Moving House With An Old Dog

Hi Fellow Dog Lovers,

I have a massive worry with my old dog Lucy and our planned relocation to Bathurst. We currently live in Sydney's west, but through a work relocation I've been lucky enough to secure a dream job in the country. Its a great move for us, we have horses and will be able to buy acreage.

Having said that, my old dog Lucy is my only really big worry in all of this. I've had her for 18 months, she was a stray that no one came forward to claim. Terrible health issues, which has ended up with diabetes which we treat twice a day with insulin. Since the diabetes she is pretty much completely blind. She was deaf when I got her through years of ear infections, so basically she uses her nose to get around. This is fine in our own place, but when we went away on the weekend and my most trusted friend took care of her in her house, Lucy really stressed. She often bumps into things around our house, but it doesn't really seem to phase her. In a strange place, she obviously would feel very insecure. She had been to this place before and had settled well, but this time was not happy.

My friend said I may have to consider having her put down due to the stress of the move. I've known this has been potentially coming for some time, but I cant bring myself to do it until I know for certain she is not enjoying life anymore. I do know a move will stress her, but would take every precaution to try and make the transition as easy as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to manage this situation? I plan on going to the vet and seeing if they can provide some sedative medication for the first few days, that won't interact with her insulin. I'm thinking a small space initially at the new place so she can get her bearings. Apart from that, I'm lost :)

Thanks for any help!

Christie

How long til you move?

if you have some time .. a week or more .. maybe try this?

using scented oils ... like diluted lavender/vanilla/peppermint...

mark out trails (use a spray bottle ..and just a small puff every metre or so at first ) along routes she normally uses to go outside.. find her toilet spot .. find her bed , etc. .

Associate the vanilla one with her food/bed/your couch, maybe .. so in her brain, vanilla = comforting things ;)

Then... before she goes to the new place .. have your trails marked out .. try & have furniture in a similar arrangement to home ...and make sure she has no nasty steps/ditches which may jump out at her ! :) Also dig up a bucketful of soil from where she toilets .. and dump where her new toilet spot is to be ;) This way she will scent the familiar.

You may want to invest in a D A P diffuser, too :) This is a plugin. like an air freshener, which releases a pheremone into the air .This pheremone say "hey.. chill.. it's OK" :) Ask at the vets...or buy online.

I would suggest you avoid any medications...as these may interfere with her limited ability to navigate her new home.

I do hope it all goes well :)

Edited by persephone

Some things that might help are:

Try to arrange things that Lucy is used to in the new house, in a similar pattern. Walk lucy around the room/house on leash and let lucy take her time sniffing and walking and learning. If you see she is about to bump into something or go the wrong way a gentle tug will help guide her until she learns. The leash will let her know you're there and give her a little more confidence to explore. Feed her in the same spot, go in and out the same way--keep things on a little more rigid pattern than you would with a sighted dog and soon your dog will get around almost as well as if she could see.

This site might be useful to you as well blinddogs

Hope this helps lucy and you :)

I also have an old girl who is virtually blind. Thank goodness she can still hear. But I feel your dread, as I feel the same with my girl and worry that we might need to move and she would cope. :(

But if you are there she will be much better and will calm much more quickly, I think what your friend experienced was probably more about the stress of being away from you than being in that environment. I also love the ideas of using specific scents before you move to help her find her way about after you move - I've heard of that a lot of times and am at the point of thinking of implementing it myself just to help my old girl get about a bit more easily. DAP is also apparently very good - haven't used it but have only heard good things (and agree that it is probably better than using a drug that may make her a bit more disoriented).

The website above is great, when my girl started losing her vision first time I was on there daily looking things up to try and make her life easier.

For now worry only about preparing her for her move, after you have moved take it as it comes. She will adapt. If she is in otherwise good health then I don't think you need to worry about her, if you are there she will have everything she wants and needs!!!

Please let us know how you go with it all!!

And give her a cuddle from me and Emma (my blind dog!!). :hug: - I have a bit of a soft spot for special needs doggies!!

I moved last year with our 16yo Lhasa Apso. She wasn't blind although I don't think her eyesight was all that sharp. She coped really well, I was very "matter of fact" about the move, it was basically......hop in the car, OK we're here, this is your new home, here's your bed and your bowl.......and she was absolutely fine. She died of old age earlier this year but that would have happened no matter where we lived, and she really appeared to enjoy her time at the new property. She loved walking around checking things out with me, feeding the chooks, doing the gardening etc.

Thanks very much everyone. I think you are right in that she was without me and her Dad and feeling very lost.

When we went to collect her she threw herself at me and whimpered. It was very sad, but I know she was just very relieved to see us.

I've not thought about the scent ideas, I'll definitely do some research on that.

I have used a diffuser with my stressy cat in the past and that has worked well. So I know they do work.

I agree about the medication issue. She needs all the senses she has, she's limited enough.

Thanks guys, you've made me feel like there is hope in all this, and thats exactly what I needed :)

Christie

There is a yahoo group for blind dogs...

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/blinddogs/

American, but I'm thinking that blind dogs probably work the same all the world round!!!

Glad you're feeling happier about everything. I think that's one of the pitfalls of a special needs dog - the ups and downs. But something I read today that made me have a bit of a moment From one of those blind dog websites) - blind dogs see even more with their hearts. :)