Colours In Litter ?

Tenties

Hi All,

Would like everyone's opinion on this, i know the answer but it seem's my opinion doesnt count..... :(

Can a Tri Colour Dog Sire Tan & White puppies in a Litter ?? ( Dam is also a Tri ) also, if any Dentition proplem's show up is it or is it not true that BOTH the parents must carry the gene for it to show up ???

Go for it people... :D

Edited by Tenties

Can a Tri Colour Dog Sire Tan & White puppies in a Litter

If bred to a tan & white bitch - yes...tricolour x tricolour will only ever give tricolours.

if any Dentition proplem's show up is it or is it not true that BOTH the parents must carry the gene for it to show up

Missing teeth and bad bites can pop up out of nowhere from time to time.

I know with basenji's if you breed a red&white dog and Red & white bitch together it is posible to get tri puppies IF the parents have tri behind them.

Doesnt happen often but is possible.

If bred to a tan & white bitch - yes...tricolour x tricolour will only ever give tricolours.

if any Dentition proplem's show up is it or is it not true that BOTH the parents must carry the gene for it to show up

Thank's Aziah, i forgot to say that the Dam is a Tri also ;) will correct it now.

I know with basenji's if you breed a red&white dog and Red & white bitch together it is posible to get tri puppies IF the parents have tri behind them.

Doesnt happen often but is possible.

Yes, red & white (carrying tri) x red & white (carrying tri) in theory will give you 75% red & white and 25% tricolour offspring.

:)

However if you have a true for red bitch (who does not carry tri) then you won't get tri offpsring (just red & white offspring all carrying the tri gene).

Thank's Aziah, i forgot to say that the Dam is a Tri also ;) will correct it now.

Well then no...not in my breed anyway.

Edited by Aziah

also, if any Dentition proplem's show up is it or is it not true that BOTH the parents must carry the gene for it to show up ???

At the recent Pat Hastings seminar, Pat said that puppies can inherit the top jaw from one parent and the bottom from another. She also said that each tooth has it's own gene.

Hi All,

Would like everyone's opinion on this, i know the answer but it seem's my opinion doesnt count..... :(

Can a Tri Colour Dog Sire Tan & White puppies in a Litter ?? ( Dam is also a Tri )

YES but only if both parents carry the recessive "e" gene. Puppies will be genetically tricolour but phenotypically red/tan/cream as black coat pigment cannot be expressed.

e_e reds can occur in Cardigan Welsh Corgis, Border Collies, and are the standard colour in Labrador Retrievers/Golden Retrievers and certain other breeds.

e_e red puppies are born clear red and will never have any black in their coat. Most "normal" red puppies have an overlay of darker coat at birth which clears to red or tan with the adult coat. Thus e_e red pups must be identified at birth by the absence of any black in their coat.

e_e red dogs also tend to have paled out nose leather at maturity - not black.

Hi All,

Can a Tri Colour Dog Sire Tan & White puppies in a Litter ?? ( Dam is also a Tri )

YES but only if both parents carry the recessive "e" gene. Puppies will be genetically tricolour but phenotypically red/tan/cream as black coat pigment cannot be expressed.

e_e reds can occur in Cardigan Welsh Corgis, Border Collies, and are the standard colour in Labrador Retrievers/Golden Retrievers and certain other breeds.

e_e red puppies are born clear red and will never have any black in their coat. Most "normal" red puppies have an overlay of darker coat at birth which clears to red or tan with the adult coat. Thus e_e red pups must be identified at birth by the absence of any black in their coat.

This ^^^^

As above - ee red masks the expression of the tri gene. The red (or tan) with black with black in the coat are sable. The Sable gene is located at the same locus as the tri gene and is dominant to the tri gene.

Thank's for the replies so far everyone :thumbsup: the litter im talking about had 2 Tri and 3 Tan & Whites in it one Tan and White was PTS due to some illness they got ( Gastro ) but i was told the Tan & Whites only had 5 upper inscissors and one boy a Tri had an over shot jaw, the other Tri has a perfect bite, the Tri that went over shot was given away to some Lady who finds homes for them , this breeder also has a Tan & White male who is very good at getting bitches and got the Dam of these pups again when she came back in season :eek: the last litter were all male this litter were all female but i think it was 2 Tan & White 2 Tri's this time but one of the Tri's is the spitting image of one of the boy's from the previous litter and this litter one of the Tri girls is the runt where as in the last it was a Tan & White boy.

Hi All,

Can a Tri Colour Dog Sire Tan & White puppies in a Litter ?? ( Dam is also a Tri ) also, if any Dentition proplem's show up is it or is it not true that BOTH the parents must carry the gene for it to show up ???

Go for it people... :D

In regard to Tri sireing tan and white. YES. I have a litter here of your breed (altough different lines) and the sire is a tri, the dam a black and white and we have 3 black+white, 1 tri and a 1 tan and white.

The very first litter we breed was a tri sire to a black and white dam and we did get a tan and white as well as two tri's. In a second mating of the same two dogs we got a tan and white and two black and whites.

In another litter between a different tri male and a different black and white bitch we had four black and whites. It was the first litter we have had that didn't have any tri's or tans in it.

As for dentition we have not had any problems. But then it may be that our first lot didn't have any problems so nothing was passed down. Of course it could also be that we have been lucky in that regard. So I can't really help you in that area.

Thank's for the replies so far everyone :thumbsup: the litter im talking about had 2 Tri and 3 Tan & Whites in it one Tan and White was PTS due to some illness they got ( Gastro ) but i was told the Tan & Whites only had 5 upper inscissors and one boy a Tri had an over shot jaw, the other Tri has a perfect bite, the Tri that went over shot was given away to some Lady who finds homes for them , this breeder also has a Tan & White male who is very good at getting bitches and got the Dam of these pups again when she came back in season :eek: the last litter were all male this litter were all female but i think it was 2 Tan & White 2 Tri's this time but one of the Tri's is the spitting image of one of the boy's from the previous litter and this litter one of the Tri girls is the runt where as in the last it was a Tan & White boy.

The above has nothing to do with colour. Tan & White (no black hairs anywhere) are very possible from to 2 Tri's.

You realise that a pup can look more like a Grand parent, and not be immediately sired by it?

Runts, bad mouths and lacking teeth have nothing to do with colour.