Hives

Yesterday when we let my dog into the house, her head was swollen and covered in bites. They were all down her back legs also and along her sides. She was rubbing everywhere. Our other dog who came inside at the same time had no bites anywhere

For the past three weeks we have had a tree down in the back yard. She plays underneath it so at first we thought she had been bitten by something under there, but surely it would have come up before then?

Last night she was let inside after being in her kennel for a while and the bites had come back. This morning she had a few but not as many as yesterday. I'd sprayed Mortein in the kennel last night before letting her go to bed.

Diet hasnt changed, theres no wandering dew or anything.. only thing i can think of is mozzies, or a spiders or something but she acts perfectly normal (aside from itching)

The bedding is getting an airing out in the hopes we can find whatever it is... What types of anti histamines are we allowed to give to dogs?

The vets werent concerned, as the lumps went down within 10 minutes of her being inside... So she's off on thursday for other issues and will get this looked at if it continues. Any suggestions to possibilities would be great.

:cry: ..The vets weren't concerned??No, I guess THEY weren't the ones itching and in pain from swollen tissues!!

being an allergic person, I can sympathise with your dog!!

Get some antihistamines from the vet, and keep them handy..could be a bite/sting, but could be anything else too !

I had the same thing happen to my old horse. I know tis is about dogs but it is very similar. He had an alergic reaction to some grass and everything became swollen and the vet came out and gave him an antihistameine injection and it worked great. I would be concerned if your dog gets swollen around ther throat area because it can impair their breathing.

I had a batch of hives from cheap nasty bread that had some weird type of flour used it in. It was awful. I got some antihistamine and it went away. I hope your dog gets better.

I have had my dog's face swell up from a bee sting on her lip. The vet offered me an antihistamine injection which was going to cost a bomb. I said "pity I can't just give her a polaramine." "well you can - said the vet." So, we saved the money and went home and gave her one and she was fine.

I was told that phenergan and polaramine are fine for dogs - give them the dose that they would have at that weight for a human. My dog is 50kg so she just got a normal adult dose. They will also make her a bit sleepy - as for humans - but this may be good if she's upset about the itching.

I think the vet said that any of the human antihistamines that do make you drowsy are fine but he said to steer clear of the non-drowsy ones like claratyne, zyrtec and telfast as he wasn't sure about them.

Children's polaramine syrup is best - and the dogs will eat it as it tastes good too.

hi vizsla girl...

Remember me? Leela woke up with hives on the same day...

She has just been to the vet coz they are still there after two days. The vet said it could've been a bite, or an inhalation reaction... remmeber someone else came on line and said they'd seen 6 other dogs with reactions like that on that same day, so maybe it was some sort of plant/pollen that was out around then, or maybe an insect went on a rampage...

Anyway she's had an injection & I've got tablets, I asked for extra incase it happens again.

If you see your dog having trouble breathing, I'd rush to the vets (which I'm sure u would anyway :eek: )

Swollen head and hives is how I know that Ollie has been stung by a bee...

Once the hives are up, we have 10-20 minutes to get him to the vet as he is allergic to bees and anaphylactic (spelling??) shock... We nearly lost him the first time...

I suppose if your vet is not concerned, maybe it is OK... But I would be wanting an explanation if it were my dog.

I am glad she is feeling better...

Cheers

Jodie

:eek: thanks! Will go off to the chemist tonight. My dog only weighs about 20kg.... So she wouldnt need all that much?

Please, please don't do this without checking with your vet that this medication and the dosage is correct for your dog's condition.

The medication and dosage mentioned in the thread were given to another dog for a completely unrelated condition. Just because it worked for them does not mean it is appropriate for your dog.

You wouldn't give your kids a shot of epi for asthma because someone who can't breathe due to a peanut allergy said that it worked for them and made their condition better.