Help With Puppys Collar!

bossyboo

Hi All

My mum has recently adopted a little Tibetan Spaniel female puppy. She is a lovely girl. But she seems to get really depressed when she has her collar on. She basically stops playing and seems to sit and sulk. Mum thought she was sick! But when you take the collar off her she is happy and playful again! Mum already has tried 2 collars on her and she does it with both.. I told her just to leave it and she will get use to it. Any Suggestions? :)

Hi All

My mum has recently adopted a little Tibetan Spaniel female puppy. She is a lovely girl. But she seems to get really depressed when she has her collar on. She basically stops playing and seems to sit and sulk. Mum thought she was sick! But when you take the collar off her she is happy and playful again! Mum already has tried 2 collars on her and she does it with both.. I told her just to leave it and she will get use to it. Any Suggestions? :)

What you said. Put it on and leave it on. I assume its fitted correctly?

Edited by poodlefan

yep- leave collar on .. feed pup- or give her some special treats or a nice bone .. and ignore her! If your mum fusses over her when she looks like that - or goes & takes the collar off - she is reinforcing the behaviour ;) Just leave it on ..... take it off when puppy is sleeping

we start putting collars on our babies at around 6 weeks and leave them on even over night, got a few tips in my website about lead training if you want to take a quick look.

sounds like a smart puppy :laugh:

Try to associate collar means something fun.. like going for a walk, or park time or something that you know that she will find fun.

My 2 are often collar less at home, but as soon as I get their collars out.. they know we're going for a trip and get all happy about it. They can't wait for me to put their collars on them.