Maitland Nsw Dolers.

esky

I live in Maitland Council area. I wasn't aware there was a limit. It certainly isn't enforced. I have more than one neighbour with more than 2 dogs. If your dogs aren't bothering anyone, I think you should be right. I have found the council ok to deal with.

Thanks for all your replies so far - very much appreciated.

At the moment I am in NSW & all my dogs are registered with the local council. It is a dilemna, as I know I won't have that many for long as only one is 5 yrs old - the rest are between 9 & 12yrs. I am hoping they will be with me for a long time but realistically I know I will not have that many in a few years time :(

I would not move anywhere without them & am not a risk taker either.

Your dogs are not registered with the local council if you live in NSW. :banghead: You may have submitted the papers at the council but they are all registered with the state, not the council as no council has a register anymore. Check their registration papers and you will find that they are on the NSW Govt Companion Animals Register and this is where you need to do the change of address. The councils can set a number limit that they can enforce only if they receive complaints, otherwise you are free to have as many as you want so long as they are state registered, correctly cared for and the neighbours don't complain.

You still change the microchip address with the local Council. Local Councils administer the database in NSW and are the only ones who can access the databse to edit and change detail. The Department of Local Government (a State Government Department) develops and implements the policies and laws. Local Councils then enforce them.

Any council can access and change the details. You can go to your current council and change the address to the one you are moving to or go to any agent like Renbury Farm that have the contract to run the pounds for three different councils. They are not a council office but can process the registrations and do changes of details. If you don't want to go to your own council you don't have to.

Edited by dancinbcs

Yes, you can change address with any Council. You can't change it through the DLG though which is what I was conveying.

I am not sure about Renbury, as a private org, being able to change the database but I'll take your word for it. The last I heard, not even the RSCPA had access to change and add details.

What a gorgeous area to be moving to!!! I love Morpeth

If they are not a nuisance and don't make loads of noise then don't worry yourself too much.

Gosford Council was trying something similar but they can't override the CAA

:( it says only 2 cats as well. I had been looking at moving there at one stage and had no idea.

seems odd and confusing that they would make these rules if they can't enforce them.

Ive got 3 in the Maitland coucil area and we have never been pulled up. We also had an electric fence which was a 4 sided fenced area within in acre, with the bright yellow electric fence sign and never got pulled up. The council dont seem too strict on enforcing the rules unless there has been a complaint. You should be fine.

Thank you all so much for your replies.

At this stage, everything's on hold till finance etc can be worked out(had a few hiccups due to varying advice from mortgage brokers)but at least it looks like the dog issue wouldn't be a problem :thumbsup:

Once again, it is great to have a forum where you can get lots of good feedback & advice when desperately needed.