Options For Long Term Pet Care

vnv

What are the options if a person needs long term care for their pets (eight months). The cost of commercial boarding would be huge and probably not great for the pets. Are there any other options (for a cat and a dog).

Depending on the circumstances you could apply to MDBA PACERS and they may be able to assist in placing in a foster home.

Instead of boarding you could look into pet minding (where they mind the pet at their house), would probably still cost but be cheaper than a kennel. Or maybe there is someone in the local community who would like temporary pets? I know one of my friends loves looking after other people's pets because it gives them the chance to "have pets" but without the long term responsibilities.

Most at home minders who are professional businesses with insurance etc are actually more expensive than a kennel. I don't think there is any other option unless you can find a friend/ family member to dog sit for that length of time.

Most at home minders who are professional businesses with insurance etc are actually more expensive than a kennel. I don't think there is any other option unless you can find a friend/ family member to dog sit for that length of time.

If you know of a great kennel, have a chat to them. Long, long ago, my family owned boarding kennels, we had two wei's left with us for a year, they just became our dogs and Mum did them a huge!!! deal.

I was asked about finding care for a dog for a few months, I asked a colleague at work and it was agreed at $100 per week for 4 months with owners providing all vet care, flea treatments etc and some food. My colleague does the daily walking and care for the dog, he's in a lot better shape now than when he came and is allowed inside and has another dog for company. The 4 months has gone on to become 6 months and to be honest, i don't think the people really want him back. He's 14 yrs old, poor old boy but at least he's happy.