Greyhound With Flakey Skin

Can anyone offer any advice on what to do / give a greyhound that has flakey skin, looks for all the world like she has dandruff. She had it when i got her from Musswellbrook pound, she has been in for a professional wash, but its still there. I have been putting fish old capsules in her dinner, but is there something else i can do. Its not red or sore or anything, just has that dandruff appearance. Any advice welcome.

Kazza :confused:

What are you feeding? It could be due to the food she has previously received so it might just take a bit of time to settle down.

Sardines ... or maybe something like Omega 3/6 supplements (normally sold as a pump pack of liquid added to food) might help.

Edited by Tilly

Our grey was like that when we got her too. Change of diet and regular grooming and it is nearly gone and she has been with us for 5 weeks (plus a few weeks in foster care).

my current foster girl had a bit of flakey dandruff when she came here, but it has cleared up all on its own, usually a good diet helps, or sometimes I give them some sardines as well. Havent tried fish oil capsules but the sardines seem to work and the Woolies home brand ones are really cheap :)

Put them on a premium dry and raw meaty bones. You can add an omega 3/6/9 oil such as Performa3. Mackeral in tins is also an oily fish that will help.

Buy a soft rubber curry comb and go over the dog for a couple of minutes a day, you can also use your hands to strip out any old coat and this will also promote healthy skin and coat.

You will probably notice in a few weeks, that the dog will get a sort of scummy film on the skin and coat, the big flakes will have gone. It sometimes looks a bit grey and oily, this is the start of things heading in the right direction and the oils coming through. Give the dog a bath in a quality shampoo. Once the skin gets to that point, it generally balances out and there should be minimal bathing required after that.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Looks like a slight change of diet and some fish is on the cards. I give her a rub all over daily (which she loves) and this seems to settle it a bit. :)

Just one other thought...

Does your girl have a coat on all day and night ??? The reason I ask, is because my 4 Basenjis, wear their coats all through winter, (day and night, and sometimes 2 coats each), and depending on the Tassie weather, sometimes other times too ;) ... I was getting heaps of dandruff on all of them... Finally after much trial and error, coats are off much more, and the dandruff is gone :thumbsup: ...

Any dog we pulled from the pound always had dry skin with some dandruff and mild itching, some Aloveen which is suited to this condition and Omegas in the diet usually has them come good!

A good balanced diet of course :)

Edited by MEH

It should clear up with a good diet and maybe some sardines on her food. I find it really common in my foster greys especially ones from the pound. Who knows what she was or wasnt feed before you rescued her!!