Dog Breed Dna Profile

Sallyy

Hi all,

We have an American Staffy & we would like to get a DNA profile done on him.. Purely out of curiousity as he is desexed & we arent breeding from him obviously

Ive read a few websites & it seems a lot of the DNA profiling done is more for Breeders ect & doesnt accutally give you a list of what breeds are found

I saw one site called Bitza (or similar) & they seemed to specialize in giving you a list of Breeds found in your dogs DNA profile

Just wondering how accurate this is, as it was over $150..

Is there a cheap, well know, reliable, accurate place to get this test done?? Is it even possible or just a money maker?

Hi all,

We have an American Staffy & we would like to get a DNA profile done on him.. Purely out of curiousity as he is desexed & we arent breeding from him obviously

Ive read a few websites & it seems a lot of the DNA profiling done is more for Breeders ect & doesnt accutally give you a list of what breeds are found

I saw one site called Bitza (or similar) & they seemed to specialize in giving you a list of Breeds found in your dogs DNA profile

Just wondering how accurate this is, as it was over $150..

Is there a cheap, well know, reliable, accurate place to get this test done?? Is it even possible or just a money maker?

Based on results given by members here, I'd categorise the Bitza test as a total waste of money.

If you know he's purebred (do you have papers?), why do you want to DNA test him? :confused:

Or are you talking about DNA based health testing for inheritable conditions?

Am confused.

He is an American Staffordshire Terrier and you have papers to prove it yet you still want to check if he is an American Staffordshire Terrier?

or

He is a dog which you think is an American Staffordshire Terrier but you don't have papers to prove it and you want proof that he is an American Staffordshire Terrier?

The Bitza test isn't reliable. People on here have got really weird results from it.

I understand that if you send a sample from an Amstaff you are likely to get a result saying it is an Amstaff OR an APBT.

If you have papers and wish to prove he is really of that pedigree then the quickest and easiest method would be to have his sire and dam DNA profiled then you can get him profiled to prove he is the progeny of those two parents.

ETA: never thought about the DNA tests for genetic diseases they add extra issues :laugh:

Edited by Sandra777

Hi, no we dont have papers for him unfortunatly as we had never intended to breed him, we bought him from a friend who had a AmStaff & a Stafford.. so he is a cross.

But we always think he has some diffrent breeds in him.. would like to know out of curiousity..

There is no such test?

I heard recently at the RSPCA million paws walk that a breed profile can be done which will show you a history of breeds in your dogs dna

This is what I'd like to find out, we have a feeling he has Bull Terrier ect in him but are unsure

Someone at obedience had a breed profile done for their dog. They got told it was primarily a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. This dog looks like a border collie and there is no way has any staffy in it. Personally I think they're a waste of money.

Plus as Staranais said, they don't have all the breeds on the profile. My purebred lappie would come back as a cross because they wouldn't have the breed on the profile.

Edited by whiskedaway

The only use I've seen for those tests are to protect dogs against BSL by showing your city council that your dog is an amstaff or staff-x and not a pitbull (of course, that only works so long as the council doesn't realise that "pitbull" isn't even an option on the test). :laugh: Can't remember who said they used that trick, think it was someone on this forum though?

Hi, no we dont have papers for him unfortunatly as we had never intended to breed him, we bought him from a friend who had a AmStaff & a Stafford.. so he is a cross.

But we always think he has some diffrent breeds in him.. would like to know out of curiousity..

There is no such test?

Oh, OK when you said he was an American Staffy I assumed he actually was something like one, not a known crossbred.

Yes there is the Bitza test but it really isn't all that great. Unless you need really need to know (like for the council) I wouldn't bother with it and would go with posting a picture here instead too :)

I suggest you try the DOL breed test - post a pic of him and members will have a guess - its as reliable as any other method I know ;)

When I tried that, I got some rather strange responses. Before it got nuked, that is. When I wanted to check the replies the next morning, it had mysteriously vanished.