The Sneaky Gatherer

My partner sat at his desk one morning to find around a dozen large pebbles gathered under his desk. As we don't have kids/ other pets and I don't sleepwalk and gather pebbles in my sleep, :rofl: we believe its our 3 month old puppy.

We've only seen him play with them and pick them up gently once or twice with his mouth but not take them anywhere when we're around...amused as we are, I know its dangerous and its a possiblitiy he could swallow one (though they are pretty huge pebbles).

Any help with training him to leave them alone? Would we have to catch him in the act? Anyone experienced similar "gathering" behaviours" from their dog? :D

Hi, its not small rocks, but Duke, my irish terrier - collects crockery. Also, at times the cutlery which seems to wind up in 'heaps' around the place.

its why i don't have a lot of sharp knives anymore, and plastic picnic ware for crockery - it bounces.

he's also been known to collect all rugs and doonas and pillows to make a comfy 'nest' for himself!

not to mention my shoes - if i cant find one of a pair, i put the one i have on top of the TV. its missing mate is always found in front of the TV when i get home!

it sounds as though your puppy is a bit of a character too!

I spent a few months 'discussing' the doona business,and for the most part, that is now left on the bed (or on the floor next to the bed. its better than Duke taking it out the doggy door - changing his mind, and bringing it back in again - via the doggy door. Takes him ages)

ChristineX

My partner sat at his desk one morning to find around a dozen large pebbles gathered under his desk. As we don't have kids/ other pets and I don't sleepwalk and gather pebbles in my sleep, :rofl: we believe its our 3 month old puppy.

We've only seen him play with them and pick them up gently once or twice with his mouth but not take them anywhere when we're around...amused as we are, I know its dangerous and its a possiblitiy he could swallow one (though they are pretty huge pebbles).

Any help with training him to leave them alone? Would we have to catch him in the act? Anyone experienced similar "gathering" behaviours" from their dog? :D

I'm hoping to benefit from any advice you receive ;)

I have a Snail Collector. He is very sneaky. I find little piles of bodies...denuded of their shells :eek:

not to mention my shoes - if i cant find one of a pair, i put the one i have on top of the TV. its missing mate is always found in front of the TV when i get home!

That's hilarious

My neighbour's dog likes to pile up all her toys next to the bit of fence where my dog and her can touch noses under. Like gifts for my dog. That she can't quite reach. And aren't quiet good for her (eg lamb roast bones, and the giant rawhides).

My dog will bring me a "shoe", and if I'm not paying attention she considers it fair game for chewing. But she's happy to hand it over if I am paying attention. Socks are not so lucky. I try to keep the door shut.

She doesn't have a place she gathers things for me though.

Wow, sems this is a bowerbird kind of mentality some dogs feel inclined to do.

Well we caught the pup last night...he would wait on a stepping stone, sniff around and then gingerly grab a chosen pebble and take it into the house. Then come back out on the stepping stone and repeat. Lol.

Going to try and start some obedience training to "leave it!"

I have a Snail Collector. He is very sneaky. I find little piles of bodies...denuded of their shells :eek:

Does he eat the snails?! I thought they were poisonous, though I wouldn't be surprised if a canine's acidic digestive system is able to cope. :p

Hi, its not small rocks, but Duke, my irish terrier - collects crockery. Also, at times the cutlery which seems to wind up in 'heaps' around the place.

I am curious as to how the dog has access to cutlery/crockery?

re: stone gathering .... perhaps have heaps of tennis or other balls around that your pup can collect? And some interactive toys .. like the old soft drink/water bottle ...containing a handful of his kibble ............... plus a BIG meaty bone to chew on

I might also try spraying the pebbles near stepping stones with a chili solution , or some vinegar (undiluted) ...

Edited by persephone

Wow, sems this is a bowerbird kind of mentality some dogs feel inclined to do.

Well we caught the pup last night...he would wait on a stepping stone, sniff around and then gingerly grab a chosen pebble and take it into the house. Then come back out on the stepping stone and repeat. Lol.

Going to try and start some obedience training to "leave it!"

Does he eat the snails?! I thought they were poisonous, though I wouldn't be surprised if a canine's acidic digestive system is able to cope. :p

Apparently the shells are the best bit. I don't think snails are poisonous but could carry disease? I'm not letting him know that the French eat them with garlic butter :laugh:

Edited by trinabean

My dog goes and gets every one of my shoes that are left lying about and puts them on my bed in the morning until I get up and taker her for a walk.

She has me well trained :laugh:

Smart girl, I bet she brags to the other dogs about how obedient you are :laugh:

hi Persephone, i've a chronic mouse problem - old house, floorboards with air under etc. The mice own all but one kitchen cupboard - so all food is in that one cupboard. There is less 'mouse stuff' to wash off if the dishes etc are not in the cupboards. And Duke can jump - reaches the nose of people 6ft and over with ridiculous ease (he has been trained out of that, fortunately). if it wasn't for the head issues, he would have made an amazing agility dog.

yes, he has access to the house when i am out - he is my security system (he does well at it too, just ask the prowlers he has run off), he has even been complimented by the police on his home guarding abilities.

I've almost enough spare cash to rebuild the house which will be on a concrete pad with cupboards that have all walls and floors and no holes at the edges of the floorboards!! (can't wait :D )

ChristineX