they were actually de-barker muzzles).
a lady came up and messaged Jakes legs for me which helped him a little bit i think, a very nice lady who said that once they get a taste of blood they keep on doing that to other dogs and will fight to the death.

I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous. So does that mean if, I don't know. OK so say I tripped over and scratched my knee and blood was pouring out and I was crying. Max comes over and licks the blood off my knee before I can stop him... does that mean he's going to start attacking and eating humans? No. That's rubbish IMO. I am not a professional however so I don't know... but it SOUNDS ridiculous.

pretty scary. i was thinking luckily i don't believe in walking my little chihuahuas in dog parks only take them to dog shows where the dogs are more controlled by more responsible owners, that dog would have killed my little dogs. this lady said to get the other dog to stop you lift the other dogs legs in the air, but i wouldnt' like to do that to a strange dog i'd get bittne for sure. I thought about hitting the other dog to get off my dog to deter it a bit, i had a canvas travelling bowl in my hand, but my brother reckons don't start hitting others dogs as the dog could turn on me also the owners but if they are attacking and nasty i am inclined to think stuff protocol, as i say the owners didn't even apologise for their dogs bad behaviour. :(

and this lady is absolutely 100% right about stopping a dog fight. The BEST way to stop a dog fight is to grab the back legs and pull, it is the least likely way to get bitten. If you have tried to grab the dog by the neck it would've bit you much easier than if you had it by the back legs.

The reason for this is because they lose their balance and can't turn their heads all the way around to grab you.

When dogs fight they grab each others necks (normally), so if you go grabbing a dog that is angry on the neck then it is more than likely going to turn around and bite you quite easily.

In saying ALL of this. I am sorry that this happened. it would've been an awful experience for you and I hope you baby is ok and not hurt at all.

It was quite rude of the other owners not to say sorry, even if they didnt think it was their fault. A simple apology can sometimes go a long way.

Firstly, let me say I am so sorry about what you have gone through, that is terrible. I hope you and your dog are ok and that you both recover fully with no permanent scarring (physically or emotionally).

Not a good situation and I hope the owners are more careful in future but if their attitude was how you describe it, doubtful.

What the woman said about

once they get a taste of blood they keep on doing that to other dogs and will fight to the death.
is completely untrue. Check out K9 Pro's facebook page, they are currently rehabilitating/working with the Golden Retriever who was recently involved in an attack on his owners in Sydney(I think). It is an old wives tale. Many a fighting dog has been rehabilitated and placed into new homes with children and other dogs, some have even become therapy dogs (check out the book "The Lost Dogs" by Jim Gorant it is all about the Michael Vick dogs).

Lastly, I think you need to report to incident to the council and probably take some photos of your hand. If the same dogs attacks again in that park the council will have a bit of history.

And please as Leelaa has said Judge the Deed not the Breed. This is a bad example of the breeds owned by someone irresponsible, don't let it colour your view of other similar breeds :)

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Firstly, let me say I am so sorry about what you have gone through, that is terrible. I hope you and your dog are ok and that you both recover fully with no permanent scarring (physically or emotionally).

Not a good situation and I hope the owners are more careful in future but if their attitude was how you describe it, doubtful.

What the woman said about

once they get a taste of blood they keep on doing that to other dogs and will fight to the death.
is completely untrue. Check out K9 Pro's facebook page, they are currently rehabilitating/working with the Golden Retriever who was recently involved in an attack on his owners in Sydney(I think). It is an old wives tale. Many a fighting dog has been rehabilitated and placed into new homes with children and other dogs, some have even become therapy dogs (check out the book "The Lost Dogs" by Jim Gorant it is all about the Michael Vick dogs).

Lastly, I think you need to report to incident to the council and probably take some photos of your hand. If the same dogs attacks again in that park the council will have a bit of history.

I have met Busta (the GR who attacked four humans) and he was the beautiful, kind and gentle dog. He was so kind and gentle to my GSD. You would NEVER think he could've attacked another human being. Steve and Co are doing a GREAT job with him!

and this lady is absolutely 100% right about stopping a dog fight. The BEST way to stop a dog fight is to grab the back legs and pull, it is the least likely way to get bitten. If you have tried to grab the dog by the neck it would've bit you much easier than if you had it by the back legs.

The reason for this is because they lose their balance and can't turn their heads all the way around to grab you.

When dogs fight they grab each others necks (normally), so if you go grabbing a dog that is angry on the neck then it is more than likely going to turn around and bite you quite easily.

No.

I would not pull a fighting dog off another dog. You can cause terrible ripping injuries.

If you can get the dog by the back legs and flip the dog off-balance it may let go, but do not pull a dog that has hold of another. It will just bite on harder.

In all honesty, the dog parks presenting many risks and you cannot controlling who going there and control how the people handle their dogs, so my opinion is if you wanting best opportunity to keeping your dog and yourself safe from inleashed aggressive dogs, dont go to dog parks becuase you cant control what maybe going to happen in these places and is harder to identify the people to dob them in to the ranger so they get away with it too easily and dont care about controlling their dogs properly.

Joe

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. Some suburbs have dog parks with sectioned off areas for small dogs, you may want to look into this.

I am dissapointed my the number on inaccuracies in your post though......taste of blood.....cross bred with fighting breeds....

Edited by MEH

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. Some suburbs have dog parks with sectioned off areas for small dogs, you may want to look into this.

I am dissapointed my the number on inaccuracies in your post though......taste of blood.....cross bred with fighting breeds....

What happening is scary experience we must respect how she was feeling when it happens. Her dog is bitten, she bitten is no good. The dog didnt coming over for lick and kiss and give her nice experience, he attack and biting of course she feeling negative on the aggressive dog is natural for this after scary incident and biting her and her dog?

Joe

All inaccuracies aside, this dog BIT you. I don't care if it was redirected aggression. You should report this to the council with as much detail as possible regarding the dog and the owner.

What if he attacks some kids dog next and then redirects onto the child when they try to intervene?

REPORT IT.

I have met Busta (the GR who attacked four humans) and he was the beautiful, kind and gentle dog. He was so kind and gentle to my GSD. You would NEVER think he could've attacked another human being. Steve and Co are doing a GREAT job with him!

How a dog acts with dogs and how it acts with humans aren't necessarily related. Indeed, its uncommon for a dog to be both dog and human aggressive.

MEH

Some suburbs have dog parks with sectioned off areas for small dogs, you may want to look into this.

OP doesn't have a small dog. She has a dog that reacted to being humped and got bitten as a result.

Report the incident. The aggressing dog really doesn't sound suitable for offlead dog parks.

Edited by poodlefan

How a dog acts with dogs and how it acts with humans aren't necessarily related. Indeed, its uncommon for a dog to be both dog and human aggressive.

MEH

Some suburbs have dog parks with sectioned off areas for small dogs, you may want to look into this.

OP doesn't have a small dog. She has a dog that reacted to being humped and got bitten as a result.

Report the incident. The aggressing dog really doesn't sound suitable for offlead dog parks.

Oh yes I know that. Sorry. My GSD is excellent with people but not so good with dogs (however she is getting much much better from training! :)). I just meant that when I was patting Busta and giving him cudles he was so sweet, just sitting there smiling and wagging his tail. He was also very kind to Jenna (which is what I meant).

I don't know about the pulling of the back legs - but my dad used to always lift his greyhounds back legs higher than their heads and they would instantly drop whatever they were on.

Oh right! I thought you needed to pull? Lucky I have never been in THAT situation! Would've turned out a disaster! lol

So you just lift the legs up higher? I always knew you needed to grab the back legs, I just didn't know what to do once the back legs were in your hands, whether you pull or just hold them there.

I saw a show once where I could've sworn I saw people pulling so I assumed thats the way you did it. Thank God I've never had to do it, otherwise I would've hurt the dogs. :S

I don't know about the pulling of the back legs - but my dad used to always lift his greyhounds back legs higher than their heads and they would instantly drop whatever they were on.

Oh right! I thought you needed to pull? Lucky I have never been in THAT situation! Would've turned out a disaster! lol

So you just lift the legs up higher? I always knew you needed to grab the back legs, I just didn't know what to do once the back legs were in your hands, whether you pull or just hold them there.

I saw a show once where I could've sworn I saw people pulling so I assumed thats the way you did it. Thank God I've never had to do it, otherwise I would've hurt the dogs. :S

Learn something new everyday right :D

At least you do know what to do now in case of an emergency.

Hi everyone,

Jake my dog is okay, he was okay 10 minutes after the incidence however my hand is not holding up very well i have a massive bruise that hurts with 2 puncture wounds.

good idea to take photos and contact the local council for that area, it is not my local council but is my brothers local council. i agree if that dog gets a hold of a much smaller dog or a child holding a dog and the child intervenes like i tried to do it could spell disaster.

i think you may have gotten confused with my avatar which has small dogs in it as i am a breeder and exhibitor of chihuahuas since 1985 I am no stranger to breeds of dogs having sat on committees of all breeds clubs for the last 25 years and our family started with training dogs at obedience clubs as well as training greyhounds (grandfather and father). so we have a bit of history. i was just interested to see others point of view at what this older lady said in the park. me, personally i wouldn't like to try the grabbing a strange dogs legs eventhough many tell me on here you are at a clear advantage, just my thoughts.

he attack and biting of course she feeling negative on the aggressive dog is natural for this after scary incident and biting her and her dog?

Joe

no i agree its not the dogs fault its the owners responbility. i thought at the time maybe it was their first time letting their dog roam free in a dog park as they really looked shocked at what happened, my brother goes there once every weekend and has never seen them there so maybe they have learnt their lesson, we hope! i doubt it too but we can hope.

after this it has really tainted my view on going to dog parks as someone said, not every owner is responsible unfortunately it hasn't fazed Jake though he is still the happy go lucky boy so thats okay.

what i meant was i am still not sure the dog may have had some pitt in her.him as well as maybe staff not sure of the sex either, too busy trying to get my dog away and getting bitten in the process. I just think that BYB's mainly cross these sorts of breeds without knowing the full history of them and then sell them to people that don't properly manage them. dangerous combination JMHO and no it hasn't made my opinion negative of those breeds at all, i know of a chihuahua lady that houses a pittbull with her little ones as well as knowing a now judge of staffies and hanging out with her dogs who were like babies, they were absolutely gorgeous dogs.

so no i don't blame the dog more the owner. it was also very timid and you are right, not suited to a dog park at all.

cheers

TOY DOG

Brighton Dog Beach is great if you go there before 8am - barely a soul there and you often have the beach to yourself if you go before 7am. Just watch out for the guy with the GSD that goes early some mornings - he has no control over his dog and swears if you ask him to recall it. If I ever see him I leave.

Another good option is St Kilda West beach. It isn't fully fenced so the dogs there tend to have better recalls.

sorry ETA: think i'll opt for exercising my dog at KCC park in the big paddock much much safer. although i was exercising my boy there a few weeks ago and it is clearly marked "if yard being used do not enter" so what does this lady do, goes in there and her dog playfully comes up to Jake, Jake did nothing but sniff her.

now that could have gone pear shaped if my dog didn't want other dogs coming up to him thats why they have "if in use do not enter" i don't think the lady could read. a bit peeved off.

i felt sorry for the dog, her poor dog could get bitten by the owners irresponsible attitude. she was lucky it was just Jake.

Brighton Dog Beach is great if you go there before 8am - barely a soul there and you often have the beach to yourself if you go before 7am. Just watch out for the guy with the GSD that goes early some mornings - he has no control over his dog and swears if you ask him to recall it. If I ever see him I leave.

Another good option is St Kilda West beach. It isn't fully fenced so the dogs there tend to have better recalls.

how about st kilda pier? been there a few times Jake loves the water, its apparently a dog beach. haven't had any problems here so far but we haven't been since summer. bit chilly at the moment though for the beach?? brrrrrrr it was 2 degrees this morning at 5am! and it is only 12 degrees today at this time.

another good place we found although my brother likes places where there are plenty of dog socialisation, I don't after this unfortunate situation anymore now, is Ballam Park in Frankston. Huge huge park where you go for a long walk with the dog. not many dogs here late in the afternoon. not as many as Brighton anyway.

Edited by toy dog

Jake my dog is okay, he was okay 10 minutes after the incidence however my hand is not holding up very well i have a massive bruise that hurts with 2 puncture wounds.

So glad that Jake is OK and hope your hand is better soon :)

Pele, my 6yo Bull Terrier was attacked by 2 staffy X's 3 weeks ago. The smaller one slipped out of it's slip chain and came racing at her then got stuck into her :( Next thing the larger one is loose and has her by the neck :eek: It all happened so quickly. I assume that the guy handed the larger dog's lead to his partner who was pushing a pusher and it pulled loose. I pulled the smaller staffy X off by the hind legs and screamed to the girl to grab the hind legs of the other one and lift them off the ground. The guy had it in a head lock and was punching it. Luckily it then let go and no humans were bitten. Pele had some very deep puncture wounds (luckily no chunks ripped out) and was badly shaken. The guy was very upset and paid Pele's vet bill and a trip to the chiro. Yes, it could have been a lot worse.

Pele's attack wasn't from any one being irresponsible, it was just an unfortunate accident. Hopefully the guy has learned his lesson and gets a better fitting collar for the smaller staffy and maybe muzzles the dogs.

Grabbing the hind legs and lifting them off the ground so there was no traction worked without anyone getting bitten in this case.

So glad that Jake is OK and hope your hand is better soon :)

Pele, my 6yo Bull Terrier was attacked by 2 staffy X's 3 weeks ago. The smaller one slipped out of it's slip chain and came racing at her then got stuck into her :( Next thing the larger one is loose and has her by the neck :eek: It all happened so quickly. I assume that the guy handed the larger dog's lead to his partner who was pushing a pusher and it pulled loose. I pulled the smaller staffy X off by the hind legs and screamed to the girl to grab the hind legs of the other one and lift them off the ground. The guy had it in a head lock and was punching it. Luckily it then let go and no humans were bitten. Pele had some very deep puncture wounds (luckily no chunks ripped out) and was badly shaken. The guy was very upset and paid Pele's vet bill and a trip to the chiro. Yes, it could have been a lot worse.

Pele's attack wasn't from any one being irresponsible, it was just an unfortunate accident. Hopefully the guy has learned his lesson and gets a better fitting collar for the smaller staffy and maybe muzzles the dogs.

Grabbing the hind legs and lifting them off the ground so there was no traction worked without anyone getting bitten in this case.

So sorry about what happened to Pele :hug: BUT, can I just say... it is so nice to hear of someone offering to pay the vet bill and a trip to the chiro. Not a lot of people would do that - and to see that he has taken responsibility is GREAT news. Really great.

Again, hope Pele is ok now and isn't traumatised by the experience!