Myer Withdraws Dog Fur Clothes Made In China

samoyedman

Shouldnt wear fur no matter what animal it comes from :mad its so cruel how they do it ive seen the video i couldnt watch it all made me :cry: yet i was so angry and i just wanted to go over there and kill them. Humans can be so cruel its disgusting :mad

Oh and on another note... why does myer have the right to sell something from china for $300 :confused: seems a bit of a rip off to me.

They did a segment on faux furs on The Circle the other morning... I have a couple of jackets with faux fur on them and they definitely aren't real... they feel acrylic and have mesh backing.

If you like the look of fur on jackets buy a regular jacket and sew fur on yourself... you can get guaranteed faux furs from fabric stores, you can always tell by the backing.

I don't know if the Chinese kill dogs for their fur, perhaps the fur is from dogs slaughtered primarily for meat.

I'm afraid they are skinned alive first, apparently it gives a better cut. The video from the early 2000s shows the barbarity involved. Yes I did watch it all to ensure I would never be tempted by fur products. I banned my wife from watching it as it is so gruesome, nightmares would have been the result.

Yes sometimes dogs are skinned alive, like you say they believe the meat tastes better if the animal is is tortured before death. The Racoon Dog, amongst other animals are killed primarily for their fur, but I am not convinced that domestic dogs are killed for their fur even though it may be on sold.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/hackles-rise-over-dog-fur-claims-at-myer/story-e6freuy9-1226055012158

DEPARTMENT giant Myer has pulled a line of clothing from its racks after claims the garments contain dog fur.

An investigation by animal welfare group Humane Society International says clothes made in China from dog fur are for sale in major Australian stores.

HSI, which said the retailers included Myer and national chain Wittner Shoes, commissioned tests on vests bought in February when stores were showing their new winter clothes. They claim those tests revealed the clothes, featuring fur labelled as rabbit, were partly made from dog fur.

Myer yesterday confirmed it had withdrawn the items from sale to allow independent testing.

"Myer was very concerned to learn of the possibility of a product in our store containing dog fur," a spokeswoman said.

"The product in question was quickly removed from shelves to allow for independent testing to verify the origin of the fur.

"We are working closely with the Humane Society International and the supplier to understand the content of the garment."

HSI director Verna Simpson said customers were unwittingly wearing clothing made from dog fur.

"We believe people would be horrified to know what they are actually wearing," she said.

"Hundreds of vests have been sold, and they are not cheap at around $300, even though dog is used as a cheap substitute for other animals.

"They are either being used in clothes which are called something else, like rabbit, or they are hidden behind names such as Gae-wolf, Sobaki, Raccoon and Asian Jackal."

Ms Simpson said HSI had used "two top mammalian experts" to test the vests.

However Wittner Shoes CEO Michael Wittner yesterday claimed the allegations were "false and mischievious".

He said leading Australian forensic science expert Dr James Robertson had "found no evidence of dog in our vests."

Mr Wittner said the vests had been the first products they had bought from the supplier.

HSI claimed Wittners had new vests tested, not the original clothes it had had checked.

Ms Simpson said the vests were made in China, where HSI had exposed horrific "dog factories."

"The way the dogs are treated in these factories is horrific," she said.

"We witnessed dogs being skinned while alive, dogs squashed into tiny cages and it's obvious people's beloved pets are being stolen for the trade in their skins.

"We saw dogs with collars with little hearts on the collars and their poor owners must have wondered what happened to their beloved dog."

Ms Simpson said HSI believed Australian Customs needed to more thoroughly investigate fur products entering Australia.

And cats too. What grubs.