Retrieving Ability Test - Novice

Hi. There is a local retrieving ability test soon so I am thinking of entering - it is in Victoria. Had a practice run at a fun day but I would love to see a test on youtube so I know what a trial run should look like because I haven't seen a trial. Jumping in the deep end LOL.

Edited by helen

Helen - there is another practice day coming up on the 24th July if that helps at all. I don't know of any video links of trials but I did watch the recent Lab trial and I think Geelong will have the same judge. Anything particular you want to know?

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Hi spotted devil. I will be the one wondering around with the old Brittany who has no idea what they are doing LOL

I am pretty good on the obedience side of things, but the retrieving no so much

I need to get a dummy and quick. Bella is not a fan and I don't know what the requirements are for a dummy so I need the softest possible one and the smallest possible one, any idea where it get one quickly?

Also what dummy is the best color for green grass?

And one more question for now until I think of more, when the dog comes back from retrieving the article, do you need to wait for the judge to tell you to take the dummy or do you just take it from the dog without waiting?

Some of the obedience and agility trials at Geelong they have the dogs enter the ring in breed order alphabetically, so if they do this for the retrieving trial I will most likely be first in so can't watch in advance to see what will be happening :eek: Oh, well, will all be experience to train up my next one, maybe Chazer

ps - I am just so excited that Geelong have decided to hold a trial

Just found the info for the trial which states: Trial held on dummies, water may be used. Competitors bring own dummies for approval to check in. Dummies to be in a clear plastic bag with handlers name. Dummies must be of a subdued colour & comply with rule 8.6 of the RATG rules. Novice competitors require 2 dummies

Water is good :) just have to sort out this dummy thing as soon as I can - when it says 2 dummies do they have to be different?

Edited by helen

Helen - I will PM you my phone number as there is a bit to cover! Will take too long to type :laugh: Happy to chat over the weekend :)

Thanks heaps, didn't know what I was getting myself in for when I decided to enter LOL